Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can AA get any worse? (Charging nonstatus pax $75 standby complaint)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:57 am
Original Poster

AA is now even lower than low. Granted I’ve never been an AA or USAir fan (loved Piedmont until USAir destroyed that one - so I’m aging myself). Having traveled for the past 20+ years on multiple airlines for business, I’ve recently been spoiled with the SWA model having lived in the BWI area for the past three years. Also having million mile status on DL and UAL may also influence my feelings about AA. I arrived at the airport early and thought I could get on an earlier flights (they leave every hour). I asked the gate agent if there are any seats and she mentions that the flight is 3/4 full. Then she checks my status and informed me that it will be an additional $75 to go standby. Great for AA’s bottom line, but not for building any form of loyalty with me! They can take that fee structure and go pound sand! They will still be a last resort airline for me. One other note, when I was flying them last week there was a soiled diaper in the seat back. Maybe they could use that $75 that others are paying to improve their sanitation on the airline. How low can AA go?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

so you turned up, wanted to take an early flight and AA had the gall to charge the price listed for the facility?
bse118, dls25, dickinson and 16 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
So lets see here, unless you have higher level elite status in some cases, Delta and United charge similar fees to go confirmed on earlier flights and Southwest requires an upfare. So whats the problem?!?!
dw likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
so you turned up, wanted to take an early flight and AA had the gall to charge the price listed for the facility?
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
So lets see here, unless you have higher level elite status in some cases, Delta and United charge similar fees to go confirmed on earlier flights and Southwest requires an upfare. So whats the problem?!?!
Come now.....FT wouldn't be FT without people griping about how the airline didn't give them something for free.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:30 am

Prediction: yet another drive-by thread.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Welcome to FlyerTalk er... congrats on your first post after a decade of membership?

Lesson learned - in the age of unbundling, never assume you'll be able to get on an earlier flight, check a bag, select a seat, eat a meal onboard, or receive any other perk at no charge. Most airlines make tables of these fees available on their websites. It's a terrific deal for those of us who rarely or never want these extras, but some people unfortunately get taken by surprise.
Calchas likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
There are many sound reasons to criticize American Airlines. This one falls toward the bottom of that list.
wrp96, mikesyr18, bosman and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Try standby on Southwest - they would require you to upgrade to Anytime fare which could be more than $75. And I don't think Southwest refunds the fare difference if you don't clear, whereas American refunds the $75 fee if you don't get on the flight.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Austin787
Try standby on Southwest - they would require you to upgrade to Anytime fare which could be more than $75. And I don't think Southwest refunds the fare difference if you don't clear, whereas American refunds the $75 fee if you don't get on the flight.
How can you not clear an upfare? An upfare means “we’re selling you a ticket for this flight”. Wouldn’t that be IDB: “you sold me a ticket and didn’t board me”? It’s different from standby in that they shouldn’t be selling you the ticket.

Also: A-list and A-list Preferred can stand by for free, so you’re a bit out of date on that.

https://www.southwest.com/html/gener...tiers_faq.html
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:09 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by econometrics
There are many sound reasons to criticize American Airlines. This one falls toward the bottom of that list.
Yeah, I'd be much more upset about the poopy diaper. And before I had status, I gladly paid $75 to get out early a few times.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
it is in the airline's interest to fill empty seats on an earlier flight , as a corollary of AA's D0 push. Airlines charge more for certain flights based on an assumption there is more demand for those flights, but that doesn't apply on day of flight.

Of course, the same argument doesn't apply for wanting to switch to a later flight.
Come now.....FT wouldn't be FT without people griping about how the airline didn't give them something for free.
OP and others are doing the airline a favor by going out on an earlier flight with empty seats.
Oxnardjan and LINDEGR like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: DL Platinum UA Silver
American actually has one of the more generous same day change options out there. United and Delta both charge their lowest elites for standby, but American doesn’t.
AAdamE likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by asalamon
AA is now even lower than low. Granted I’ve never been an AA or USAir fan (loved Piedmont until USAir destroyed that one - so I’m aging myself). Having traveled for the past 20+ years on multiple airlines for business, I’ve recently been spoiled with the SWA model having lived in the BWI area for the past three years. Also having million mile status on DL and UAL may also influence my feelings about AA. I arrived at the airport early and thought I could get on an earlier flights (they leave every hour). I asked the gate agent if there are any seats and she mentions that the flight is 3/4 full. Then she checks my status and informed me that it will be an additional $75 to go standby. Great for AA’s bottom line, but not for building any form of loyalty with me! They can take that fee structure and go pound sand! They will still be a last resort airline for me. One other note, when I was flying them last week there was a soiled diaper in the seat back. Maybe they could use that $75 that others are paying to improve their sanitation on the airline. How low can AA go?
AA could become worse. It could become UA.

The WN model? You mean the model that offers absolutely NOTHING? No F, no lounges, almost no Intl', no code share with One World or Star Alliance, no advanced seating reservations, no food..and an ff program that offers little more than marginally better odds at a COACH seat? That WN? The McDonalds of the sky with the undignified cornball schtick?

It seems you were mad about wanting something that the airline charges for and having to pay for it. That's the way things work...you want something, you pay for it. Even WN makes you pay the fare diff. That is ,if you bought higher than a WGA fare.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
With the thread title, I can picture Doug Parker somewhere saying "hold my beer....".
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by asalamon
Can AA get any worse?
Yes
AAdamE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.