Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by LondonElite
2230 is not 'late evening'. It's night time. You really shouldn't have been talking, but the pilot's behaviour was not appropriate. He probably should have said: "excuse me, it's late, we'd all like to get some sleep, maybe you can continue your conversation at the other end."

It is late evening not night time or a red eye.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by amanx
It is late evening not night time or a red eye.
it is bed time for over 60% of population in any locality rather than Spain, Italy and some Latin Mexican countries. By this time, all children and young persons and those who need to work next early morning are in bed or going to bed on most American cities. Consider the OP talked during the flight, assume this flight is one hour at least, so by 2330 or 1130pm the two passengers are still talking. And it is bed time for over 75% of the population. It is night time not evening time. For all I know, people start to say good night to each other beyond 2130 or 930pm.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by 1P
Nope. If I wish to read, I will do so.

It's a minority opinion, I know, but people, especially frequent flyers, need to get used to sleeping with lights on. It helps a lot with jet lag.
Agree....some people are traveling on different time zones and others need/want to read or do work. Asking for lights to go off is ridiculous.

My experience is that the FA chatter disturbs my sleep more than any other talking done by passengers. I put in earplugs and deal.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Pilot was rude. However, was the conversation so important that it couldn't be completed after landing or the next day? You should be aware of your surroundings, particularly if you are the only group talking on a late night flight where everyone was chilling. Also, you may not think you were loud, but my wife always asks me to talk more softly when I think I'm speaking quietly.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
You've just got some added publicity that you probably weren't expecting:

Was Pilot Justified for Demanding Conversing Passengers to Shut Up?

No, and he definitely wasn't justified in using foul language.
wrp96 and Kiara like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
it is bed time for over 60% of population in any locality rather than Spain, Italy and some Latin Mexican countries. By this time, all children and young persons and those who need to work next early morning are in bed or going to bed on most American cities. Consider the OP talked during the flight, assume this flight is one hour at least, so by 2330 or 1130pm the two passengers are still talking. And it is bed time for over 75% of the population. It is night time not evening time. For all I know, people start to say good night to each other beyond 2130 or 930pm.
They aren't in bed, they are on an airplane.
I also don't agree with the comment about turning the light out.
brewdog11, rjw242, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by 1P
If I wish to read, I will do so.
So is it your view is that everybody should be free to do whatever he or she wishes to do?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by GuyverII
I don't think most Americans realize how LOUD they can be. Over here in Europe I can always pick out the Americans based on volume alone.
There is nothing that would add more credibility to your opinion on a question of ethics than generalizing about a class of people based on origin alone.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by UA Apologist
So is it your view is that everybody should be free to do whatever he or she wishes to do?
Reading is unquestionably within the realm of things it's considered acceptable to do on an airplane.
chrisny2 and brewdog11 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I am light sensitive and noise sensitive. But that's why I bring ear plugs and a face mask with me when I travel. It's not my seatmate's problem that I want to sleep while he needs to be awake finishing preparing for his presentation tomorrow. Or the parent's fault that their child who normally travels and sleeps well suddenly decides to cry all night.

Nothing in the OP said that he and his friend were loud, obnoxious, etc. The only person I saw in the OP being rude was the pilot.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mickidon
Agree....some people are traveling on different time zones and others need/want to read or do work. Asking for lights to go off is ridiculous.
Bingo. I'm usually wide awake on TPAC flights back to the US when most people are sleeping as it helps me beat jetlag. Am I not allowed to read?

Theres a big big difference between those equating this to "being allowed to do anything on a flight" and being reasonable. If I choose to get a cup of coffee in the middle of the night, should I not be allowed to as someone sleeping may smell it? Come on.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius
Bingo. I'm usually wide awake on TPAC flights back to the US when most people are sleeping as it helps me beat jetlag. Am I not allowed to read?

Theres a big big difference between those equating this to "being allowed to do anything on a flight" and being reasonable. If I choose to get a cup of coffee in the middle of the night, should I not be allowed to as someone sleeping may smell it? Come on.
Fortunately, it's the airline that decides what you're "allowed" to do, not other passengers. Those who believe you shouldn't be allowed to read, work on your laptop, or have a conversation with a seatmate ultimately have zero say in the matter.
brewdog11 and chrisboote like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA EXP & 2M, SQ PPS, DL Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Couple of notes ..

1. AA pilots are not in ALPA. So if he had an ALPA lanyard, he's not an AA pilot.
2. You boarded a flight at 2230. It is beyond rude to be having a conversation on a redeye beyond whispering quietly to your seatmate. That doesn't excuse inappropriate language or behavior but I hope you understand carrying on anything other than a whispered conversation. Many of us on redeyes (in F or Y) have a full day of work on the other end and are just shifting coasts overnight.
+1...a 10:30 PM flight qualifies as a late night flight.....Perhaps this pilot just completed a full day of fights with jet lag and was exhausted and needed some shut eye.

btw: having flown these over 500 times, my rule of thumb was to always sleep and FWIW in almost every one of them my fellow passengers that stayed up in first were courteous and quiet (light never bothered me since I received or had eyeshades).
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:55 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by UA Apologist
On an airplane, people are free to do whatever they want to within the parameters of the airline policies and FAA regs. There is nothing in either of those "books" that would prohibit 2 passengers from conversing or someone from having their reading light on. Why is the reading light there if someone isn't supposed to use it in a dark cabin?

Too many people think the world should cater to their needs when, in fact, people need to adapt to the world around them to make it work as best they can. For this reason, I (and many others) carry ear plugs and an eye mask or two.
TheDudeAbides and chrisboote like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Based on some of these responses, I guess we need to ban bathroom usage on redeyes too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.