Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
Bumping this in case anyone knows from previous years.... I guess we'll know for sure in a few hours but any insight on 2018 vs 2019 EQD credit for "buy up" post 1/31 would be appreciated!

Originally Posted by Makr
I'm also curious about this. Does anyone know if I'll get it added towards 2019 if I wait until after my expiration (jan 31st)?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by mohan12
Bumping this in case anyone knows from previous years.... I guess we'll know for sure in a few hours but any insight on 2018 vs 2019 EQD credit for "buy up" post 1/31 would be appreciated!
The FAQ says:

Will my purchase count toward my Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) balance?

Yes. Your purchase price (excluding any taxes) will be deposited to your 2018 EQDs within 5 business days. Purchases made after December 31, 2018 will retroactively be deposited toward 2018 EQDs.
I would actually consider taking my offer if I could make it apply toward 2019's EQD.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Not that it makes it any better, but I just received an email that I could use my miles for the elite boost/upgrade instead of cash.

"For a limited time, here's a special opportunity for you to use AAdvantage miles to secure Gold status or step up to Platinum elite status for 2019."

$799 or 80k miles for Gold
$1545 or 154.5k for Platinum

Thanks, but no thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Not that it makes it any better, but I just received an email that I could use my miles for the elite boost/upgrade instead of cash.

"For a limited time, here's a special opportunity for you to use AAdvantage miles to secure Gold status or step up to Platinum elite status for 2019."

$1545 or 154.5k for Platinum

Thanks, but no thanks.
Ouch...steep prices for cash or miles. Who would spend a hundred and fifty-four thousand Miles for platinum status?
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Thanks, but no thanks.
Indeed, not thanks.(It's the same rate for me)

UA recently offered me their equivalent Silver for only $1699. Ha!
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:54 pm

DP: $1195 or 119.5K miles for Platinum
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I've received no less than 4 additional emails since the original back in Dec 2018 from AA about boosting status, all with no difference in offer of $1245 to PPro.

Who does AA think they are kidding with the relative value of these offers decreasing day by day?
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by mialink
Ended the year with a little over 35,000 miles, but short of qualifying for gold by $100. Offer has dropped from over $600 to $219. AA can try again.
Ask. The made an exception for my kid who was $40 short.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
I flew 61,525 miles last year - over $4900 - and they want about $1200 for platinum. I was platinum for years and have over 60 upgrades banked because rarely have I been upgraded in the last 2 years. This is the second year of similar pattern and only gold status due to the spend requirement. I get little more than I would get with the credit card. I just took 3 flights on Southwest for work - I had 2 bags that went for free, free live TV, the seats were comfortable and leg room was more. I think it may be time to look at price and timing only - perhaps if going on a golf trip and need that extra bag I'll choose southwest. I was surprised - I have lifetime gold with over 1.1 million miles flown and never under 50,000 for at least 15 years - I am unsure what can keep me loyal at this point - and was insulted at the offers for upgrading to platinum that were more than what I had left to spend to make it by the new rules. It was enough of a kick in the face to make me rethink my allegiance.
davelip likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by steves
I flew 61,525 miles last year - over $4900 - and they want about $1200 for platinum. I was platinum for years and have over 60 upgrades banked because rarely have I been upgraded in the last 2 years. This is the second year of similar pattern and only gold status due to the spend requirement. I get little more than I would get with the credit card. I just took 3 flights on Southwest for work - I had 2 bags that went for free, free live TV, the seats were comfortable and leg room was more. I think it may be time to look at price and timing only - perhaps if going on a golf trip and need that extra bag I'll choose southwest. I was surprised - I have lifetime gold with over 1.1 million miles flown and never under 50,000 for at least 15 years - I am unsure what can keep me loyal at this point - and was insulted at the offers for upgrading to platinum that were more than what I had left to spend to make it by the new rules. It was enough of a kick in the face to make me rethink my allegiance.

You were insulted? Take a breath and step back for a minute.

You were $1,100 EQD short of PLT and they offered you a buy-up for $1,200. Take a look at your receipts for the travel you actually did and you'll see that the total amount you paid (including taxes) exceeds the "fare" portion (the part you actually get EQD for) by an average of 8-10%. So IMO it is entirely reasonable to assume $1,200 total spend to get $1,100 EQD.
rumboj likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by jvel
I've received no less than 4 additional emails since the original back in Dec 2018 from AA about boosting status, all with no difference in offer of $1245 to PPro.

Who does AA think they are kidding with the relative value of these offers decreasing day by day?
Yep, I don't know why I'd upgrade to gold for the amount of they want when I'm already OWE. I'd like to send the marketing department an email back telling them to shove it. There are no incremental benefits except the outside chance of an upgrade. I'll just buy F or use another instrument to upgrade.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:39 am

My offer is $395 or 32.5k miles for Executive Platinum .

Last year I did $11,845 EQD and 128,000 EQMs. Only $155 short on EQD and called and asked for a review and they still denied me EP.

Should I take the miles offer? Should be worth it alone of the system sides go through.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Jonathan Rothblatt
My offer is $395 or 32.5k miles for Executive Platinum .

Last year I did $11,845 EQD and 128,000 EQMs. Only $155 short on EQD and called and asked for a review and they still denied me EP.

Should I take the miles offer? Should be worth it alone of the system sides go through.
Relative to the other offers, $395 is definitely attractive to make that jump. It's like buying 4 SWUs and upgrade priority over the ranks of PPro so if you can use it, do it!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:47 am

Right. But I thought the SW do not clear all the time ...
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Jonathan Rothblatt
Right. But I thought the SW do not clear all the time ...
They don't but you'd clear complimentary upgrades in North America ahead of your fellow PPro upgrades and possibly sooner.

SWUs are still quite powerful, it's just that they don't clear ahead of time as much as they used to with more aggressive C inventory management practices so it's often much closer to the flight or even at the gate that they can clear. On premium-heavy routes, your just going to have the roll the dice as a low-EQD EP but overall EP has lots of benefits that would be well worth that offer if you're traveling on AA at all in the next eight months.

That being said, most of the "upgrade" offers are absurd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.