FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1907813-aa-adds-new-companion-upgrades-policy-5-may-2018-a.html)

JDiver Apr 25, 18 7:48 am

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

3 Attachment(s)
As hinted at and verified by JonNYC, AA has formally instated Companion Upgrades with soonsor’s “borrowed” status for Systemwide Upgrades / SWU, Award Upgrades (miles + copay), 500 Mile Upgrades including Concierge Key and Executive Platinum “Unlimited Dimestic Upgrade / UDU”. Link to new policy; also see below.

Upgrade priority is pretty much as before:

1.Status: Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum, Gold

2. Upgrade type: SWU, Upgrade Awards (Miles and copay), 500 Mile EUpgrades on paid fares, 500 Eups on award

3. Your / the sponsor’s EQD spend over the last 12 months

4. Booking fare code, from F down to the lowest (on allowed fares)

5. Time of booking, assuming everything else is a tie (as likely as finding a desert tortoise in Nunavut in winter)

NOTE the language below that states that if upgrade hasn’t cleared before the ticket goes to airport control, the carriage turns back into a pumpkin (each traveler reverts to their own status). This applies to 500 Mile E-Upgrades. Airport agents (ticket, Club, Gate) can be asked to reestablish the connection, in the case of 500 Mile Upgrades. For SWU, Upgrade Awards, the SSR mechanism should carry over to airport control - you might want to check the connection was made properly and carries over.

355F1 Apr 28, 18 1:01 am

AA Adds SWU, Miles +$ Award Companion Upgrades 5 May 2018

Sat down with another client today who also works at AA and went to the same training last week as the one mentioned in my previous post.

Something is definitely changing with the SWUs and the PE cabin.....

I have another meeting with another agent tomorrow and will try and see if I can get some more details.

potus18 Apr 29, 18 6:55 pm

Whatever these changes include, please please let them include companions inheriting status on the airport upgrade list!

JonNYC Apr 29, 18 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by potus18 (Post 29697422)
Whatever these changes include, please please let them include companions inheriting status on the airport upgrade list!

-That- part's a done deal as far as I've been told, "coming soon" (real soon.)

potus18 Apr 29, 18 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 29697436)

Great! Glad to hear.

teemuflyer Apr 30, 18 4:28 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 29697436)

Do they inherit the spend as well? This would really suck for someone who is, for example an EXP, who gets bumped from a UG by a non-status pax inheriting everything from their companion who theoretically could have $1 more spend than the bumped EXP.

potus18 Apr 30, 18 9:35 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 29698417)
Do they inherit the spend as well? This would really suck for someone who is, for example an EXP, who gets bumped from a UG by a non-status pax inheriting everything from their companion who theoretically could have $1 more spend than the bumped EXP.

I imagine it would be the exact same as pre-airport upgrade list; the companion inherits the status-holder’s position on the upgrade list - EQDs and all.

JonNYC May 4, 18 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 29687867)
Without divulging too much info....

One of of my clients I just met with works for AA and the corporate training she went to yesterday definitely had some info that tells me that this is happening.

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 29692247)
Sat down with another client today who also works at AA and went to the same training last week as the one mentioned in my previous post..

Presumably, that training included tomorrow's launch referenced in the image below, yet, best I can tell/find (maybe that's -my- limitation,) the sole change is a rather minor one I reference in my Twitter post on it tonight, and not including what they told you they received training about. Still trying to find indications otherwise.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3a886de4d.jpeg

LovePrunes May 5, 18 7:42 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 29717343)
Presumably, that training included tomorrow's launch referenced in the image below, yet, best I can tell/find (maybe that's -my- limitation,) the sole change is a rather minor one I reference in my Twitter post on it tonight, and not including what they told you they received training about. Still trying to find indications otherwise.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3a886de4d.jpeg

Hmmmm...
So what is AAdvantage Redesign 4.0c launching today May 5?

CloudCoder May 5, 18 8:09 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 29718575)
Hmmmm...

And why are loyal AAdvantange members since the early 1980s supposed to get their program updates from a random person on Twitter instead of directly from AA?

JonNYC May 5, 18 8:48 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 29718575)
Hmmmm...

From what I've been able to glean, as far as what the members see/get, it's this one, single change, as nutty as that sounds.

Originally Posted by CloudCoder (Post 29718620)
And why are loyal AAdvantange members since the early 1980s supposed to get their program updates from a random person on Twitter instead of directly from AA?

Only the savvy ones that actually want to know what's going on with AA/AAdvantage.

<redacted>

CloudCoder May 5, 18 10:08 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 29718711)
Only the savvy ones that actually want to know what's going on with AA/AAdvantage.

<redacted>

At all times, I (and I'm sure, many others) appreciate those who discover the info and distribute it for the benefit of others. I cannot imagine that it's even possible to do a better job at this than JonNYC has done over the decades, and continues to do . Much appreciated.

Still, why doesn't AA post a "What's New" page on their website? Apparently AA wants (or at least, does not mind if) their customers to know the latest developments. Surely there are better ways to distribute info about product updates? Not a complaint . Just a question. Why does a world-class corporation distribute their important product news through Twitter leaks?

enviroian May 5, 18 10:12 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder (Post 29718916)
Why does a world-class corporation

Who is this world class corporation you speak of?

:D

potus18 May 5, 18 10:59 am

Very happy to see this! Paid for J on LAX/SYD next week but waitlisted SWUs for SYD/LAX on the way back. We’re on separate record locators and my companion is Platinum — if (somehow) my upgrade cleared in advance of the airport, would my companion still continue to inherit my status?

CloudCoder May 5, 18 11:21 am

Ask and ye shell receive

Well, whaddaya know, wishes do come true:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/aadvantage-program-updates.jsp