Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can AA get any worse? (Charging nonstatus pax $75 standby complaint)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can AA get any worse? (Charging nonstatus pax $75 standby complaint)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Same-day change fees are so low on my radar, I wouldn't have thought about it if this was an open-ended "Why is AA bad?" thread!

For me, I'll be giving Delta a chance because of the 737-MAX configuration and "Project Oasis", which like "Right to work" and "PATRIOT Act", is an ironically misleading nomenclature. I pick legacy airlines because they aren't LCCs! I wish AA would realize that they can be BETTER than the LCCs instead of matching them with tiny pitched seats and micro bathrooms. The grass might not be greener in reality but on paper, DL has IFE, more pitch, and at least has the decency to install power ports at every F seat. And not that I will buy BE but they at least includ the carry-on, knowing it will be gate checked 99% of the time.

So for me, AA can't get worse than their new domestic fleet cabins, even though their international J cabins and Flagship Lounges are a top notch hard product.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: FB Gold, MB Plat, Hertz President's Circle
$75 feels cheap. Especially if you don't have status with an airline. Heck, given what I've paid in the past to get bumped to an earlier flight I'd happily pay 75 bucks to get onto one.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
OP and others are doing the airline a favor by going out on an earlier flight with empty seats.
Which is why the standby option is offered at a massive discount relative to the ticket change fee.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by rjw242
Which is why the standby option is offered at a massive discount relative to the ticket change fee.
Just like when a mall store has a 50% off their regular price sale
I arrived at the airport early and thought I could get on an earlier flights (they leave every hour). I asked the gate agent if there are any seats and she mentions that the flight is 3/4 full.
I, like OP, try to get on earlier flights not because I have to, but because we budgeted extra time to be at the airport (traffic, TSA, yadda yadda) and there happen to be an earlier flight not yet departed.

The worst might have been HA, who require you to exit security and pay the fee at check-in desk, even though they have hourly or better interisland flights.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just like when a mall store has a 50% off their regular price sale
​​​​​
Since AA can and does regularly charge a $200+fare difference change fee, this analogy isn't remotely relevant.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjw242
Since AA can and does regularly charge a $200+fare difference change fee, this analogy isn't remotely relevant.
You compared the stand by fee to the change fee and said there was a discount. I pointed to mall sales where the discount is from the regular price. So yes, it is relevant.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

it is in the airline's interest to fill empty seats on an earlier flight , as a corollary of AA's D0 push. Airlines charge more for certain flights based on an assumption there is more demand for those flights, but that doesn't apply on day of flight.

Of course, the same argument doesn't apply for wanting to switch to a later flight.
OP and others are doing the airline a favor by going out on an earlier flight with empty seats.
Well, if the OP is offering to do the airline a favour then there is still no reason to be upset if the airline chooses not to take up that generous offer

It is not in airline's interest to fill the empty seats for free - it is in the airline,s interest to maximise margin. AA offers the option to change a restricted ticket for a low fee ( compared to the normal change fee ) on the day; don't like it , then don't change flights

There are plenty of airlines who do not even offer this - turn up early with an inflexible ticket, then sit and wait ; turn up late and pay the no show fee /change fee/fare difference or even have to just buy a new ticket
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by aok336423
American actually has one of the more generous same day change options out there.
No, they don't. Not even close. Look at what you can do with United (change routings, change number of stops,change days (move it up early or later a day), and have it tied to actual fare buckets that you can check, not a fare that only exists for changing at AA.

It's one of the main reasons (along with EQDs) I left AA to go back to UA.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

It is not in airline's interest to fill the empty seats for free - it is in the airline,s interest to maximise margin.
Then why don't they get rid of non-rev travel? They'd much rather let non-revs waitlist for F and J then move up paying customers and free up space in the back for those NRSA.

Last edited by BThumme; Jun 18, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by asalamon
AA is now even lower than low. Granted I’ve never been an AA or USAir fan (loved Piedmont until USAir destroyed that one - so I’m aging myself). Having traveled for the past 20+ years on multiple airlines for business, I’ve recently been spoiled with the SWA model having lived in the BWI area for the past three years. Also having million mile status on DL and UAL may also influence my feelings about AA. I arrived at the airport early and thought I could get on an earlier flights (they leave every hour). I asked the gate agent if there are any seats and she mentions that the flight is 3/4 full. Then she checks my status and informed me that it will be an additional $75 to go standby. Great for AA’s bottom line, but not for building any form of loyalty with me! They can take that fee structure and go pound sand! They will still be a last resort airline for me. One other note, when I was flying them last week there was a soiled diaper in the seat back. Maybe they could use that $75 that others are paying to improve their sanitation on the airline. How low can AA go?
Welcome down from lurkerspace.

FlyerTalk works much better when you look up your topic before flying than posting after learning the hard way.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html states same day standby incurs a cost of $75 for non-elite passengers.

The alternative they’d offer would be paying the change fee ($200 or more) and the difference between your purchased fare and a full walk-up fare; some airlines would just offer that.

The WN and UA fora have lots of useful information, as well.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BThumme

Then why don't they get rid of non-rev travel? They'd much rather let non-revs waitlist for F and J then move up paying customers and free up space in the back for those NRSA.
Very different; the staff have benefits which permit this travel

If someone holds appropriate statis than that person can standby for free, otherwise there is a charge to change to a different flight - there is no compelling reason why , in normal operations, the airline should allow the change for free rather than charge for it. That is foregoing $75 x number of passengers ( that make the change ) a day;
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
The WN model? You mean the model that offers absolutely NOTHING? No F, no lounges, almost no Intl', no code share with One World or Star Alliance, no advanced seating reservations, no food..and an ff program that offers little more than marginally better odds at a COACH seat? That WN? The McDonalds of the sky with the undignified cornball schtick?
Also no CRJ-200s, no change fees, no checked luggage fees, a simple to understand boarding system, and a very straightforward redemption system that doesn't require reading FT to understand the byzantine complexity of, plus decades of being well below the legacies in generating DOT complaints (which are a good first-order approximation of being able to resolve service failures).

WN gets slagged here for not providing people with access to Krug, caviar and lie-flat showers, but frankly, a lot of people don't need or desire them. I wouldn't send my mom to fly AA on a dare- she's not an inexperienced flier but wouldn't fly enough for elite status anywhere, and WN treats people coming in off the street better than anyone else. And honestly on a twoish hour flight or less I don't really care if the airline is serving me food I'd often send back at a Denny's, or even something on the edible side, and I AM an experienced flier. A coach seat at a price I can afford and with some flexibility if plans change is pretty useful to me, and for a lot of other people. If it wasn't WN would be bankrupt (something UA, DL and AA couldn't avoid), out of business, or maybe still flying 3 planes between 3 cities in Texas.

AA has it's place, but the reflexive WN hate here just shows me people don't get the model. Which is fine, WN flies 700 or so planes a day for people who DO get that model.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I flew Delta last week where I have no status. I wanted to standby for an earlier flight and went to the SkyClub using my AmexPlat. They took my AmexPlat, charged me $75, and put me on standby for the earlier flight. I didn't think it made DL a sucky airline because of this policy and it certainly beat the alternative of changing my ticket and paying a fee which is probably 150 or 200. I agree I prefer the days when airlines would let everyone standby for an earlier flight without charge.
trooper and eponymous_coward like this.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Jun 18, 2018 at 1:58 pm
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BThumme
It's one of the main reasons (along with EQDs) I left AA to go back to UA.
UA has EQD too (albeit named differently)
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Also no CRJ-200s, no change fees, no checked luggage fees, a simple to understand boarding system, and a very straightforward redemption system that doesn't require reading FT to understand the byzantine complexity of, plus decades of being well below the legacies in generating DOT complaints (which are a good first-order approximation of being able to resolve service failures).
The more I fly domestically, the more I respect Southwest policies. But that said, I don't believe that AA's boarding system is hard to understand. Maybe understanding the rationale for each group is beyond most folk's effort, but if it says "6", board with "6". And having a seat assignment is simpler to understand than trying to scout out a seat.

Relevant to this thread, "no change fees" means a day-of change can cost way more than $75. I was coming back from a long trip and flying WN, and to take the 1:30 instead of 3:30 flight was going to cost me $160/each ($205 day of vs $45 wanna-get-away). But for advance purchases and when plans change, I do like how flexible WN allows folks to be.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is not in airline's interest to fill the empty seats for free - it is in the airline,s interest to maximise margin.
Except thats not whats going on . OP has clearly paid a fare. Moreover AA is not even comparing the two fares, heck the earlier one could be cheaper.

There are plenty of airlines who do not even offer this - turn up early with an inflexible ticket, then sit and wait ; turn up late and pay the no show fee /change fee/fare difference or even have to just buy a new ticket
Except those two scenarios are not remotely the same.
there is no compelling reason why , in normal operations, the airline should allow the change for free rather than charge for it.
Yes there is, and that is getting willing pax out on an earlier flight with empty seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.