Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Well it took the FAs (LAA at the time) as a whole like five years before they realized EXPs were comped a free drink and food item in Y. No suprise here a number of FAs still haven't gotten the memo (or more precisely the email is more modern terms.)
GTITAN and catawba like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:45 am

Flight attendant on my flight Monday night was up on the free drinks for MCE. Guy across the aisle had his credit card out to pay for his and the FA explained to him twice that it was free in MCE. No charge for my beer.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by catawba
So I struck out again on my second attempt, this time on mainline PHX-CLT. FA charged other people before me in MCE. After I placed my order, FA looks at their handheld and then looks at me funny and says "you're not EP?". I said no, Main Cabin Extra drinks are no charge, right? FA looked puzzled and worked on the handheld. Then FA figured it out, said thanks and smiled.

So then people in my row are like wait a minute, I just got charged! FA proceeds to give refunds. I was suddenly the most popular person in my row. They said "we're going to have a 2nd round!". This actually made it fun.
I'd like the Flight Attendants to be properly trained and have the motivation to provide the MCE benefits that AA keeps advertising. This "new" benefit is no longer new, and having to repeatedly educate and correct the FA's is not "fun".
flg8rmatt and catawba like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:44 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Last Thursday, ordered a can of Voodoo Ranger IPA and FA wanted to charge me along with the horrid bland chicken wrap that I ordered. I mentioned that AA announced that MCE gets free drinks now and she said oh thats right.

Guess we just have to be polite and remind them from time to time. Hopefully everyone will get up to speed quickly. AA should develop 5-10 minutes mandatory training webinars since its clear not everyone reads company communications or takes them seriously.
royng likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum - Lifetime
Originally Posted by floyddl
I was on a flight from Charlotte to Vegas Wednesday seated in MCE. Flight attendant insisted MCE only gets one free drink. Several people on my row were charged for extra drinks. It is clear that AA has not communicated this very well. I sent a complaint to AA about the situation and they haven't responded as of yet. I realize it is relatively new and most customers aren't even aware of it but if you don't report it they will never get it communicated. As a lifetime Platinum I really like this change especially since they devalued my status by introducing a Platinum Pro level.
I received a voucher for $25 in an email today along with an apology and assurance that management would be informed of the lack of training. I imagine it will still be a several months before the process goes smoothly.
catawba likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:13 pm

I don't get why this should be so hard to train people to. When I was aircrew in the Air Force, at the squadron each of us had an individual FCIF (flight crew information file) folder. We were responsible to READ and KNOW anything placed in that folder before signing in for a mission. I think now it could easily be done electronically rather than using physical documents. Do the airlines not do something similar at their crew bases?

Last edited by twb3; Jul 30, 2018 at 12:14 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
How long would it for HR to send out an email to all flight attendants a brief MCE protocol?

5 Minutes?

No excuses.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by twb3
I don't get why this should be so hard to train people to.
Originally Posted by enviroian
How long would it for HR to send out an email to all flight attendants a brief MCE protocol?
This change in protocol (free drinks in MCE) is not safety-related and is very trivial in comparison to all the other changes in protocol that flight attendants are constantly apprised of.

I think the better question is why isn't the technology in place to automatically not charge MCE passengers, so FAs don't have to worry about whether they should or should not be charged?
catawba likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian

5 Minutes?

No excuses.
The FA's actually have to read and understand said email; many seem more to rely on galley gossip for such education with corresponding failure.
Carfield and DCP2016 like this.

Last edited by serfty; Jul 30, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
Had an FA DFW-ORD on 7/29 attempt to charge me for the double Woodford and Diet Coke I ordered. I mentioned MCE and he seemed irritated, then said "Oh, yeah." He followed that up by saying "Well, the first one is on us, the second is on you." I politely replied that there was no limit implied or otherwise and proceeded to log on to the app to show him what the customer sees when they select an MCE seat (FYI, it says "free alcohol on flights with full drink service"). I did not get the opportunity to show him as the other FA waved him off and said simply "no." He seemed even more irritated and continued the service. It really should not be an issue.
Carfield, catawba and DCP2016 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
My FA brought me the double drink I ordered and started to ring me up as I sit in exit row 10A LUS A321. I said, "oh, in MCE drinks are supposed to be complimentary?", she just said "Oh... ok.." and then when my neighbor got his drinks she asked, "did you pay for MCE?" and the guy said "No, I just picked this seat", so she proceeded to charge him. I don't know if he has status, presumably he does. I didn't intervene in the conversation as he seemed more than willing to pay and didn't want to get into a fight with the FA on the policy.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by dmodemd
My FA brought me the double drink I ordered and started to ring me up as I sit in exit row 10A LUS A321. I said, "oh, in MCE drinks are supposed to be complimentary?", she just said "Oh... ok.." and then when my neighbor got his drinks she asked, "did you pay for MCE?" and the guy said "No, I just picked this seat", so she proceeded to charge him. I don't know if he has status, presumably he does. I didn't intervene in the conversation as he seemed more than willing to pay and didn't want to get into a fight with the FA on the policy.
I don't understand what kind of question that is. Did you pay for this seat? Everyone paid some sort of currency to get on the plane. And obviously if she can't tell on her tablet whether the passenger paid or not, then it must not be important for AA to discriminate, just give the people their free drink and move on.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:59 am
Suspended

It would be great if we could pre-order our drinks like we can with our meals in J and F on long hauls, or how we can pick our seats. Part of the MCE interface on the website should let you pick your drink. Then the FA will work from a manifest that says seat X gets the double Dewars neat.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Anything else that this ridiculous FA wanted to know? Perhaps, what credit card was used to buy the ticket? Is this trip for work or leisure? Are you wearing underwear today?

Totally crAAZy behavior inside the aircraft these days.....
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA
Flew MCE last weekend and had to ask the FA if I got complimentary drinks rather than being offered them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.