Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buddy pass pax gone wild on AA (July 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buddy pass pax gone wild on AA (July 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The rules for passengers traveling on employee discount passes are contained in the union contract for cabin crew.
Only unionized cabin crew employees get these passes?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
The rules for passengers traveling on employee discount passes are contained in the union contract for cabin crew.
That is incorrect. Non-Rev travel is 100% non-contractual benefit and can be changed or withdrawn at any time by the airline.
cruisr and TWA884 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by dls25
This woman's behaviour and language are ridiculous but I honestly do believe there may have been some miscommunication between her and her cousin. A JFK-KIN guest pass is around $390 and the cheapest JFK-KIN tickets are around $425. It seems that she may have thought that she bought a regular ticket with some sort of friends and family discount instead of a space-available guest pass - nowhere in her rant does she seem to realize or acknowledge that she does not have a confirmed seat.

Not excusing the behavior but her cousin should share the blame for giving the guest pass to an obviously unstable person and not fully explaining to her what she was getting and the rules involved.

Are you sure the JFK-KIN guest pass is $390? That seems pretty high compared to what I have paid on longer routes, although its certainly a function of taxes. If it was a matter of $35, it would be crazy to fly on a buddy pass with standby status and no mileage credit.

And, while she seems like a very confused and entitled person, she must have understood that it wasn't a guaranteed seat. Among other things, her name would have been on the standby list.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Confirmed- GA in Jamaica was fired!
Do we know that she wore exactly the same outfit when she was confirmed and boarded in Jamaica?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do we know that she wore exactly the same outfit when she was confirmed and boarded in Jamaica?
If not what happened to the other outfit as she could have simply changed back into it?
I don't see why she decided to go through all of this crap rather than to rush to a nearby store at JFK for something to wear
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dls25
That is incorrect. Non-Rev travel is 100% non-contractual benefit and can be changed or withdrawn at any time by the airline.
I have a copy of the contract, but can't find it right now and don't have the time to look. I thought that it was in the contract. Anyway, this document seems somewhat relevant, as well. See page 29 regarding dress code. While this is for interns, I'd be surprised if there weren't a similar provision for employees. Link.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mvoight
If not what happened to the other outfit as she could have simply changed back into it?
I don't see why she decided to go through all of this crap rather than to rush to a nearby store at JFK for something to wear
I agree, but wasn't she stuck at MIA trying to get to JFK?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Gotta say, well done by AA ground staff. She was tossing bait everywhere and no one bit. as a result, her video shows AA be behaving professionally and her looking like an unhinged crazy.

it is easy to get sucked into stuff and react. The lack of it means that her lawsuit will be summarily dismissed.
Very much agree, she was clearly trying to get a response and everyone of the AA employees handled that situation very professionally. Kudos to all those folks in the many videos who took all her nonsense in stride and maintained their composure!

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Confirmed- GA in Jamaica was fired!
This I don't agree with, while certainly they should have caught that in Jamaica I don't think the GA there should have been fired over this. He/She should have been called out on the miss and had some sort of a reprimand but I think termination for missing a dress code problem is a bit much assuming her behavior in Jamaica wasn't anything like what happened in MIA.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ryan182
This I don't agree with, while certainly they should have caught that in Jamaica I don't think the GA there should have been fired over this. He/She should have been called out on the miss and had some sort of a reprimand but I think termination for missing a dress code problem is a bit much assuming her behavior in Jamaica wasn't anything like what happened in MIA.
Or that the GA in Jamaica wasn’t actually her cousin? Or a relative/friend/friend of the cousin who purposely let her skate on the pants issue?
ijgordon and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
No, they are not. Pass travel is not part of the union contract (or contained in any contract) nor is any reference made to it in the contract.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Are you sure the JFK-KIN guest pass is $390? That seems pretty high compared to what I have paid on longer routes, although its certainly a function of taxes. If it was a matter of $35, it would be crazy to fly on a buddy pass with standby status and no mileage credit.

And, while she seems like a very confused and entitled person, she must have understood that it wasn't a guaranteed seat. Among other things, her name would have been on the standby list.
Unfortunately, there are around $200 worth of taxes on a US-Jamaica RT. A guest pass for this route is $95 each way plus taxes. Re: the $35 price difference, this is why I am saying she might not have understood what she was getting. B6 and CM are both offering JFK-KIN tickets for around $425 so it makes little sense to use a guest pass on this route - but somehow I suspect that sort of analysis is beyond Nardia's abilities.

Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:24 pm

I have a copy of the contract, but can't find it right now and don't have the time to look. I thought that it was in the contract. Anyway, this document seems somewhat relevant, as well. See page 29 regarding dress code. While this is for interns, I'd be surprised if there weren't a similar provision for employees. Link.
I looked at your page 29. There is no prohibition against wearing jeans or tennis shoes for anyone using travel benefits, including interns. What you posted is essentially #FakeNews .
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Are you sure the JFK-KIN guest pass is $390?
I just checked with a friend. One way KIN-MIA-JFK/LGA is $250 in F/J or $218 in Y plus $91 imputed income for the employee.

In my book, considering all the hassle involved in non-rev travel, D3 travel is simply not worth that kind money for that itinerary (a D3 passenger's chances of getting into a premium cabin are slim to none).
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jspira
I looked at your page 29. There is no prohibition against wearing jeans or tennis shoes for anyone using travel benefits, including interns. What you posted is essentially #FakeNews .
Um, no. "Do not wear jeans, tennis shoes, shorts or flip flops as you will not be accepted on the flight"
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:57 pm

Um, no. "Do not wear jeans, tennis shoes, shorts or flip flops as you will not be accepted on the flight"
You are continuing to quote your document as opposed to anything relevant such as an actual AA non-rev policy or an actual and current policy for interns.

Placing reliance upon any document that is not current and attempting to make an argument that it is factual is actually folly instead.

P.S. I hate the phrase "#FakeNews " but it really is appropriate here as it's very misleading to continue to cite a document that has no relevance to the airline's policy for non-rev dress or the airline's policy for interns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.