Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There has been some unacceptable and marginal posting. Please remember to “play the ball, not the player”. Less personalization and more civility, please. See https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules...sivedisruptive for reference, if necessary.

And please help keep this thread on topic.

Thank you,

aztimm and thunderlounge like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
No.Not at all. I clearly stated I thought it was rude and vulgar. The deadhead was wrong to behave the way he did but based on the information supplied he was by no means threatening or aggressive. Maybe my dictionary is outdated.
Assault can be physical OR verbal. @:-)
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Yes, it can. OP was told to shut up. He wasn't told to "shut up or else", for example. We're parsing words. Apparently the idiotic pilot didn't even move, he just laid there mumbling expletives. It should never have happened and I applaud there OP for reporting. I abhor behavior like this in the service industry.There have been many instances lately of people being threatened and over aggressive actions by airlines in the last year. This should not be confused with those.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
AA pilots are not in ALPA. So if he had an ALPA lanyard, he's not an AA pilot.
Correct. In fact, it may have been a FedEx pilot on a revenue ticket. We don't know.

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Red eyes aren't sleeper trains..if you or your bosses think they are..reconsider.
They also are not party cars.

Originally Posted by DCP2016
While AA mainline pilots are with APA, their subsidiary airlines Envoy, PSA, and Piedmont pilots are represented by ALPA, so it was most likely a regional pilot deadheading.
You have no way of knowing. What we do know is that it was not an American Airlines pilot.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
UA, DL, and AS pilots are also ALPA. I believe FedEx and UPS are as well. So who knows? Additionally, OP said the pilot said he is typed on many different types of planes. AA pilots might be typed on different types of planes as they progress through their career. They don't, however, fly multiple types.
Nor do pilots for any U.S. based carrier.

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Well we weren't convsering "in such a loud volume that it completely defeated [other passengers'] noise-cancelling headphones." We were surrounded by other people--some awake, others asleep--who were not disturbed at all.
Apparently it was loud enough that it carried beyond the area in which you were seated. Yet the pilot's comments were so quiet you could barely hear them.

It was loud enough that it bothered at least one other passenger. Just because no one else said anything does not mean they were not bothered.

Don't try and hide the condescension in your tone, now. I don't have a full day of work in the morning? Perhaps alternative flight or train travel arrangements would be preferable to you and others who require complete silence in transit.
It's all about you?

I maintain that our conversation was not unruly.
At least one other passenger disagrees with you.

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I've done plenty of overnight flights where people talked, watched movies, etc. As long as it's quietly done, then I don't see a problem with people having a conversation when other people are sleeping. It's public transportation.
It obviously was not all that quiet.

Originally Posted by 1P
[P]eople, especially frequent flyers, need to get used to sleeping with lights on. It helps a lot with jet lag.
Ah, no. Certain specific wavelengths of light at particular times of the day helps with jetlag. Just leaving a reading light on doesn't do it.

Originally Posted by amanx
It is late evening not night time or a red eye.
You would hard pressed to find many people who think a 22:30 departure is not effectively a red-eye.

Originally Posted by rickg523
If it was so important for the pilot to have absolute quiet, why didn't he move to one of the other empty seats? Why didn't he ask them to stop conversing?(well, even saying that sounds ridiculous, so I can understand why he didn't do that).
Why go all passive aggressive? I can say that if someone pulls that nonsense on me, my response is to directly ask the person what their problem is.
The pilot did ask them to be quiet. They just didn't like how he did it. And they ignored him anyway, rather than lowering their volume.

Originally Posted by rickg523
The OP states no one else was disturbed by the sound level of their conversation. That it was consistent with two people sitting next to one another in a quiet cabin and conversing. You can say that if you want to sleep any disturbance is an impolite imposition. I can say that's pretty damned self-absorbed on public transport, at the level of the Princess and the Pea.
If you want to just ignore the OP's statement and presume that they were actually loud, fine. But this kind of presumption is the most useless thing I see on FT threads. What's the point of making up your own story instead of commenting on the facts as reported? Why not say a leprechaun was hidden in the pilot's footwell and it was this malevolent little green man who was bothering the pilot every time he closed his eyes? There's just as much justification for that theory as for saying these people were shouting at one another.
Because at least one other passenger was bothered by their volume level, yet even that passenger's complaints were so muffled they could barely make them out.

The O.P.'s comments alone make it quite clear they were conversing far too loudly.

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Anyway, I believe the deadheading pilot was in the wrong.
Agree.

I believe the two conversing were okay, assuming the decibel level was not excessive.
Apparently it was excessive.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Legally, no. An assault is an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present ability, to inflict a violent injury on the person of another.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Correct. In fact, it may have been a FedEx pilot on a revenue ticket. We don't know.
You have no way of knowing. What we do know is that it was not an American Airlines pilot.
So at first you say "may have been a FedEX pilot", and then go on to tell me that "you have no way of knowing".

Well buddy, you don't either. For all we know it could've been a regular guy off the street with a pilot costume and a fake badge.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCP2016
So at first you say "may have been a FedEX pilot", and then go on to tell me that "you have no way of knowing".

Well buddy, you don't either. For all we know it could've been a regular guy off the street with a pilot costume and a fake badge.
True. What difference does it make?

What is highly relevant is that it was not an American Airlines pilot.

Oh, and pilots don't wear badges. They wear wings.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
It comforts us to think that pilots are always sane, stable people. They are NOT always. I know some personally and know how they are, and I have experienced behavior I found concerning more than once from them.

The worst was in the early 2000s' An LH pilot at FRA. Came storming into the gate absolutely FURIOUS and screaming at the gate crew. He even started punching walls and knocking over stancheons. Heads down jetway, yelling all the while with nobody but shocked passengers looking on, and then proceeds to "fly angry"...taxi was scary fast, dipping wings on the turns, us rolling like pax in a car. Braking hard enough to throw us forward during the taxi also. Seemed like we were flying fast too..fire walled take off even though the flight was short (likely less fuel) and only about half full, and a high rate, nose down descent with the spoilers up most the of the way down, and then another "dukes of hazzard" taxi experience to the gate.

It was scary.
Did you take any action?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Oh, and pilots don't wear badges. They wear wings.
Security/personnel badges. AA's even say "Union Pilot" on them, although of course they are with APA not ALPA.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread is close to being closed for overly personalized responses, off-topic meandering and disruptive posting. Further deletions have been made, but the next time that is required the thread will rest.

Last edited by Microwave; Jun 9, 2018 at 9:08 am
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Legally, no. An assault is an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present ability, to inflict a violent injury on the person of another.
Which might occur with a shaken fist or a "why, I oughta..." threat, yes?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
When I am flying overnight, I come prepared with a full array of sleep "weapons". Eye mask, ear plugs, baseball cap, and pillow. I'm not to the Ambien stage, but we may still there.

You simply don't know when you're going to be on a flight with a night owl, an uncomfortable baby, a couple being giggly/amorous, or someone who has insomnia.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Was on a late evening midcon (~22:30 departure) with a colleague last week. We were seated in F, which had multiple empty seats. At the conclusion of boarding, a uniformed pilot took one of the empty F seats adjacent to us.

I want to know what late evening flight had multiple empty seats in F???? Wonder if it was one of those 10:30 pm LAX-DFW type flights.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
This pilot was way out of line. I don't know why he couldn't have politely asked the OP to maybe quiet down if he was bothered by the conversation. Like some have said, you never know what you will get on a plane. I have been kept awake by drunks, babies, loud talkers, snorers, flight attendants, turbulence, warm cabins, cold cabins, bathrooms, bright lights etc etc etc. You just have to roll with the punches sometimes. And while I try to be respectful of others around me, there are many times where I have spent quite a lot on premium tickets for myself and family and if we want to talk quietly on a redeye to Europe or play cards with each other after a nightcap to fully enjoy the experience I feel I'm well within my right to do that.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by smuDC-10
This pilot was way out of line. I don't know why he couldn't have politely asked the OP to maybe quiet down if he was bothered by the conversation. Like some have said, you never know what you will get on a plane. I have been kept awake by drunks, babies, loud talkers, snorers, flight attendants, turbulence, warm cabins, cold cabins, bathrooms, bright lights etc etc etc. You just have to roll with the punches sometimes. And while I try to be respectful of others around me, there are many times where I have spent quite a lot on premium tickets for myself and family and if we want to talk quietly on a redeye to Europe or play cards with each other after a nightcap to fully enjoy the experience I feel I'm well within my right to do that.
Yeah every other argument aside, this could've been resolved peacefully by the pilot just saying politely "could you please quiet down a little?" or speaking to the FA (he is a pilot after all, they would take his remarks safely).
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:20 pm

we have no proof that it was a non rev asking them to be quiet, since it could very well be a pilot from another airline full revenue
Always Flyin and DataPlumber like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.