Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:41 pm

Recently after June 5 a FA asked me for $8.00 on AA CRJ900. I politely said MCE and she quietly went away. I wonder if these CRJ900s still take cash?

Last edited by Centurion; Jun 10, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
On June 8 FA charged a few people in MCE for drinks before the other FA pointed out it was MCE and supposed to include a free drink. She had completely forgotten. She settled it by giving everyone she charged a second drink. I’m guessing it will be a month or two before they really remember.

The FA also mentioned there was no way to record the complimentary beverage on the tablet yet like they do for EXP food/beverage.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:54 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by britz
... the other FA pointed out it was MCE and supposed to include a free drink. She had completely forgotten. She settled it by giving everyone she charged a second drink.
There's nothing in the marketing or T&C that I've read that says it's limited to 1 drink. Has anyone a.) been able to get more than one and b.) had FA's be restrictive to 1?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Anyone who gets charged should simply note the FA's name. When you get back home, report it to AA with the amount charged and request a refund. Also, let them know the specific FA who did not know AA's policies so that they can be re-trained.

Yes, it sucks to deal with personnel who do not know the correct policies of their jobs, but it is what it is. And honestly, we don't really know if it is the FA who isn't paying attention to the communiques to give them this information correctly, or their management who isn't communicating it to them correctly.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
I also wonder what happens if people self upgrade to an empty MCE seat. Do they get sent back? Does the tablet tell them whether it is supposed to be empty?
I recall reading on some blog there was a internal communication that they weren't supposed to say anything to anyone self changing their seat to a MCE seat. But that was before the roll out was delayed due to initial push back from the flight attendants so I don't know what the current policy is.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
I was charged last Thursday and the reason given was "only beer & wine are free of charge" (I had ordered a G&T). Is that the case or are spirits supposed to be free of charge in MCE as well?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
I was charged last Thursday and the reason given was "only beer & wine are free of charge" (I had ordered a G&T). Is that the case or are spirits supposed to be free of charge in MCE as well?
Spirits are supposed to be complimentary as well
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by britz

Spirits are supposed to be complimentary as well
Thanks - that's what I gather from the website. I just wrote in a complaint with the transaction # I'll let you guys know what happens
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How about pointing it out to the FA first? As others in this thread who have done so note, it has resulted in a fairly quick resolution on the spot.

I prefer to use my free time for myself rather than complaining about the avoidable.
C17PSGR and IAHtraveler like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by PHL
There's nothing in the marketing or T&C that I've read that says it's limited to 1 drink. Has anyone a.) been able to get more than one and b.) had FA's be restrictive to 1?
We'll have to see how AA deals with it, or one could simply ask. The language on the website suggests that there are "additional drinks to buy". Given that beer, wine, spirits, and soft drinks are included as, presumably is water, juice, and coffee, I'm not sure what else one would purchase besides more of the booze.

"Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus the free snacks and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route."
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Thanks - that's what I gather from the website. I just wrote in a complaint with the transaction # I'll let you guys know what happens
Per the website:

International and Hawaii flights

Meals, beer and wine

Free on flights to and from Europe, Asia and select Latin American cities and from Dallas / Fort Worth to all Hawaiian cities that take off during normal breakfast, lunch and dinner times.

Spirits

Free on flights to and from Japan, Hong Kong, Sydney and Auckland.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Per the website:

International and Hawaii flights

Meals, beer and wine

Free on flights to and from Europe, Asia and select Latin American cities and from Dallas / Fort Worth to all Hawaiian cities that take off during normal breakfast, lunch and dinner times.

Spirits

Free on flights to and from Japan, Hong Kong, Sydney and Auckland.
That seems to be for international economy class. This is for MCE which now includes free beer, wine & spirits on domestic flights.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Often1
How about pointing it out to the FA first? As others in this thread who have done so note, it has resulted in a fairly quick resolution on the spot.

I prefer to use my free time for myself rather than complaining about the avoidable.
Sorry I don't know how to multi-quote.

I did point it out to the FA - the reason given when I asked was "beer & wine only" and I didn't want to argue...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:51 am

Free snacks and drinks

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus the free snacks and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**

**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service
My reading of that is all liquor is free, and unlimited (within reason), but there may be additional items available, such as snack boxes, etc, depending on length of flight.

Given that they specifically note "A complimentary alcoholic drink" for the EXP and CK benefit, I think they would have worded it the same for MCE, if they meant it to be just one.

AAdvantageŽ Executive Platinum and ConciergeKeySM members get a complimentary alcoholic drink and food menu item.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - What did the FA say when you pointed this out?

If the FA persisted, I would just pay up and then seek a refund from AA.
I was rather tired at the time and did not want to argue. I just said never mind and went back to sleep. If I was awake I would have pushed the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.