Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 738 ”First” Class Thoughts (opinion)

Old Mar 4, 18, 9:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold

Background: I have only flown AA on narrowbodies in US domestic F before.

The flight from DFW to JFK was miserable in F on the 738. There was PTV and the seat did look quite modern but the legroom and padding was awful and the absence of a footrest was disturbing. The meal service was worse than what EY serves in Y to MCT (35 min flight). Add to that the absence of lounge access. Can anyone suggest any other options for US domestic travel (experience only not FFP as I am EY gold)?
Old Mar 4, 18, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
They are the same, just book for convenience. Cabin class does not come with lounge access, only on select routes, JFK-LAX/SFO. Also, footrest are not that common with US carriers on domestic routes.
Old Mar 4, 18, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
If you find the lack of a footrest “disturbing,” then NetJets, Delta Private Jets, or a private charter should satisfy your needs. I don’t think any of the US commercial carriers will do it for you unfortunately.
Old Mar 4, 18, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by DatBoi View Post
Can AA just start acting like any legacy based outside of NA. 34" pitch for every Y seat, Curtains between cabins, proper domestic F with good meal service, legrest, 50" pitch and lounge access. I mean this would come at the expense of auto-upgrades, but who cares right?
I guess that I will never get how airlines work in that part of the world.. My two AA flights this year in domestic F a320 were bad - but I guess that is a function of my being used to atleast 49" pitch.
From quick search I don't think any U.S. airlines offer these for non-premium domestic routes.
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Gulf carrier’s and perhaps a few others may offer that level,of domestic First / International Business, but try intra-Europe, with 30-31” pitch, to keep it all in perspective.

AA, DL, UA offer some premium routes with improved cabins, and JetBlue is expanding its decent Mint product.
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by andersonCooper View Post
From quick search I don't think any U.S. airlines offer these for non-premium domestic routes.
Europe is honestly worse than the US -- Euro-business is the same pitch as coach (often 29-31") with a middle seat block.

Asia isn't necessarily better either -- for example, JAL's "business" product is a 38" pitch on domestic 738s with no legrests. Basically, the same product.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The Gulf carrier’s and perhaps a few others
My local carriers
I fly AUH/DXB-MAA (4.5 hour flight) several times a year in J and when flying EY/UL I get a recliner with footrest and 49" pitch and when I fly EK or UL (through DXB) I get a flatbed. I also get lounge access and a proper meal service.
I do find ways to criticise even those airlines in minor ways however.
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmr50 View Post
Asia isn't necessarily better either -- for example, JAL's "business" product is a 38" pitch on domestic 738s with no legrests. Basically, the same product.
Where do they fly those 738s?
Whenever I fly intrajapan I always find myself on a comfy widebody.
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do find ways to criticise even those airlines in minor ways however.
I’m sure you do.
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
If you think AA domestic F is bad, try flying first within Europe...
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asf-07 View Post
If you think AA domestic F is bad, try flying first within Europe...
Never shall that day come as I would rather connect in Moscow or Istanbul to avoid doing so.
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
[QUOTE=DatBoi;29486040]Background: I have only flown AA on narrowbodies in US domestic F before.

The flight from DFW to JFK was miserable in F on the 738. There was PTV and the seat did look quite modern but the legroom and padding was awful and the absence of a footrest was disturbing. The meal service was worse than what EY serves in Y to MCT (35 min flight). Add to that the absence of lounge access. Can anyone suggest any other options for US domestic travel (experience only not FFP as I am EY gold)?[/QUOTE

If you are going to compare service between an international flight, albeit a short distance on Ethiad, to a domestic flight on any US airline, you are going to be a bit disappointed.
DatBoi likes this.
Old Mar 4, 18, 11:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YtravelF View Post
If you find the lack of a footrest “disturbing,” then NetJets, Delta Private Jets, or a private charter should satisfy your needs. I don’t think any of the US commercial carriers will do it for you unfortunately.
Not a bad idea!!
I could hire a netjet and sell the extra seats on jetsmarter.
Old Mar 4, 18, 11:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Another issue here is that when I book an a321 on AA am I to expect:
This:
This:

Or This:

Very confusing....
Old Mar 4, 18, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Never shall that day come as I would rather connect in Moscow or Istanbul to avoid doing so.
That’s the solution then!
You can fly Dallas to New York via São Paulo or London and get the product you desire.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: