Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15

I had an FA who used to only work domestic F and when she was assigned to economy on my ORD SFO fligbt she though food is free in MCE and was giving it away. I can see how international J FAs who are assigned to fly one off domestic route in economy may not know about free drinks 🙄
So on AA international flights economy does not get free drinks?
And how is that an excuse? Should you 'forget' that people drive on the right in the US when you fly over from Britain?
It is just that in this case there is no consequence to the FA not knowkng how to do their job
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So on AA international flights economy does not get free drinks?
And how is that an excuse? Should you 'forget' that people drive on the right in the US when you fly over from Britain?
It is just that in this case there is no consequence to the FA not knowkng how to do their job
oh I’m not excusing FAs who don’t bother to learn basics of the job. I’m just saying it’s high possibility for someone who only works international J and doesn’t bother to learn about economy cabin, in favor of reading Peoples magazine and playing candy crash instead
seigex and LAX_BillyJoe like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
When I flew in MCE from JFK-GRU in April, FA was going to charge me for alcohol but relented when I explained the policy to her. However, on the B777 the MCE rows in the back cabin are hardly identifiable (being the first three rows in the centre block of seats, and just the first row on the sides. Much clearer on the B767s which have a two-row cabin.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Happy to report no shenanigans on yesterday’s AA4439 except that I wasn't given a full can of coke with my Tito's.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Happy to report no shenanigans on yesterday’s AA4439 except that I wasn't given a full can of coke with my Tito's.
Did you request the can, and get denied, or are you annoyed that you were not proactively provided the can?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
or are you annoyed that you were not proactively provided the can?
This.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This.
screw the coke, did she proactively ask if you wanted two Tito's?
CMK10, GrumpyYoungMan and chitink like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
they don’t ask. They just give you 2 -3 so they don’t have to come back with refill😬
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
No, he poured one Tito's into the cup and coke on top of it.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
No, he poured one Tito's into the cup and coke on top of it.
Usually I get handed the mini and a cup of the mix (orange juice or soft drink) and then I have to mix it myself. Lazy bartender.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Usually I get handed the mini and a cup of the mix (orange juice or soft drink) and then I have to mix it myself. Lazy bartender.
I've had everything from blank stares to the FA neatly placing two Titos minis in a separate cup to display with a napkin inside and a full can of soda.
chitink likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I've had everything from blank stares to the FA neatly placing two Titos minis in a separate cup to display with a napkin inside and a full can of soda.

I too, get strange looks when instead of asking for a Tito's and soda I ask for a Tito's and Tito's.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime titanium, Delta Gold, American Gold, United Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist,
Denied alcoholic beverage in MCE

I was recently flying from MSN to PHL on the AA direct flight. Was sitting in the exit row which is branded as MCE. When the beverage cart came around I asked for a beer as alcoholic beverages are complementary in main cabin extra (or so I thought). I am AAdvantage Gold, so was able to “upgrade” into the seat at T-24. FA told me that since I did not pay for the seat that I was not entitled to a free drink, and tried to charge me the $8 for the beer. We had a brief conversation, which resulted in her showing me her flight app which proved to her that I wasn’t eligible. I checked on AA’s website and they definitely don’t have this qualifier so I entered a complaint online. Response from American was essentially, “yep sorry you should have got a free drink.” Did I just catch the random flight attendant making up her own rules or is this common on other AA routes? Something that has never happened to me on Delta when I “didn’t pay for the seat.”
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by dtown
I was recently flying from MSN to PHL on the AA direct flight. Was sitting in the exit row which is branded as MCE. When the beverage cart came around I asked for a beer as alcoholic beverages are complementary in main cabin extra (or so I thought). I am AAdvantage Gold, so was able to “upgrade” into the seat at T-24. FA told me that since I did not pay for the seat that I was not entitled to a free drink, and tried to charge me the $8 for the beer. We had a brief conversation, which resulted in her showing me her flight app which proved to her that I wasn’t eligible. I checked on AA’s website and they definitely don’t have this qualifier so I entered a complaint online. Response from American was essentially, “yep sorry you should have got a free drink.” Did I just catch the random flight attendant making up her own rules or is this common on other AA routes? Something that has never happened to me on Delta when I “didn’t pay for the seat.”
Unless the wording has changed on MCE, there is no disclaimer that if you are in MCE you are not eligible for said drinks unless you paid for the seat. I have seen many times BE passengers placed into MCE who are given free drinks, let alone should an FA be telling an elite that they don't qualify. I am guessing this was a regional flight though, I rarely take these types of flights, so maybe just poor training from PSA.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dtown
The FA was plain wrong, and thankfully this has become a rare occurrence, but sadly not unheard of (obviously).
chrisny2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.