Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buddy pass pax gone wild on AA (July 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buddy pass pax gone wild on AA (July 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jspira
You are continuing to quote your document as opposed to anything relevant such as an actual AA non-rev policy or an actual and current policy for interns.

P.S. I hate the phrase "#FakeNews " but it really is appropriate here as it's very misleading to continue to cite a document that has no relevance to the airline's policy for non-rev dress or the airline's policy for interns.
You mean citing a document which AA has put up on its official website? You're entitled to your opinion; others will decide for themselves.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You mean citing a document which AA has put up on its official website? You're entitled to your opinion; others will decide for themselves.
I would wager AA has no idea it's still there.

As everyone hear clearly knows, the non-rov dress policy shifted a year ago and a document clearly dated "2012" would be obsolete no matter what.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As everyone hear clearly knows, the non-rov dress policy shifted a year ago and a document clearly dated "2012" would be obsolete no matter what.
And then there's this: Link.

In any case, as I said, you're entitled to your opinion. Perhaps you can arrange to acquire a pass from a friend who's an AA employee. Then try to fly on it wearing short, cutoff jeans (without her rant, of course! ) and let us know how it goes.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
@jspira is correct. Intern dress standards from six years ago have nothing to do with today's non-rev dress code.

This is the language from the March 2018 edition of the American Airlines employees Travel Guide:
Dress guidelines while traveling

For most of us, being comfortable in flight extends to the clothes we wear. American doesn’t have a prescribed dress code for our non-revenue guests. So, as long as your clothing is neat and clean and doesn’t offend or distract, you’re good to fly in any class (including premium cabins). If you’re looking for more specifics, here are a few:
  • When we say offensive or distractive, we mean you shouldn’t wear anything that’s overly revealing (like super short shorts or something that is sheer or see through). That also extends to swimwear or sleepwear (of course it’s always okay to change into your American-provided pajamas if you’re lucky to snag a First Class seat on a premium international flight!)
  • It also means to avoid any attire that is vulgar or violates community standards of decency
  • When in doubt, ask yourself, “Do I blend in with customers?” If so, you’re probably set
If you’re traveling for the company, business or business casual clothing is encouraged. And, jumpseat riders should consult their operating department, Flight Manual or leader for dress guidelines.
jspira, wrp96 and Science Goy like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:23 pm

That does display the current policy and it fully supports what I said about jeans and sneakers. What was linked to in the 2012 document was clearly out of date. It’s not a matter of opinion. It’s a matter of AA current policy.
wrp96 and Science Goy like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
@jspira is correct. Intern dress standards from six years ago have nothing to do with today's non-rev dress code.

This is the language from the March 2018 edition of the American Airlines employees Travel Guide:
Thanks. The repetition of incorrect information went on far too long and I appreciate your pointing this out.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
That does display the current policy and it fully supports what I said about jeans and sneakers. What was linked to in the 2012 document was clearly out of date. It’s not a matter of opinion. It’s a matter of AA current policy.
+1

If "do I blend in with customers" is the standard, then it's abundantly clear that jspira is on the right side of this argument.
jspira likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I linked to this in the immediately preceding post.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Science Goy
+1

If "do I blend in with customers" is the standard, then it's abundantly clear that jspira is on the right side of this argument.
Yup, and if "do I blend in with customers" is the new standard, then the woman who is the subject of this entire thread was prevented from boarding the flight from MIA to JFK for a reason other than her clothes......especially at a gate in MIA.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by jcatman
Yup, and if "do I blend in with customers" is the new standard, then the woman who is the subject of this entire thread was prevented from boarding the flight from MIA to JFK for a reason other than her clothes......especially at a gate in MIA.
Which is another entirely salient point. I'm sure most of us have seen passengers worse-dressed than this (as you note, particularly out of MIA )
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I just checked with a friend. One way KIN-MIA-JFK/LGA is $250 in F/J or $218 in Y plus $91 imputed income for the employee.

In my book, considering all the hassle involved in non-rev travel, D3 travel is simply not worth that kind money for that itinerary (a D3 passenger's chances of getting into a premium cabin are slim to none).

....and if you paid your cousin $50 ...

that being said, walk up fares tomorrow on JetBlue range from 517 to 761 so it still might be a savings
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Look at.the video, friends. She wasn’t wearing jeans as much as she was wearing tattered strips and remnants of what had once been jeans, revealing her thighs (as she states in the video, iirc). I’ve seen a number of homeless / Street people better dressed. I understand why she was turned down - and might she even have been turned down as a revenue passenger?

As for a KIN Gate Agent being terminated, none of us are aware of the reason(s) nor what previous disciplinary actions might have been in her personnel record. .
jspira and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
The woman definitely has issues. A commenter on OMAAT shared a link to a radio show in Kingston, NY where she was interviewed about an incident in Dunkin Donuts where she claimed an employee stole $20.00 from her. I guess that was ‘t worth live Facebooking.

Is there any kind of document a non rev has to sign that states they will behave? Maybe there should be.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by cruisr

Is there any kind of document a non rev has to sign that states they will behave? Maybe there should be.
Typically the idea that one' s travel benefits will be cut (or, in egregious cases, the employee will be terminated) suffices.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by cruisr
The woman definitely has issues. A commenter on OMAAT shared a link to a radio show in Kingston, NY where she was interviewed about an incident in Dunkin Donuts where she claimed an employee stole $20.00 from her. I guess that was ‘t worth live Facebooking.

I'm trying to find this comment and can't seem to find the interview. Can you share it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.