Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Selection Issues BA operated by AA

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Seat Selection Issues BA operated by AA

Morning All,

Any idea why I can't select my seat on American Airlines? We (group of 8) are flying to LA in under 3 weeks and for the past 2 weeks the site says "Seat map unavailable. Please check back."

I have tried using different internet browsers and also deleted my cache data hoping it would help but to no avail.

Called AA and they said that they could see the seat map which makes it even more frustrating!

Andy
Old May 18, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AJHANSEN777
Morning All,

Any idea why I can't select my seat on American Airlines? We (group of 8) are flying to LA in under 3 weeks and for the past 2 weeks the site says "Seat map unavailable. Please check back."

I have tried using different internet browsers and also deleted my cache data hoping it would help but to no avail.

Called AA and they said that they could see the seat map which makes it even more frustrating!

Andy
Is this a flight operated by AA? You will not be able to select seats on AA.com if it is a flight operated by Alaska (you should call Alaska in that case).

Another possibility is that there are not 8 unblocked seats to select. AA blocks a lot of seats for elites (especially on JFK-LAX, for example), so if all non-blocked seats are already taken, you may not be able to preselect seats now. That being said, I would think if this were the case, you would just see a seat map with all seats grayed out instead of no seat map at all.

The final possibility I can think of is that there is simply a glitch with the website. It would certainly not be the first time that has happened in my experience.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Is this a flight operated by AA? You will not be able to select seats on AA.com if it is a flight operated by Alaska (you should call Alaska in that case).

Another possibility is that there are not 8 unblocked seats to select. AA blocks a lot of seats for elites (especially on JFK-LAX, for example), so if all non-blocked seats are already taken, you may not be able to preselect seats now. That being said, I would think if this were the case, you would just see a seat map with all seats grayed out instead of no seat map at all.

The final possibility I can think of is that there is simply a glitch with the website. It would certainly not be the first time that has happened in my experience.
We booked through a travel agent who told us it was British airways but the flights are operated by AA.

I've looked at the seatmap on "expert flyer" which i've attached and you can see that there only seems to be middle seats left to pick as well as the ones at the back of the plane. But I cannot get this seat map to come up on the AA website. So many rows where people have chosen the middle seat - annoying!

I keep telling myself it must be a system glitch on the website but this glitch has gone on long enough now haha!
Old May 18, 2018, 6:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you want members to be able to help, please share the relevant information. Dribbling out bits won’t put people in a position to help. Some of our members are very knowledgeable and eager to help, but they’re not psychic.

Flight number (e.g. BA 1234) operated by AA LHR-DFW on xx yy 2018, fare class if possible (e.g. Is it Basic Economy? You can’t select seats.) etc. If you don’t know the fare basis, ask your agent. You’ve paid your agent, get them to perform - perhaps they can select seats for you?

Thank you.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
If you want members to be able to help, please share the relevant information. Dribbling out bits won’t put people in a position to help.

Flight number (e.g. BA 1234) operated by AA LHR-DFW on xx yy 2018, fare class if possible (e.g. Is it Basic Economy? You can’t select seats.) etc. If you don’t know the fare basis, ask your agent. You’ve paid your agent, get them to perform - perhaps they can select seats for you?

Thank you.
Flight number BA1545 operated by AA LHR-LAX on 7th June 2018. I've asked our Travel agent about selecting seats and was told to speak to BA who then told me to speak to AA.

The issue is that I cannot get on the AA website to select by seats as the seat map is not available.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Flight number BA1545 operated by AA LHR-LAX on 7th June 2018. I've asked our Travel agent about selecting seats and was told to speak to BA who then told me to speak to AA.

The issue is that I cannot get on the AA website to select by seats as the seat map is not available.
Call AA.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

This is sounds similar to a glitch that often occurs when booking AA flights with Avios. Will an AA agent not assign you seats? Another thing to make sure is that you are using the AA record locator (although it sounds like you are since you are able to pull up the record on AA.com).
Old May 18, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold

This is AA 109 and there seem to be very few "free" seats available but plenty of paid seats. The seat map is available on AA.com via the "Plan Travel" - "Flight Schedules" tab so you can see what is available but you may have to call as others have suggested if you can't see it through the PNR.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

As the travel agent recommended "Speak to AA"
With Skype and other services it is possible to call the US and avoid calling the pay line for UK (I think it costs to call AA in UK, correct?.... or is that just BA?)
Old May 18, 2018, 9:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Thanks!

I’d try a Twitter DM to @ AmericanAir (without the space, of course). If you’re not being followed by them yet, tweet them and ask them to do so, then DM them (to protect your privacy). They’re usually pretty helpful on these issues.
Old May 19, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: UA, BA
Thanks!

I’d try a Twitter DM to @ AmericanAir (without the space, of course). If you’re not being followed by them yet, tweet them and ask them to do so, then DM them (to protect your privacy). They’re usually pretty helpful on these issues.
This exact issue happened to me (BA codeshare on AA flight, booked by travel agent, seat selection did not work on aa.com although lots of seats in fact available). This is the best advice - a quick DM on twitter with name and PNR resulted in seats selected within 30 minutes. I didn't bother with getting them to follow me, I just DM-ed them.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Phone number for AA in the UK is 020 7660 2300. It's a 24 hour number, rings in Liverpool during UK daytime, and diverts off to other parts of the world when Liverpool is closed. Very helpful and knowledgeable team in Liverpool. I always call them. Can't be bothered with this twitter stuff!
Old May 19, 2018, 12:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Thanks!

AmericanAir does not have to follow you for you to send them a DM.
Old May 19, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
I know this will sound crazy, but bear with me...
1.go to BA.com and enter yiur AA locator. This will take you to your reservation in the BA system.
2.Put your AAdvantage number in the BA record (if you want AA miles for the flight).
3.look for the seat selection link on BA.com. This will link you back to AA but with a differnt locator.
4.you should now be able to select seats. I know this works for J class.
5.on AA.com yiu will now have two records for the ttrip. One will allow you to select seats (and meals) up until departure.
MorganB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.