Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2018, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The full new (revised) policy is shown in the first post as attachments.
Print Wikipost

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by MarJon
Doesn't make sense to force the 500 upgrades to be deducted by sponsor....
My guess is that AA gets to deplete the number of (temporarily stagnant) upper status member (Plat Pro and EXP) upgrades and then be forced to purchase 500 mile upgrades.
Just another underhand way to get a few extra $'s from their most frequent flyers.
Sad.... Please rethink this policy or at least allow us to earn 500 upgrades for use later... I know, I know... this will cost AA a bit of extra revenue......
not sure I agree that it makes no sense.as the companion is taking a seat that would otherwise go to a high ranking elite. Makes the decision on the part of the higher status person not as automatic.

Old May 16, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Does anyone know if once you get to T-4 and the waitlist is published - can you call AA and apply miles+cash or an SWU as opposed to sticker upgrade to jump the list? Curious...
Old May 16, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Does anyone know if once you get to T-4 and the waitlist is published - can you call AA and apply miles+cash or an SWU as opposed to sticker upgrade to jump the list? Curious...
Different inventory, "X" for "stickers", "C" for SWU and Miles + co-pay. I've had AA make C available for me for domestic flights on occasion when I'm making an Int'l connection using a SWU, but YMMV..
Old May 16, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's only different inventory for upgrades cleared in advance, either directly or from the waitlist. For those cleared from the upgrade standby list (which is separate from the waitlist) by the gate agent, the inventory is effectively irrelevant. I do believe miles+copay/SWUs are prioritized ahead of stickers, though, so it should help.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by econometrics
Your best plan is to set an alert with Expert Flyer for C space opening. If you get an alert, call AA and clear all of your SWU's.

If no C space opens before it goes to airport control, then you should designate a companion on your itinerary to share your status and at least get 2/3 upgraded - hopefully.
Thanks. Already have that done. Prior to airport control, how is the waitlist processed? Is everyone in my PNR given my status?
Old May 16, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by uscjeff
Yes, you can. It's a bit more complicated if you've already checked in, but it's definitely possible.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I assume this sponsoring can't happen at the gate when;

1) You are on separate PNRS
2) And you agree to split
3) And you get upgraded prior to gate control but companion doesn't.

(I assume Split/No Split didn't go away).
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
I assume this sponsoring can't happen at the gate when;

1) You are on separate PNRS
2) And you agree to split
3) And you get upgraded prior to gate control but companion doesn't.

(I assume Split/No Split didn't go away).
I don't know for sure, but I assume the same.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I am still confused. Why can't they just keep them connected to start with so you don't have to ask an agent at the airport to reconnect them?

"Today, you and another elite status member can be prioritized together on the 500-mile upgrade waitlist. If the upgrade isn’t cleared before you get to the airport, you are prioritized based on individual status.

Now, you can ask an agent to reconnect you on the list at the airport. If available, the 500-mile upgrades will be deducted from the sponsor’s account."
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by mvoight
I am still confused. Why can't they just keep them connected to start with so you don't have to ask an agent at the airport to reconnect them?

"Today, you and another elite status member can be prioritized together on the 500-mile upgrade waitlist. If the upgrade isn’t cleared before you get to the airport, you are prioritized based on individual status.

Now, you can ask an agent to reconnect you on the list at the airport. If available, the 500-mile upgrades will be deducted from the sponsor’s account."
I've done this 4 time now (reconnect at the airport) since the new policy went into effect. Each time, the agent was clueless of how to do it and had to get help to make it happen.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Looking for some clarification here, as I'm wanting to attempt this in an unusual circumstance...

I'm flying HKG-DFW in paid J, but my colleague is in paid W. Do we have to be in the same cabin for he to inherit my status on the UGL? Or does that not matter? We're on different records, so per the rules on AA.com, there's no language about what cabin you are in (as the sponsor) and what cabin the recipient is in.

Anyone know for sure? Thx.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:48 am

I love that AA's solution to what should be simple IT changes, like letting one choose to be upgraded separately or letting you specify which account the stickers are deducted from, is to either make a phone call where they will likely mess things up or talk to a gate agent who will likely look at you like you've just sprouted a third eyeball.

I'm Plat Pro and my wife is Gold so this comes up every time we travel together via a nice email from AA that says "Unable to auto-request upgrade." The couple times I've tried to make it so I still get upgraded normally (we then flip a coin for the seat) it's been a total cluster.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Advice on how to split records

traveling with EXP, no status companion, and no status infant with a paid seat to LHR. If flight is showing J3 and we are open to using SWUs trying to optimize best strategy. I think ids prefer to split the records 2 and 1 and waitlist both but would like the 2 to clear first if 2 seats open because I’m sure they won’t open 3 seats. Any advice on whether to split records EXP+ infant or SO+infant? Anyone know how the algo works in terms of what order three people who inherit the same status from EXP get listed in?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My companion and I are both EPs and have SWUs waitlisted for a flight. I have a higher 12mo rolling EQD rate than she does, so I asked that she is marked as my companion and I was told that it wasn’t possible to sponsor her priority but have the SWU come out of her account. Instead, the SWU would have to come out of my account. Is this true? It seems to contradict what’s on AA.com
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
PLT spouse is on a separate PNR. I called EXP line to have spouse inherit my status for upgrade using 500 mile upgrades. AAgent told me she had to remove my spouse's FF # from my spouse's PNR in order for my spouse to inherit my EXP status and that after the flight we would need to request mileage credit. Does this sound right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.