Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buddy pass pax gone wild on AA (July 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buddy pass pax gone wild on AA (July 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And then there's this: Link.

In any case, as I said, you're entitled to your opinion. Perhaps you can arrange to acquire a pass from a friend who's an AA employee. Then try to fly on it wearing short, cutoff jeans (without her rant, of course! ) and let us know how it goes.
In the spirit of community support, I volunteer for this experiment however I'll need a seat in a premium cabin (preferably a 77W in F) and of course I'll have the correct apparel readily at hand so as to avoid being denied boarding when advised about policy. Perhaps I could substitute a kilt in lieu of the cutoff jeans?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by donotblink
I'm trying to find this comment and can't seem to find the interview. Can you share it?

It is in the comment section at 6:03 pm
https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....ines/#comments
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by cruisr
The woman definitely has issues. A commenter on OMAAT shared a link to a radio show in Kingston, NY where she was interviewed about an incident in Dunkin Donuts where she claimed an employee stole $20.00 from her. I guess that was ‘t worth live Facebooking.

Is there any kind of document a non rev has to sign that states they will behave? Maybe there should be.
My recollection is that I had some sort of click through agreement the first time I non-reved. I could be wrong though.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
My recollection is that I had some sort of click through agreement the first time I non-reved. I could be wrong though.
i non reved once, with my then 5YO child. It was totally free for the both of us, no taxes IIRC and I could have sworn I had to acknowledge a code of conduct. It ended up costing me a hotel night and cabs and meals as we only made it as far as ATL and then couldnt get further till the next day. They had a mechanical and suddenly a flight i could get on vanished for availability. Never flew non rev again.
jcatman likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: QF
Same thing happened back in 2010 when Ruby Rose had a friend with QF staff travel benefits. Some travel companions just don't 'get it' and fail to realise you
can't carry on like a prima donna when flying non-rev or turn up looking like something the cat dragged in.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...2a1597dc025d36
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I was surprised, I listened to the entire radio show she was a guest on and genuinely had thought that she was trying to pull a fast one on Dunkin' Donuts, but I pulled up her live stream for the incident (linked below), and it shows the police being called, reviewing surveillance footage and returning $20 in cash to her.

Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Look at.the video, friends. She wasn’t wearing jeans as much as she was wearing tattered strips and remnants of what had once been jeans, revealing her thighs (as she states in the video, iirc). I’ve seen a number of homeless / Street people better dressed. I understand why she was turned down - and might she even have been turned down as a revenue passenger?
Can't agree more with this, those were not jeans and under the most generous read of the policy TWA884 posted the jeans pants shorts thing that this pax was wearing was completely inappropriate and clearly qualified as "super short shorts" given where the denim ended/restarted.

As for a KIN Gate Agent being terminated, none of us are aware of the reason(s) nor what previous disciplinary actions might have been in her personnel record. .
You are correct we do not know and frankly will probably never know but it sure seems like he/she got screwed because this went viral and IMO not catching a dress code violation should fall below the termination line but in the world of viral videos and internet vigilantism many companies act fast to cut ties rather than think things through especially given a GA isn't exactly an irreplaceable asset. I could be wrong and there's more to it, as was mentioned above perhaps the GA was the cousin which would very much change my viewpoint.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ryan182
...perhaps the GA was the cousin which would very much change my viewpoint.
According to Savvy Stews (The Aluminum Lady), the cousin was PHL based and has also been terminated.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TWA884
According to Savvy Stews (The Aluminum Lady), the cousin was PHL based and has also been terminated.
All she had to do was become aware of the policies, buy some leggings or suitable trousers or skirt, and fly on home uneventfully. The woman certainly accomplished a lot with her extensive use of social media, though apparently not her goals.

She was forced to buy tickets for two and take the bus home from Miami to NYC.

She got her cousin fired (I’m guessing once they focused on the cousin, they found things like selling buddy passes or ?} and probably undying enmity.

She got the KIN Gate Agent fired.

She likely didn’t get a refund on fees and taxes she paid, not to mention any premium she may have paid to her cousin.

She was banned temporarily from her social media account. (Nope, I’m not going to read that train wreck when she returns.)

I wonder if she learned anything? From the Dunkin‘ Donuts incident, I suspect not.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 24, 2018 at 7:40 am
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:47 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by JDiver
She likely didn’t get a refund on fees and taxes she paid...
Charges, fees and taxes for non-rev travel are assessed only after each segment is flown and are automatically deducted from the sponsoring employee's paycheck or, for retirees, charged to a credit or debit card.
By providing your card information, you authorize American Airlines to charge the provided card for any balance due after each segment of your trip has been flown, and if you store your card for future trips, for any balances due after each segment of all future trips. You understand that your authorization will remain valid for any trip scheduled using this card, and that deleting or changing your stored payment information will not cancel this authorization. You may cancel your charge authorization for a scheduled trip only by canceling that trip. You also understand that the bank that issues your card may assess fees for each transaction.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Charges, fees and taxes for non-rev travel are assessed only after each segment is flown and are automatically deducted from the sponsoring employee's paycheck or, for retirees, charged to a credit or debit card.
I presume she already pre-paid her cousin, and so it's up to her now unemployed cousin whether to return those funds. Nothing like a good family drama!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I personally wish airlines would try and sue people like this for slander/defamation when they are clearly wrong, and using social media to virally spread their nonsense. Even just as a scare tactic. I mean I am all for free speech, but when you are this wrong, refusing to listen to reason, and spread your nonsense all over the internet for millions....

I guarantee you there are thousands of plebs out there that watched/heard the video have no clue what kind of passenger she actually was, and are spreading the AA hate etc. I know AA will be fine, and I doubt they have any interested in dragging someone like this through the mud some more, but I really wish airlines would start responding back to the new norm of social media bullying when you don't (correctly) get your way.
cruisr and ozflygirl747 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by donotblink
She stole food from a concession stand. She slept in the airport terminal overnight and unsuccessfully attempted to board a plane in the morning. She claims to have paid full price for the buddy passes, saying that she saw the same price on cheap-o-air.
She also posted on Facebook "I am now being told I cannot fly using those tickets so once again I am refused To get on the flight supposedly due to my behavior as if I’m supposed to remain goddamn calm when my child and I have been traveling for almost 24 hours I have not slept since 5 AM yesterday morning and I’m supposed to remain goddamn calm" (sic)
See these follow up videos:
Why was the food there anyway - I'm sure they didn't lay it out just for non-revs who weren't going to make it to NYC that night? Usually they only have that kind of thing in the event of major delays or irrops of some kind like when the MIA bound 763 had a mishap ie caught fire on the runway.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ozflygirl747
Why was the food there anyway - I'm sure they didn't lay it out just for non-revs who weren't going to make it to NYC that night? Usually they only have that kind of thing in the event of major delays or irrops of some kind like when the MIA bound 763 had a mishap ie caught fire on the runway.
Exactly, it was not a concession stand, its he cart of free food that AA puts out in case of IRROPs, probably not for her flight, but I wouldn't consider that stealing.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by ozflygirl747
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Exactly, it was not a concession stand, its he cart of free food that AA puts out in case of IRROPs, probably not for her flight, but I wouldn't consider that stealing.
Those are put out in case of delays. I guess AA had those specific carts out for the displaced misconnects that would make their way to the service center. Now when AA has put out a cart for a flight that I was going to be on, I let all the pax grab what they want, then I grabbed a soda from what was left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.