Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I get a refund from AA somehow?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Can I get a refund from AA somehow?

I made a reservation for 2, and need to cancel 1 of those seats. AA says I will forfeit $200. Wouldn't they like to sell that seat? Why not refund my cost, then sell it higher to a late booking passenger? Is there some way for me to get a refund, or, can I just occupy 2 seats? Or can I sell it to the desk agent who wants to put someone on the plane at the last minute?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Formertourguide
I made a reservation for 2, and need to cancel 1 of those seats. AA says I will forfeit $200.
Welcome to Flyertalk Formertourguide. Correct. Any residual value can be used by the ticketed passenger.

Wouldn't they like to sell that seat?
They will.

Why not refund my cost, then sell it higher to a late booking passenger?
What do you think they can gain by refunding you? They can still sell the seat again.

Is there some way for me to get a refund, or, can I just occupy 2 seats?
No. If the ticketed passenger doesn't check in or board, the seat will be assignable to any remaining passenger. If there are no passengers who take the seat, you can certainly spread out.

Or can I sell it to the desk agent who wants to put someone on the plane at the last minute?
Again, why would the airline require you to sell your ticket?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's a non-refundable fare, you can't get a refund, unless there is a significant advance schedule change or a significant delay (or cancellation) on the day of departure.
AA already sold the seat, why would they want to have to try to sell it again? That costs money.

Technically you can't just occupy two seats. If the second boarding pass isn't scanned at the gate, then that seat will be marked a 'no-show' and may be released to standby travelers at the last minute. You *could* try to scan the boarding pass at the gate, but you'd want to tell the agent that you're scanning for an extra seat (otherwise the physical passenger count on board will be wrong and potentially hold up departure). If they don't look closely at the boarding pass, this might work. But technically you did not purchase the second seat as an "XTRA SEAT", and name changes are not allowed. I don't know the practical implications of attempting this. I suppose the worst case is that they make you forefeit the seat and cancel the ticket/reservation. Which shouldn't put you any worse off than where you started.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

"What do you think they can gain by refunding you? They can still sell the seat again."

What they would gain is a happier customer, who might book more flights with AA.
Due to this $200 per change policy, they lose any future revenue from me and from
my acquaintances who hear this tale, and who might have been thinking of flying AA but will
now book another carrier. Good customer service is good advertising, and vice versa.
777lover likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:16 pm

Ha no. They don't care about you potentially booking more flights in the future. $ is $.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:21 pm

It's natural for newbies to question the logic, and to wonder if they can negotiate. No, you cannot negotiate. It is a waste of time to try to understand why the rules exist. They exist. If you didn't like the rules, you should not have bought the ticket.

Finally, it is pointless to threaten that you will never fly AA again. That always causes much mirth on Flyertalk.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"What do you think they can gain by refunding you? They can still sell the seat again."

What they would gain is a happier customer, who might book more flights with AA.
Due to this $200 per change policy, they lose any future revenue from me and from
my acquaintances who hear this tale, and who might have been thinking of flying AA but will
now book another carrier. Good customer service is good advertising, and vice versa.
Have you found a competing airline on the same route that offers a more generous cancellation policy?
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
How long ago did you book it? Most fares allow a 24 hour period to cancel provided you booked directly with the airline.
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Right now AA (and every other airline) has no problem filling seats. Most of its key customers are hub captive or might stay due to FF benefits. Leisure flyers by far book on price.

At the end of the day airlines really don't care about "satisfied" customers. If demand moderately declines or costs moderately rise the airlines can simply park planes and/or defer delivery of new planes while cutting capacity. The consumer has shown no willingness to pay for amenities. Typical they pay for a cheap flight on an ULCC, get jammed into an inhuman seat, charged for all kinds of add ons (like printing a BP while IIRC not having mobile BPs), and stranding you for hours should your flight should be canceled. Then "....." on social media about the experience. Sadly stupid people seem to be as endless as cockroaches and rats. ULCC bank on that fact and its why they are wildly financially successful.
Uzzar likes this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

You will quickly run out of airlines to fly if you follow your logic.

If you need a flight to be somewhat refundable, you can book more expensive refundable fares. Usually not cheap at all. Or if Southwest flies the route, buy from them, and get a credit toward a future flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
They don't care at all about you spending more money or telling your acquaintances.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FormertourguideWelcome to FT

Due to this $200 per change policy, they lose any future revenue from me and from my acquaintances who hear this tale, and who might have been thinking of flying AA but will now book another carrier. Good customer service is good advertising, and vice versa.
So "never fly AA again"?
This is common with most(all?) airlines with low priced tickets. They have t&c's for cancellations & changes. Not unusual for tickets to be non changeable & no cancellation. If want flexibility you need to buy a high priced ticket.
enviroian, trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent

If AA's change fee policy is why why they'll "lose any future revenue" from you and said acquaintances, I'm afraid your group will be restricted to only flying Southwest. My condolences.
James91 and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Jury Duty, Court Summons etc will likely see you get a refund, but outside of that then unfortunately it's tough luck.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
The only option, and no one has mentioned it, is if there has been a substantial schedule change on your flight, I think is over 1 hour or more, you have the option for cancellation and refund.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.