Search

ER4's and bad weather

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
ER4's and bad weather

Can these birds not fly in bad weather? I'm scheduled to fly to corpus tomorrow on a 145 and today's schedule (rainy but no storms over dfw) half the flights were canceled. I looked at the FAA delay map and green for both dfw and crp.

What gives with these little tin torture tubes?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
My experience is that when there is bad weather and congestion which results in ground stops, extended tarmac delays and flow control, the first thing to get the axe are the smallest jet flights - take up as much runway time as a big jet but with far fewer passengers.
seawolf, C17PSGR and jacobguo like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:41 pm

I only see 1 ERJ flight CXLD today
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I only see 1 ERJ flight CXLD today
1 delayed, 3 canceled
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
My experience is that when there is bad weather and congestion which results in ground stops, extended tarmac delays and flow control, the first thing to get the axe are the smallest jet flights - take up as much runway time as a big jet but with far fewer passengers.
Right. Sounds very plausible to me.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
1 delayed, 3 canceled
As I said 1 ERJ. The rest are Mesa CR9s
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:34 pm

The smaller the jet, the bigger vulnerability to ATC and weather disruptions. AA wants to inconvenience as few folks as possible.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
When LGA has weather problems, lots of ERJ/E75 cancellations and some of the dfw and ord flights get cancelled. Its a matter of increased spacing means few planes can take off and land. Given the choice of cancelling an ERJ to Wichita Falls or a 738 to MCO, the ERJ will get cancelled.

That being said, there are visibility restrictions on landings that depend on certifications and aircraft capabilities. In some cases with reduced visibility, an AA 738 might have the capabilities and AA has the certification while an Envoy ERJ doesn't.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
It also does not count against the mainline on time performance (for another 6 months at least).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.