Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you wish AA would leave ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Do you wish AA would leave ORD?

As I was reading the article below about AA and the mayor of Chicago coming to an agreement regarding an $8 billion overhaul of ORD, it got me wondering .. Would you rather see AA leave for a different airport? If so, where would you put a hub?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-rahm-emanuel-american-airlines-ohare-20180314-story,amp.html
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
I fly AA because I live in Chicago and they are not United. So please, don't leave!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
AZO sounds like a perfect choice
no1cub17 and adunker like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
<snip> Would you rather see AA leave for a different airport?
No.
chgoeditor likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:50 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
AA used to have a hub in STL; due to its "southern" location less prone to ice/snow issues than ORD. IF they were to abandon ORD, I'd vote for STL. Why not bring back STL to lessen ORDs heavy flt load???
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
ORD is the 3rd largest domestic O&D airport in the country, even with the spill of passengers to MDW. CHI traffic gets split three 3-ways across UA/AA/WN but for people who understand the economics of airline hubbing, ORD is a pretty good location.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Gig103
As I was reading the article below about AA and the mayor of Chicago coming to an agreement regarding an $8 billion overhaul of ORD, it got me wondering .. Would you rather see AA leave for a different airport? If so, where would you put a hub?

Emanuel, American Airlines reach agreement on $8.5 billion O'Hare overhaul - Chicago Tribune
NO.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
AA used to have a hub in STL; due to its "southern" location less prone to ice/snow issues than ORD. IF they were to abandon ORD, I'd vote for STL. Why not bring back STL to lessen ORDs heavy flt load???
That hub was left over from TWA assets. I don't think it makes economic sense to have two hubs in that region. I doubt AA is going to abandoned ORD
enpremiere likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, Wyndham DM, Bonvoy Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
I fly AA because I live in Chicago and they are not United. So please, don't leave!
+1 Agreed
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:36 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

ORD complements AA’s network very nicely.

If we go clockwise, we have PHL - DCA - CLT - MIA - DFW - PHX - LAX - ORD.

You can see that it is almost like a full circle with the only gap being the northwest/mountain region.

Definitely a very nice set up and efficient network (how they structure the flights is a whole other story though).
KBMIFlyer, GTITAN and Gig103 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by golfingboy
ORD complements AA’s network very nicely.

If we go clockwise, we have PHL - DCA - CLT - MIA - DFW - PHX - LAX - ORD.

You can see that it is almost like a full circle with the only gap being the northwest/mountain region.

Definitely a very nice set up and efficient network (how they structure the flights is a whole other story though).
Agreed. The only other location that could potentially replace ORD would be MSP, which would obviously entail a lot of infrastructure spending for MSP. I doubt it would alleviate any of the wx issues, though.

I would love to see AA open a new hub in PDX or SEA, though.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, Wyndham DM, Bonvoy Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by swingaling
That would be interesting... I would imagine it would be a pretty large risk for AA since AS dominates that marketshare. DL has tried to regain over the years since they already have a hub at SEA, but it appears AS has managed to remain steady. With AA not having a pre-established hub, I would be curious how that would play out for all carriers.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Looks like AA and the city settled this dispute, making sure AA will stay at ORD. Which is good.

With Scott Kirby now running UA into the customer satisfaction grave, AA will benefit in ORD.
tryathlete and Jagger3939 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by swingaling
Agreed. The only other location that could potentially replace ORD would be MSP, which would obviously entail a lot of infrastructure spending for MSP. I doubt it would alleviate any of the wx issues, though.

As another Chicago-based flyer, I'd prefer AA stay so I don't have to cave to my company and start flying UA or WN (most likely UA since my overseas travel includes destinations other than the Caribbean and Mexico).

I agree that a northwest hub or "focus city" would be welcome (especially for Trans-Pacific flights). SEA might be tough sledding due to AS and DL taking a majority of the gate space, though.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:24 am

No, I don't wish that AA would leave ORD, I just wish that ORD would move closer to actually being in Chicago. Perhaps they could expand the old Meigs Field location a little bit, you know, like at KIX.

(How's that for a lateral response for ya? )
GTITAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.