Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 738 ”First” Class Thoughts (opinion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 738 ”First” Class Thoughts (opinion)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by DatBoi
I guess the stock market and the American attitude has to do with the awful product.
Excuse me if I ask, but what happened to PanAm and all the pioneering airlines world renowned for their exemplary service?
Oh, I think the federal airline deregulation act of 1978 here in the U.S. definitely had something to do with this......

http://aviationweek.com/blog/law-cha...cognition-1978
C17PSGR and Beltway2A like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 5, 2018 at 5:20 pm Reason: fixed the link
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:51 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
South America is jam packed with fifth freedom flights by QR, EK, ET, TK among others. LATAM, Aerolineas and Avianca all offer better narrowbody services than the American carriers.
True, there are some great fifth freedom flights in South America. Downside is they're all once daily, which might not compare favorably to hourly schedules on many US routes. I'm not sure I'd agree that LATAM, Aerolineas and Avianca offer better narrowbody service than their US counterparts. LATAM doesn't even have a premium cabin anymore on their narrowbody fleet; where something other than Y IS offered, it's the same concept as in Europe with rows of Y blocked off for business service.

Avianca and Aerolineas, on their narrowbody services, are more or less equivalent to US carriers. 38" (36" on Aerolineas) seat pitch, 2x2. Even in Asia, Cathay runs many routes with a recliner seat. Granted it's more roomy - 45" with a footrest - but far from lie-flat.

My point is, most US routes offer something slightly better than standard Y. I'm grateful for that option. Is it as good as Etihad or Emirates? No, but I wouldn't expect that to be the case. I'll take hourly flight schedules with a slightly wider and more roomy seat over a lie-flat or a seat without a footrest. And if you book carefully you can sometimes grab widebody equipment in the US (like on AA, who often run multiple domestic widebody flights into LAX).

Why wouldn't people pay for a flatbed?
definitely more willing to pay than between Colombo and Chennai in J (impoverished, 45 min flight)
where in addition to a flatbed, champagne and full bar is available, pdb is served, hot/cold towel and 3 course meal service.
Willing, maybe (JetBlue's experiment with Mint shows that's the case). But pricing pressure is so fierce in the US that JetBlue routinely sells $599 one-way Mint tickets for JFK-LAX, a 5-6 hour flight. That kind of pricing doesn't lead to carriers investing heavily in the product. On routes where it's warranted - SFO/LAX-JFK - they will, and they have done so. When you get $400-600 transcon fares (again, 4-6 hours in length), the economics aren't viable for them.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I'd say OP knew fully well what to expect as he has been complaining about the 'inferior' premium product in Europe and North America (compared to the Middle East and SE Asia) in previous threads with pretty much the exact same arguments.

Anyone who knows anything at all about business and economics can figure out why the domestic F product in America is what it is and why it is different in those other parts of the world. It's not rocket science. I'm sure in some parallel universe it'd make economic sense for an airline to run planes with Emirates' new First products from St.Louis to Phoenix and to charge people a few grand for the privilege.
Of course:

Lack of Leadership? CEO Parker unfamiliar with 737 MAX 8
Post #33

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ussion-24.html
Post #353 , #355 , #357

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post29128298
Post #339

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post29127954
Post #37

TLDR: Same thing over and over again, despite other FTers had offered insights on market dynamics.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Seems to me this really isn't a particular critique of AA. I mainly fly AA but have flown North American F over the past few months on AA, DL, and AS. I don't notice any huge differences between the three.

As others have noted, I don't know you can compare this with any other market. The closest similar market is obviously internal Europe flights and the North American F offered by North American carriers is definitely better than the F/J offered by European carriers. Internal Asia and ME flights aren't comparable markets in any sense. Over the years, some carriers have tried an upgraded domestic F (Legend Airlines anyone) but, as I'm sure you know, the trend globally favors the expansion of Ryanair, Easyjet, Flydubai, Air Asia, Jetstar, Spirit, etc.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:17 pm

Can anyone suggest any other options for US domestic travel (experience only not FFP as I am EY gold)?
Fly only transcontinental routes. Connect via Canada. Try Alaska or JetBlue. Take a train. Drive.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Fly only transcontinental routes. Connect via Canada. Try Alaska or JetBlue. Take a train. Drive.
JetBlue has a very limited availability of Mint. Alaska isn't really that different except on the remaining Virgin aircraft. Does AC have better F on its narrowbodies? Haven't heard that one.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
NetJets doesn't allow owners or jet card members to re-sell seats. Wheels Up allows members to resell to other members. JetSmarter does have shuttles in the US - so if you join them you can use your membership to fly by reserving single seats on their shuttles - but not sure that 10 people in a Challenger 350 for six hours is going to be that comfortable, or eight people in a Learjet from NY to Miami -- you do avoid having to hassle with airports though.
I was considering buying a jetsmarter membership, however their schedule for the shuttles was lackluster.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Flydubai
FZ offer flatbeds on their new 73M in J.
Even their old 737s feature 49" pitch in J.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:04 pm
Suspended

I was considering buying a jetsmarter membership, however their schedule for the shuttles was lackluster.
Then unless you can match your flying to those routes which are operated with international configurations or select transcon routes, you won't find anything outside of F seating similar to what you experienced, particularly with Virgin America disappearing.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Well then, your only two options remaining: 1) buy a G5 2) stay home.

What is the point of this "discussion'?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bse118
Well then, your only two options remaining: 1) buy a G5 2) stay home.

What is the point of this "discussion'?
OP wants us to know that this is the only acceptable way for them to travel: https://www.azureazure.com/luxury-to...t-in-the-world
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Pointless discussion not genuinely related to flying, earning on or other issue on AA, merely highlighting other global region airlines’ Business class vs. AA Business / First. Goodnight, Gracie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.