FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA 738 ”First” Class Thoughts (opinion) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1897058-aa-738-first-class-thoughts-opinion.html)

DatBoi Mar 4, 2018 9:21 pm

AA 738 ”First” Class Thoughts (opinion)

Background: I have only flown AA on narrowbodies in US domestic F before.

The flight from DFW to JFK was miserable in F on the 738. There was PTV and the seat did look quite modern but the legroom and padding was awful and the absence of a footrest was disturbing. The meal service was worse than what EY serves in Y to MCT (35 min flight). Add to that the absence of lounge access. Can anyone suggest any other options for US domestic travel (experience only not FFP as I am EY gold)?

arollins Mar 4, 2018 9:46 pm

They are the same, just book for convenience. Cabin class does not come with lounge access, only on select routes, JFK-LAX/SFO. Also, footrest are not that common with US carriers on domestic routes.

YtravelF Mar 4, 2018 9:50 pm

If you find the lack of a footrest “disturbing,” then NetJets, Delta Private Jets, or a private charter should satisfy your needs. I don’t think any of the US commercial carriers will do it for you unfortunately.

andersonCooper Mar 4, 2018 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by DatBoi (Post 29127954)
Can AA just start acting like any legacy based outside of NA. 34" pitch for every Y seat, Curtains between cabins, proper domestic F with good meal service, legrest, 50" pitch and lounge access. I mean this would come at the expense of auto-upgrades, but who cares right?

Originally Posted by DatBoi (Post 29249130)
I guess that I will never get how airlines work in that part of the world.. My two AA flights this year in domestic F a320 were bad - but I guess that is a function of my being used to atleast 49" pitch.

From quick search I don't think any U.S. airlines offer these for non-premium domestic routes.

JDiver Mar 4, 2018 10:01 pm

The Gulf carrier’s and perhaps a few others may offer that level,of domestic First / International Business, but try intra-Europe, with 30-31” pitch, to keep it all in perspective.

AA, DL, UA offer some premium routes with improved cabins, and JetBlue is expanding its decent Mint product.

jmr50 Mar 4, 2018 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper (Post 29486117)
From quick search I don't think any U.S. airlines offer these for non-premium domestic routes.

Europe is honestly worse than the US -- Euro-business is the same pitch as coach (often 29-31") with a middle seat block.

Asia isn't necessarily better either -- for example, JAL's "business" product is a 38" pitch on domestic 738s with no legrests. Basically, the same product.

DatBoi Mar 4, 2018 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 29486136)
The Gulf carrier’s and perhaps a few others

My local carriers :D
I fly AUH/DXB-MAA (4.5 hour flight) several times a year in J and when flying EY/UL I get a recliner with footrest and 49" pitch and when I fly EK or UL (through DXB) I get a flatbed. I also get lounge access and a proper meal service.
I do find ways to criticise even those airlines in minor ways however.

DatBoi Mar 4, 2018 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by jmr50 (Post 29486140)
Asia isn't necessarily better either -- for example, JAL's "business" product is a 38" pitch on domestic 738s with no legrests. Basically, the same product.

Where do they fly those 738s?
Whenever I fly intrajapan I always find myself on a comfy widebody.

ijgordon Mar 4, 2018 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by DatBoi (Post 29486150)
I do find ways to criticise even those airlines in minor ways however.

I’m sure you do. :rolleyes:

asf-07 Mar 4, 2018 10:29 pm

If you think AA domestic F is bad, try flying first within Europe...

DatBoi Mar 4, 2018 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by asf-07 (Post 29486198)
If you think AA domestic F is bad, try flying first within Europe...

Never shall that day come as I would rather connect in Moscow or Istanbul to avoid doing so.

mvoight Mar 4, 2018 10:47 pm

[QUOTE=DatBoi;29486040]Background: I have only flown AA on narrowbodies in US domestic F before.

The flight from DFW to JFK was miserable in F on the 738. There was PTV and the seat did look quite modern but the legroom and padding was awful and the absence of a footrest was disturbing. The meal service was worse than what EY serves in Y to MCT (35 min flight). Add to that the absence of lounge access. Can anyone suggest any other options for US domestic travel (experience only not FFP as I am EY gold)?[/QUOTE

If you are going to compare service between an international flight, albeit a short distance on Ethiad, to a domestic flight on any US airline, you are going to be a bit disappointed.

DatBoi Mar 4, 2018 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by YtravelF (Post 29486113)
If you find the lack of a footrest “disturbing,” then NetJets, Delta Private Jets, or a private charter should satisfy your needs. I don’t think any of the US commercial carriers will do it for you unfortunately.

Not a bad idea!!
I could hire a netjet and sell the extra seats on jetsmarter.

DatBoi Mar 4, 2018 11:14 pm

Another issue here is that when I book an a321 on AA am I to expect:
This:https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...cad48fcb5.jpeg
This:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...394c924b9.jpeg
Or This:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3998c32b5.jpeg
Very confusing....

DWFI Mar 4, 2018 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by DatBoi (Post 29486213)
Never shall that day come as I would rather connect in Moscow or Istanbul to avoid doing so.

That’s the solution then!
You can fly Dallas to New York via São Paulo or London and get the product you desire.