FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ER4's and bad weather (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1900992-er4s-bad-weather.html)

enviroian Mar 27, 2018 4:08 pm

ER4's and bad weather

Can these birds not fly in bad weather? I'm scheduled to fly to corpus tomorrow on a 145 and today's schedule (rainy but no storms over dfw) half the flights were canceled. I looked at the FAA delay map and green for both dfw and crp.

What gives with these little tin torture tubes?

IADCAflyer Mar 27, 2018 4:12 pm

My experience is that when there is bad weather and congestion which results in ground stops, extended tarmac delays and flow control, the first thing to get the axe are the smallest jet flights - take up as much runway time as a big jet but with far fewer passengers.

DataPlumber Mar 27, 2018 4:41 pm

I only see 1 ERJ flight CXLD today

enviroian Mar 27, 2018 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by DataPlumber (Post 29574391)
I only see 1 ERJ flight CXLD today

1 delayed, 3 canceled

enviroian Mar 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 29574325)
My experience is that when there is bad weather and congestion which results in ground stops, extended tarmac delays and flow control, the first thing to get the axe are the smallest jet flights - take up as much runway time as a big jet but with far fewer passengers.

Right. Sounds very plausible to me.

DataPlumber Mar 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 29574427)
1 delayed, 3 canceled

As I said 1 ERJ. The rest are Mesa CR9s

trvlr70 Mar 28, 2018 2:34 pm

The smaller the jet, the bigger vulnerability to ATC and weather disruptions. AA wants to inconvenience as few folks as possible.

C17PSGR Mar 28, 2018 3:32 pm

When LGA has weather problems, lots of ERJ/E75 cancellations and some of the dfw and ord flights get cancelled. Its a matter of increased spacing means few planes can take off and land. Given the choice of cancelling an ERJ to Wichita Falls or a 738 to MCO, the ERJ will get cancelled.

That being said, there are visibility restrictions on landings that depend on certifications and aircraft capabilities. In some cases with reduced visibility, an AA 738 might have the capabilities and AA has the certification while an Envoy ERJ doesn't.

ROCAT Mar 29, 2018 10:58 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 29574325)

It also does not count against the mainline on time performance (for another 6 months at least).