FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Old Jun 10, 18, 10:41 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,688
Recently after June 5 a FA asked me for $8.00 on AA CRJ900. I politely said MCE and she quietly went away. I wonder if these CRJ900s still take cash?

Last edited by Centurion; Jun 10, 18 at 11:48 pm
Centurion is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 6:39 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 157
On June 8 FA charged a few people in MCE for drinks before the other FA pointed out it was MCE and supposed to include a free drink. She had completely forgotten. She settled it by giving everyone she charged a second drink. I’m guessing it will be a month or two before they really remember.

The FA also mentioned there was no way to record the complimentary beverage on the tablet yet like they do for EXP food/beverage.
britz is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 7:54 am
  #18  
PHL
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: PHL, NYC
Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Posts: 8,577
Originally Posted by britz View Post
... the other FA pointed out it was MCE and supposed to include a free drink. She had completely forgotten. She settled it by giving everyone she charged a second drink.
There's nothing in the marketing or T&C that I've read that says it's limited to 1 drink. Has anyone a.) been able to get more than one and b.) had FA's be restrictive to 1?
PHL is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 8:12 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Posts: 1,492
Anyone who gets charged should simply note the FA's name. When you get back home, report it to AA with the amount charged and request a refund. Also, let them know the specific FA who did not know AA's policies so that they can be re-trained.

Yes, it sucks to deal with personnel who do not know the correct policies of their jobs, but it is what it is. And honestly, we don't really know if it is the FA who isn't paying attention to the communiques to give them this information correctly, or their management who isn't communicating it to them correctly.
wrp96 likes this.
GNRMatt is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 8:46 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,229
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
I also wonder what happens if people self upgrade to an empty MCE seat. Do they get sent back? Does the tablet tell them whether it is supposed to be empty?
I recall reading on some blog there was a internal communication that they weren't supposed to say anything to anyone self changing their seat to a MCE seat. But that was before the roll out was delayed due to initial push back from the flight attendants so I don't know what the current policy is.
neo_781 is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 8:58 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC, BOS
Programs: DL PM, UA PP, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 732
I was charged last Thursday and the reason given was "only beer & wine are free of charge" (I had ordered a G&T). Is that the case or are spirits supposed to be free of charge in MCE as well?
SFTNYC is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 9:03 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by SFTNYC View Post
I was charged last Thursday and the reason given was "only beer & wine are free of charge" (I had ordered a G&T). Is that the case or are spirits supposed to be free of charge in MCE as well?
Spirits are supposed to be complimentary as well
britz is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 9:10 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC, BOS
Programs: DL PM, UA PP, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 732
Originally Posted by britz View Post

Spirits are supposed to be complimentary as well
Thanks - that's what I gather from the website. I just wrote in a complaint with the transaction # I'll let you guys know what happens
wrp96 likes this.
SFTNYC is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 9:19 am
  #24  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 46,687
How about pointing it out to the FA first? As others in this thread who have done so note, it has resulted in a fairly quick resolution on the spot.

I prefer to use my free time for myself rather than complaining about the avoidable.
C17PSGR and IAHtraveler like this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 9:24 am
  #25  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 46,687
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
There's nothing in the marketing or T&C that I've read that says it's limited to 1 drink. Has anyone a.) been able to get more than one and b.) had FA's be restrictive to 1?
We'll have to see how AA deals with it, or one could simply ask. The language on the website suggests that there are "additional drinks to buy". Given that beer, wine, spirits, and soft drinks are included as, presumably is water, juice, and coffee, I'm not sure what else one would purchase besides more of the booze.

"Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus the free snacks and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route."
Often1 is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 9:31 am
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 19,173
Originally Posted by SFTNYC View Post
Thanks - that's what I gather from the website. I just wrote in a complaint with the transaction # I'll let you guys know what happens
Per the website:

International and Hawaii flights

Meals, beer and wine

Free on flights to and from Europe, Asia and select Latin American cities and from Dallas / Fort Worth to all Hawaiian cities that take off during normal breakfast, lunch and dinner times.

Spirits

Free on flights to and from Japan, Hong Kong, Sydney and Auckland.
enviroian is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 9:40 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC, BOS
Programs: DL PM, UA PP, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 732
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Per the website:

International and Hawaii flights

Meals, beer and wine

Free on flights to and from Europe, Asia and select Latin American cities and from Dallas / Fort Worth to all Hawaiian cities that take off during normal breakfast, lunch and dinner times.

Spirits

Free on flights to and from Japan, Hong Kong, Sydney and Auckland.
That seems to be for international economy class. This is for MCE which now includes free beer, wine & spirits on domestic flights.
LovePrunes likes this.
SFTNYC is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 9:41 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC, BOS
Programs: DL PM, UA PP, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 732
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
How about pointing it out to the FA first? As others in this thread who have done so note, it has resulted in a fairly quick resolution on the spot.

I prefer to use my free time for myself rather than complaining about the avoidable.
Sorry I don't know how to multi-quote.

I did point it out to the FA - the reason given when I asked was "beer & wine only" and I didn't want to argue...
SFTNYC is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 9:51 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 683
Free snacks and drinks

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus the free snacks and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**

**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service
My reading of that is all liquor is free, and unlimited (within reason), but there may be additional items available, such as snack boxes, etc, depending on length of flight.

Given that they specifically note "A complimentary alcoholic drink" for the EXP and CK benefit, I think they would have worded it the same for MCE, if they meant it to be just one.

AAdvantage® Executive Platinum and ConciergeKeySM members get a complimentary alcoholic drink and food menu item.
IAHtraveler likes this.
shimps1 is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 10:10 am
  #30  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
OP - What did the FA say when you pointed this out?

If the FA persisted, I would just pay up and then seek a refund from AA.
I was rather tired at the time and did not want to argue. I just said never mind and went back to sleep. If I was awake I would have pushed the issue.
darkguy2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: