Search

Can I get a refund from AA somehow?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
<snipped>
. The rules aren't obvious, no question. But, as many have said here, they are in fact the rules. There are different fare types, and what you can do to a purchased fare is defined by them. We would all be doing you a disservice if we told you otherwise.
<snipped>
I think the moral of the story is to not check the box saying you agree with the terms without reading the terms
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Formertourguide
It's fascinating to see so many replies to my original question, and just a little bit heartening to see a few sympathetic souls along with the bean counter types.

So what's all this talk about 'discounted fares'? When I bought this seat 7 months ago the price was $246, and today a seat on the same flight is cheaper; thus no discount for early booking at all. And, when searching Google for flights (or any other site) the search parameters never specify refundable vs non-refundable tickets.
The criteria displayed are price, time, departure time, stops, etc .... NOT refundability.

If there is one thing I've learned here, it is the reason for the success of Southwest!
While I sympathize because I've been on the same boat with Alaska (but they were nice about it and refunded me with a court order) that's just how business works. WN is probably the only airline WW that will let you change a flight without a fee unless it's a flexible ticket or refundable. Having a fit because they won't refund you won't get you sympathy from AA cause the fare rules were clear when you bought it.

Also, something I've noticed is that there is little sympathy on FT. Specially if it's on refunds or "HOW MUCH COMP CAN I GET".
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
It's fascinating to see so many replies to my original question, and just a little bit heartening to see a few sympathetic souls along with the bean counter types.

So what's all this talk about 'discounted fares'? When I bought this seat 7 months ago the price was $246, and today a seat on the same flight is cheaper; thus no discount for early booking at all. And, when searching Google for flights (or any other site) the search parameters never specify refundable vs non-refundable tickets.
The criteria displayed are price, time, departure time, stops, etc .... NOT refundability.

If there is one thing I've learned here, it is the reason for the success of Southwest!
Don't worry. You never would have bought the refundable ticket. Prices are usually outrageous.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:41 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
I think the moral of the story is to not check the box saying you agree with the terms without reading the terms
But you can't buy the ticket unless you check the box.
Too much "stuff" on the internet requires agreeing to conditions which I believe most people do not read...it's easier that way and some of the "legalistics" won't make sense anyway.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what's all this talk about 'discounted fares'? <snipped>
You did not purchase full Y (economy) class fare. That is what I meant when I referred to it being a discount fare.
There are different fare levels for seats in the main cabin. They have different restrictions and/or benefits.
The restrictions are available to view (via a link) when you are presented with the checkbox you check to agree to the terms, before you pay for the ticket
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by mvoight; Oct 26, 2018 at 7:59 am
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Ultimately its not want FTers think but the rules of carriage for the ticket chosen. All airlines except for WN charge a change fee. In exchange for a "cheaper" ticket you agree to pay a change fee if your travel plans should change. Whether $200 is a fair fee or a total ripoff is a debatable opinion. Its not like non refundable airline tickets are some deep dark secret not very well known by the general public. That $200 at least in theory helps keeps the cost of airfares down.

We'd all like every airline to follow WN's business model but that will never happen. WN has always had a management that has been resistant to the demands of Wall Street and likely its large shareholders. If not, they'd have change fees and bag fees like everyone else. But WN has consistently been profitable and as I understand for the most recent quarter (Q3) on an operating basis was as profitable AA with about half the revenue.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares

Then fly Southwest, right? I'm not sure why you didn't but it probably has to do with availability/price for your itinerary. People pay different prices for cars, houses, and a myriad of other things. People buy concert/game tickets on the day they go on sale and sell them on StubHub for a loss every day. You lost on this transaction. Stop being a martyr.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Redwood839
While I sympathize because I've been on the same boat with Alaska (but they were nice about it and refunded me with a court order) that's just how business works. WN is probably the only airline WW that will let you change a flight without a fee unless it's a flexible ticket or refundable. Having a fit because they won't refund you won't get you sympathy from AA cause the fare rules were clear when you bought it.

Also, something I've noticed is that there is little sympathy on FT. Specially if it's on refunds or "HOW MUCH COMP CAN I GET".
Why was there a court order to refund a non-refundable ticket?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Why was there a court order to refund a non-refundable ticket?
I stated it wrong. I had court summons for me to be in court on the day of my flight which came AFTER I booked the ticket. I now had a legal obligation to be in court and not on my flight. That made AS refund it.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
So every time something on the Internet asks you to check the "I agree to the terms" box, you actually read the terms? Really, honestly? If so, you're maybe 0.0000001% of the population, and also you're spending an awful lot of time at something terribly boring. I prefer to assume the terms are terrible, then if I have issues try to work them out with the company (which zero times has ever involved them citing those terms) and take my lumps when things don't go my way.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Even WN wouldn't a solution for the OP's situation. They asked for a refund on a non-refundable ticket, not the ability to use it on a future flight without penalty. Although the latter is more or less equivalent to the former for people that travel frequently, if the person in the OP's case doesn't need to travel by the end of the ticket validity period, then WN's policy is effectively the same as everyone's else.

The OP's situation isn't some obscure detail buried in the fine print. The non-refundability of non-refundable tickets is fairly well known, even among people that don't travel. The "non-refundable" nature of the fare is clearly stated on the website, without having to drill down into the CoC or fare rules.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
The "non-refundable" nature of the fare is clearly stated on the website, without having to drill down into the CoC or fare rules.
Yeah, that's really true, and hasn't been mentioned here before you. I stand by my earlier statement that "the rules aren't obvious" but pretty much every place I buy tickets "non-refundable" is directly visible during the process. That's probably enough warning that OP's annoyance here is at least somewhat misplaced.

OP: bottom line is the same. You don't have any recourse, and this is completely garden-variety policy. Hopefully you learned a bit about how it works, and stick around here and end up knowing way more. We're here to help each other know more...lord knows I've been set straight about a thing or two.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:06 pm

So, "discount" in this usage doesn't mean you got a special deal somehow, or a reward for early booking; just about every fare you'll find searching online will be "discount" unless you're booking one of the very last seats on the plane. That's mostly because every search engine is geared toward low fares instead of maximum flexibility. Like others here have said the true "full-fare" tickets are generally really crazy outrageously expensive; almost nobody (including me) flies them. If you want to know more about the individual fare types and what they mean, this thread is comprehensive on the subject. Start with the wiki at top.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: QF WP
Death will also do it
seems a bit extreme!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:30 am

So what's all this talk about 'discounted fares'? When I bought this seat 7 months ago the price was $246, and today a seat on the same flight is cheaper; thus no discount for early booking at all.
You are confused. No one said there was a discount for early booking. The discount is in exchange for restrictive rules such as those you are now upset about.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.