Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can AA get any worse? (Charging nonstatus pax $75 standby complaint)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can AA get any worse? (Charging nonstatus pax $75 standby complaint)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by rjw242
OP, and more generally anyone who wants to stand by for an earlier flight, by definition places value on being able to change to the earlier flight. It's eminently reasonable for AA or any company to charge for added value.
if someone wants X but doesn't want to pay for it, then by definition, its not worth the price to them. Just like many people want a ferrari or lambo or hermes birkin yadda yadda, but don't want to pay for it.
Not sure if you're arguing in bad faith or just hopelessly confused about an utterly simple concept.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're the latter.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I had a ticket with KA/CX, not only did they let me switch to an earlier flight, they let me do it from a different airport SHA vs PVG
Just reinforces the point that different airlines have different policies for their individual markets.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Just reinforces the point that different airlines have different policies for their individual markets.
Well the point I would have reinforced is that it never hurts to ask , as the original plan had been to take the bus from hongqiao train station to PVG. I don't really care what a company's policy is, only what that agent can do for me.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if someone wants X but doesn't want to pay for it, then by definition, its not worth the price to them. Just like many people want a ferrari or lambo or hermes birkin yadda yadda, but don't want to pay for it.
Then they can't have it. Just like if you want an earlier flight but don't want to pay (and aren't elite), then in most cases you can't have it. It's not that difficult.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does AA have a crystal ball? Given what the IR in IRROPs stand for, they won't know .
Unknown?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I flew Delta last week where I have no status. I wanted to standby for an earlier flight and went to the SkyClub using my AmexPlat. They took my AmexPlat, charged me $75, and put me on standby for the earlier flight. I didn't think it made DL a sucky airline because of this policy and it certainly beat the alternative of changing my ticket and paying a fee which is probably 150 or 200. I agree I prefer the days when airlines would let everyone standby for an earlier flight without charge.
Back in the day Southwest let you standby and switch flights for no issue at all. I was at the airport, waiting for my flight, when there was an overhead asking if anybody spoke Chinese. I went out of security (it was a cinch back in those days) and helped a man who was trying to buy a ticket to Vegas and only AA was available (the agents were discriminatory and refused to give change to him in cash, requiring me to pony up myself. I don't even know the guy!)
Anyway, so I come back and my flight has left (this is OAK, intra-CA, meaning flights leave every half hour or so), told the agent, explained what I was doing, got on the next flight. No problem at all.
It wasn't a big deal because the man I helped was flying AA. Back then people helped each other out.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Then they can't have it. Just like if you want an earlier flight but don't want to pay (and aren't elite), then in most cases you can't have it. It's not that difficult.
Thats not what the poster was talking about. That poster was talking about someone wanting it and thus that thing having value. Your comment is not related
OP, and more generally anyone who wants to stand by for an earlier flight, by definition places value on being able to change to the earlier flight.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
WN's boarding system is simple? LOL. How can you get any more simple than "pay attention to the giant boarding group number on the your BP"? WN's system of assigning A,B,C groups is completely opaque to me.
Hmm, any school child can understand it. Maybe you need to get a refresher?

WN's got it's niche. But let's not pretend it's a full service airline.
And pretend AA is? What exactly do you mean by full-service?
Oh, and what do full-service airlines become when they sell basic economy tickets? Full-service to some, not full to others? Half-service?
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Oh, and what do full-service airlines become when they sell basic economy tickets? Full-service to some, not full to others? Half-service?
Only the better half
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
Try flying almost anywhere OTHER than the USA. Ask here in Australia if you can get on the earlier flight and unless the airline has concerns about weather/operational problems later (in which case they likely would have made the offer at check in) you won't be asked to pay $75...You will be told "Your ticket doesn't allow that".
Especially as a non status pax which was the OP's position.... wonder what the OP would say about QANTAS after experiencing that?

Interesting that the defence of WN ended up including the benefits of A-List etc...… Shouldn't the comparison have REMAINED with "no status"?
Actually, I thought it was because they actually cannot do it. I know the infrastructure and IT in the US is poor, but in other countries it is even more behind.
Like you cannot checkin (with bags) more than 2 hours in advance? Since when? In the US it is dependent on the carrier and actual agent you encounter, but they usually can, just choose not to. In some other countries they actually cannot.
I wouldn't be surprised if the IT in Australia didn't allow them to do it, period. Even if they wanted to.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:55 pm

Only the better half
Soon they will look at your status to determine whether or not you get a free drink. Ah, BE? Sorry, only water. No refills.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
My son had same experience on a connection when he arrived early in CLT heading to DEN. As he had Admirals club membership, he waited the extra 2 hours in comfort, enjoyed a meal and a few drinks. Overall cost to him was $0, while his food and beverage likely hit AA for about $20. Sad to see any seat go out empty. Likely enjoyed by a non-rev employee though.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I wouldn't be surprised if the IT in Australia didn't allow them to do it, period. Even if they wanted to.
It is rather laughable to suggest that AA's IT is good. The systems in Australia work really well ; if someone has a flexible ticket then there is no issue at all going online and making the change or , at the airport, asking at the check in desk to get on to an earlier flight

If there is a reason that the airline wants to get people out earlier, then the checkin kiosks will inform the passenger checking in that he can get on an earlier flight if wishes to do so

If someone turns up at a check in desk and has an inflexible ticket, then will be generally just told that needs to wait for the next flight; there is not much in the way of agent roulette where may find an agent ignoring rules

As far as accepting baggage , that isn't an IT issue, that is the airports not wanting baggage for long periods of time - travel through nmerous countries in Asia , such as Singapore, Malaysia, UAE it is quite possible for bags to stay checked through for up to 24 hours on a connection with no issue , which is a lot better than what AA mamages in USA
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by drussum
My son had same experience on a connection when he arrived early in CLT heading to DEN. As he had Admirals club membership, he waited the extra 2 hours in comfort, enjoyed a meal and a few drinks. Overall cost to him was $0, while his food and beverage likely hit AA for about $20. Sad to see any seat go out empty. Likely enjoyed by a non-rev employee though.
What is sad about it? how do you know that a seat went empty but wasn't taken by someone else who was prepared to pay for it ; even if it cost AA $20 , then selling it for $75 to someone else would leave AA $55 better off.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What is sad about it? how do you know that a seat went empty but wasn't taken by someone else who was prepared to pay for it ; even if it cost AA $20 , then selling it for $75 to someone else would leave AA $55 better off.
Thats pretty optimistic , seeing how its a fixed $75 fee and not dynamic based on demand/supply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.