Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500 mile upgrade or buy FC directly?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

500 mile upgrade or buy FC directly?

So around February I received an invitation to join AAGold for 3 months. I received the 10 free 500 mile upgrades. My question is I am travelling to florida this summer. Should I buy an economy ticket and requesting the upgrades or straight up buy the FC ticket? I know Exec plat get upgrades 72 hours ahead but I will be at the 24 hour mark. I will be traveling middle week so hopefully that helps.
fyi I really don't like economy.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
What route? Which dates?
Old May 17, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Tariq Babieh
So around February I received an invitation to join AAGold for 3 months. I received the 10 free 500 mile upgrades. My question is I am travelling to florida this summer. Should I buy an economy ticket and requesting the upgrades or straight up buy the FC ticket? I know Exec plat get upgrades 72 hours ahead but I will be at the 24 hour mark. I will be traveling middle week so hopefully that helps.
Where are you traveling from / to? The airports might help in guessing whether or not a Gold has more than a snowball's chance in Florida of getting an upgrade.
Also, time, date can also matter.
I fly out of DFW and it's quite difficult as a PLT, in my experience
If you MUST fly in First, buy a first class ticket. At least, as Gold, you have access to better seating than non elites
Old May 17, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If you got Gold status for 3 months in February, the status will have expired this summer. The operative date for status upgrades is the day of travel, not the date that you purchased the ticket. So if you want First, buy a ticket in First.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Tariq Babieh
Lol
andersonCooper likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dickinson
If you got Gold status for 3 months in February, the status will have expired this summer. The operative date for status upgrades is the day of travel, not the date that you purchased the ticket. So if you want First, buy a ticket in First.
apologizes I did not specify, I received the invitation In February and activated it this month.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Where are you traveling from / to? The airports might help in guessing whether or not a Gold has more than a snowball's chance in Florida of getting an upgrade.
Also, time, date can also matter.
I fly out of DFW and it's quite difficult as a PLT, in my experience
If you MUST fly in First, buy a first class ticket. At least, as Gold, you have access to better seating than non elites
late july, route will be CMH-RSW
Either on a Tuesday or Wednesday
Old May 17, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
There is one rule that applies to this, if you really want to guarantee to travel in Business/First, then buy Business/Frist. Upgrades are not always guaranteed.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Y is $136. F is $276 on DL and $308 on AA. I'd just buy up.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
You probably have some kind of minimum EQMs and EQDs you need to achieve to keep status, and purchased F gives typically double EQM's. Keep that in mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.