FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Do you wish AA would leave ORD? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1898868-do-you-wish-aa-would-leave-ord.html)

Gig103 Mar 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Do you wish AA would leave ORD?

As I was reading the article below about AA and the mayor of Chicago coming to an agreement regarding an $8 billion overhaul of ORD, it got me wondering .. Would you rather see AA leave for a different airport? If so, where would you put a hub?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-rahm-emanuel-american-airlines-ohare-20180314-story,amp.html

rdurlabhji Mar 15, 2018 1:00 am

I fly AA because I live in Chicago and they are not United. So please, don't leave!

jacobguo Mar 15, 2018 1:43 am

AZO sounds like a perfect choice

jcatman Mar 15, 2018 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 29526701)
<snip> Would you rather see AA leave for a different airport?

No.

nrr Mar 15, 2018 5:50 am

AA used to have a hub in STL; due to its "southern":p location less prone to ice/snow issues than ORD. IF they were to abandon ORD, I'd vote for STL. Why not bring back STL to lessen ORDs heavy flt load???

3Cforme Mar 15, 2018 5:57 am

ORD is the 3rd largest domestic O&D airport in the country, even with the spill of passengers to MDW. CHI traffic gets split three 3-ways across UA/AA/WN but for people who understand the economics of airline hubbing, ORD is a pretty good location.

FAA1996 Mar 15, 2018 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 29526701)
As I was reading the article below about AA and the mayor of Chicago coming to an agreement regarding an $8 billion overhaul of ORD, it got me wondering .. Would you rather see AA leave for a different airport? If so, where would you put a hub?

Emanuel, American Airlines reach agreement on $8.5 billion O'Hare overhaul - Chicago Tribune

NO.

mvoight Mar 15, 2018 7:07 am

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 29527332)
AA used to have a hub in STL; due to its "southern":p location less prone to ice/snow issues than ORD. IF they were to abandon ORD, I'd vote for STL. Why not bring back STL to lessen ORDs heavy flt load???

That hub was left over from TWA assets. I don't think it makes economic sense to have two hubs in that region. I doubt AA is going to abandoned ORD

Jagger3939 Mar 15, 2018 7:19 am

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji (Post 29526889)
I fly AA because I live in Chicago and they are not United. So please, don't leave!

+1 Agreed

golfingboy Mar 15, 2018 7:36 am

ORD complements AA’s network very nicely.

If we go clockwise, we have PHL - DCA - CLT - MIA - DFW - PHX - LAX - ORD.

You can see that it is almost like a full circle with the only gap being the northwest/mountain region.

Definitely a very nice set up and efficient network (how they structure the flights is a whole other story though).

swingaling Mar 15, 2018 7:47 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 29527625)
ORD complements AA’s network very nicely.

If we go clockwise, we have PHL - DCA - CLT - MIA - DFW - PHX - LAX - ORD.

You can see that it is almost like a full circle with the only gap being the northwest/mountain region.

Definitely a very nice set up and efficient network (how they structure the flights is a whole other story though).

Agreed. The only other location that could potentially replace ORD would be MSP, which would obviously entail a lot of infrastructure spending for MSP. I doubt it would alleviate any of the wx issues, though.

I would love to see AA open a new hub in PDX or SEA, though.

Jagger3939 Mar 15, 2018 8:04 am

Originally Posted by swingaling (Post 29527683)

That would be interesting... I would imagine it would be a pretty large risk for AA since AS dominates that marketshare. DL has tried to regain over the years since they already have a hub at SEA, but it appears AS has managed to remain steady. With AA not having a pre-established hub, I would be curious how that would play out for all carriers.

econometrics Mar 15, 2018 8:13 am

Looks like AA and the city settled this dispute, making sure AA will stay at ORD. Which is good.

With Scott Kirby now running UA into the customer satisfaction grave, AA will benefit in ORD.

dantheflyingman Mar 15, 2018 8:19 am

Originally Posted by swingaling (Post 29527683)
Agreed. The only other location that could potentially replace ORD would be MSP, which would obviously entail a lot of infrastructure spending for MSP. I doubt it would alleviate any of the wx issues, though.

As another Chicago-based flyer, I'd prefer AA stay so I don't have to cave to my company and start flying UA or WN (most likely UA since my overseas travel includes destinations other than the Caribbean and Mexico).

I agree that a northwest hub or "focus city" would be welcome (especially for Trans-Pacific flights). SEA might be tough sledding due to AS and DL taking a majority of the gate space, though.

arlflyer Mar 15, 2018 8:24 am

No, I don't wish that AA would leave ORD, I just wish that ORD would move closer to actually being in Chicago. Perhaps they could expand the old Meigs Field location a little bit, you know, like at KIX.

(How's that for a lateral response for ya? :D)