Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by brewdog11

Whether or not the conversation is important is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant.

I disagree unless it was life or death.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Couple of notes ..

1. AA pilots are not in ALPA. So if he had an ALPA lanyard, he's not an AA pilot.
2. You boarded a flight at 2230. It is beyond rude to be having a conversation on a redeye beyond whispering quietly to your seatmate. That doesn't excuse inappropriate language or behavior but I hope you understand carrying on anything other than a whispered conversation. Many of us on redeyes (in F or Y) have a full day of work on the other end and are just shifting coasts overnight.
Socked it took this deep in the thread for someone to point this out.

Cheers,
TG
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Gosh, people do get worked up about their right to sleep on a late evening/night flight! I generally travel alone, and on a night flight I will almost certainly be trying to sleep, but if people in nearby seats are conversing at a slightly lower than normal daytime volume I would regard that as perfectly acceptable.

When I'm ready to sleep I will insert ear plugs, don eye shades, and to sleep I will hopefully go. If the nearby conversation is so loud that it percolates through my defences for more than a few minutes, I would try jamming the earplugs in further; if that didn't work, then I would probably ask the cabin crew to have a word. I certainly wouldn't sit/lie there cursing.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:00 am

Really?Some responsibility here. It wasn’t all the pilots fault

When he started mumbling did you even bother to ask the guy if you’re disturbing him. Have a conversation. See if you can make some adjustments.

You guys were obviously too wrapped up in yourselves until he really escalated to care.

And the way you’ve tried to out-logic everybody who doesn’t have the same opinion as you in this thread shows me that you feel entitled.

You started this thread and now you can’t even except peoples opposing opinions... and try to twist their logic around. Nice. It just makes you look worse.

Airplanes are already full of annoyances and people doing weird and inconsiderate things. Last thing we need are more entitled frequent-flier passengers who are so inside themselves think they can talk as much as they want without bothering anyone and read under a spotlight without bothering anybody else around them. (And don’t demand like some in the thread above that other people bring earplugs and shades when you can just as easily bring a Kindle or an LEDUSB powered reading lamp that is much more personalized)

Personally, I think both the pilot and you guys were out of line. He was raging and you guys were rude and tried to ignore his discomfort. Maybe the best outcome is for both of you to have to sit in front of a row of kids that kick the back your chair to the beat of house music for an entire transatlantic flight.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:19 am

If others can hear you yakking on a midnight flight, you are talking too loudly.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
This was a red-eye flight, right? And you chose to have a conversation for the entire flight?

It was not; it was a late-evening midcon. Whether or not it’s a red eye is irrelevant if two pax decide to have a hushed conversation.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:26 am

If others can hear you yakking on a midnight flight, you are talking too loudly.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
This was a red-eye flight, right? And you chose to have a conversation for the entire flight?

It was not; it was a late-evening midcon. Whether or not it’s a red eye is irrelevant if two pax decide to have a hushed conversation.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:31 am

Was it presumptuous to suppose his comments were directed at you? Perhaps the comments were directed to the voices in his head?
apeortdz, wrp96 and chrisboote like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:40 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've flown redeyes from LAX to JFK, for anyone seated in the vicinity of the BC galley there is (1)lots of noise from FAs, (2)lots of bright lights...so flight crew related disturbances to pax is the norm; so using a reading light and/or subdued conversation should not be an issue.
[I haven't flown this route recently, so maybe on newer planes the galley area is more isolated(?)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Passengers should not engage each other on contentious issues. That is why there are FA's. They are trained to deal with controversy and more importantly, in the case of an airline employee, are even more likely to have an impact. The fact is that OP and colleague were rude and insensitive. If they needed the time to speak on a business matter, they should have planned that better,

But, that does not justify anything the other passenger, whether an off-duty employee or not, did. If he was disturbed, he should have asked a FA to speak with OP and colleague, presumably OP would have realized that he was disturbing others and would have piped down.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Couple of notes ..

1. AA pilots are not in ALPA. So if he had an ALPA lanyard, he's not an AA pilot.
2. You boarded a flight at 2230. It is beyond rude to be having a conversation on a redeye beyond whispering quietly to your seatmate. That doesn't excuse inappropriate language or behavior but I hope you understand carrying on anything other than a whispered conversation. Many of us on redeyes (in F or Y) have a full day of work on the other end and are just shifting coasts overnight.
both true! I don't think the pilots behavior was appropriate but I don't think he was trying to "intimidate" you either - you never know what's happening in another person's life - maybe he hadn't slept in 24 hours, maybe he had work or family issues - why not be compassionate instead of combative? why not speak more softly so you didn't disturb him since you OBVIOUSLY were.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I think the OP was rude and inconsiderate to other pax in the cabin. If it's a late night/overnight flight it's obvious people will be trying to sleep. As has been mentioned previously you might have thought you were talking quietly, although later your description changed to "hushed", but maybe you don't realise how loud you speak. I wouldn't have done what the pilot did but I certainly would have complained about the disturbance to a flight attendant. And yes it is public transport but some people have an enhanced sense of entitlement where their behaviour is concerned.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:54 am

Instead of keeping it to yourself and making both you and the pilot stressed all night, why didn't you talk to the pilot or if not the cabin crew? It probably could have been resolved in 2 minutes.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
And the good news is that the cabins on American planes are getting "densified", bringing all of us that much closer together.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Maybe that pilot was rehearsing his response for the credit card announcement.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: DL PM
...Additionally, I honestly do not believe that we were being unreasonably loud...
Of course you don’t. Most people genuinely believe that their conversation is hushed enough that others are not disturbed. And why would they not think that? Most of us politely endure. Doesn’t mean we’re not disturbed.

...no one else in the cabin seemed to be bothered by us at all..
Operative word is “seemed.” Most people aren't rude, nasty and hostile like that pilot. Most of us try to get along by being tolerant of each other's generally-accepted-as-normal but nonetheless annoying behavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.