Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 738 ”First” Class Thoughts (opinion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 738 ”First” Class Thoughts (opinion)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
No, it’s not confusing.
If you book an A321 between JFK and LAX/SFO you will get the second (F) or third (J) picture. Virtually every other route (except in very select instances, check the seat map) you will get the first picture.
That is confusing.
DatBoi likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by bse118
TLDR: Customer doesn't understand or bother to research the product he is buying. Expects the entire US domestic airline market to conform to his narrow expectations based on market dynamics in a completely different region of the planet.

Nothing to see here.
TL/DR North American airlines have indoctrinated their customer base to accept a sub-par product which they then misleadingly call "First Class" contrary to the rest of the entire world's understanding of what First Class is, on aircraft that don't even offer Business Class, then those customers defend such airlines to the death when offered conflicting opinions from those who travel elsewhere in the world in superior products.

Best comparison would be AA and EK on 1h, 3h, 7h and 12h segments, see what products each offer, in all classes of service. Are you confident AA will prevail?
Gig103 and Techno36 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:13 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
TL/DR North American airlines have indoctrinated their customer base to accept a sub-par product which they then misleadingly call "First Class" contrary to the rest of the entire world's understanding of what First Class is...
Not entirely limited to North American airlines. Travel within China and you'll see the same - "First" class on domestic routes (even regional routes) is standard norrowbody recliner. Personally I'm quite happy that US carriers offer a proper premium cabin, even if it's a slightly larger seat. Travel in Europe or South America doesn't always offer the privilege. I would much rather that than the alternatives Lufthansa, TAM/LATAM or BA present to their customers on narrowbody flights.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Markets are different, and often served with different products. That's true of air travel, cars, and clothing, among other consumer purchases.

A few people in this thread keep demonstrating their ignorance of the domestic U.S. market, still among the largest air travel markets. I don't see how that can be rewarding for them.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by dll
Personally I'm quite happy that US carriers offer a proper premium cabin.
Which carriers are those?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Best comparison would be AA and EK on 1h, 3h, 7h and 12h segments, see what products each offer, in all classes of service. Are you confident AA will prevail?
Given that EK can't offer US domestic service, I'm 100% AA will prevail.

More to the point, even if foreign carriers could operate US domestic routes, I'm always baffled why people believe they'd magically offer better service than US carriers rather than matching the prevailing market price and service levels.
bse118 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:31 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Which carriers are those?
Compared to Europe, Delta, American, Alaska and United all are well ahead of their European peers. Granted, their stage lengths are shorter on average, but would I rather fly Lisbon-Frankfurt (~3 hours) or CDG-AMM (4h 40m) in LH or AF's slimline Y seat or American's 737 F seat? Easy answer. Grateful we have the option, given how the industry's been behaving.

And Virgin America, until the retrofit to Alaska's updated interiors happens, are still leading the pack.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by dll
South America
South America is jam packed with fifth freedom flights by QR, EK, ET, TK among others. LATAM, Aerolineas and Avianca all offer better narrowbody services than the American carriers.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by rjw242
Given that EK can't offer US domestic service, I'm 100% AA will prevail.

More to the point, even if foreign carriers could operate US domestic routes, I'm always baffled why people believe they'd magically offer better service than US carriers rather than matching the prevailing market price and service levels.
​​​​​​
and AA doesn't service DXB-BOM, wonder who'll prevail there. You know what argument I was making, reductio ad absurdum, regardless of the route, comparing flights of similar distance. Why should a 3h flight between two US cities be different to a 3h flight between two middle eastern cities? Or SYD-AKL, or HKG-BKK, or CMB-SIN, it's not like it's a single other market that EK lives in. And many carriers offer something closer to the US "F" service in such regional routes in the MEA region, e.g. QR and EY, also WY, MS and TK. Yet somehow there's still a market for the wide body flat-bed service EK offers. Are you saying that there's not sufficient demand for AA to provide flat bed service between JFK and ABQ, SLC and DEN, SEA and wherever.

Obviously there are a million factors, market dynamics are one of them, everyone offers a low-level premium experience so they get away with it, just like the arms race on trans cons is pushing the products back up. If you compare sector length, regardless of region or market, just sector length and product and service offered....that's my argument
Techno36 and DatBoi like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Well said MR skywardshunter
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by DatBoi
Background: I have only flown AA on narrowbodies in US domestic F before.

The flight from DFW to JFK was miserable in F on the 738......
Since you specifically mentioned the Dallas - New York market, Alaska Airlines does offer nonstop service between Dallas Love Field (DAL) and New York LaGuardia (LGA) with Embraer 175 aircraft. Seat Guru says the pitch is 42" with a seat width of 21" in F on these flights which I believe are actually operated by SkyWest. And nope, this is not international F or J standards by any stretch of the imagination....but the E175 is not bad.

Back to AA, they do operate some U.S. domestic routes with aircraft offering their international J seats such as MIA-LAX with the 772, MIA-DFW with the 772, 763 and I think their international version of the 757 with lie flat J seats (looks like we'll be on one of those next month in the front cabin), DFW-LAX with the 789 and DFW-HNL/DFW-OGG with the 772.

Meantime, I've got a SFO-MIA nonstop flight on AA in F on the 738 coming up and I'm not expecting much. Hopefully, I'll get a hot breakfast out of SFO!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
​​​​​​
Are you saying that there's not sufficient demand for AA to provide flat bed service between JFK and ABQ, SLC and DEN, SEA and wherever.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You're making the common mistake of assuming all flights of the same length have the same economics.

​​​​
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
​​​​​​
Are you saying that there's not sufficient demand for AA to provide flat bed service between JFK and ABQ, SLC and DEN, SEA and wherever.
Yep. Otherwise they would offer it.

Other big difference is the upgrade culture here vs the ME. EK isn't filling their flat beds on a 3 hour flight with people paying base level Y and upgrading; a sizeable chunk/majority are paying passengers. You aren't getting 12-16 paying J passengers on JFK-ABQ paying a premium for flat beds.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius

Other big difference is the upgrade culture here vs the ME. EK isn't filling their flat beds on a 3 hour flight with people paying base level Y and upgrading; a sizeable chunk/majority are paying passengers. You aren't getting 12-16 paying J passengers on JFK-ABQ paying a premium for flat beds.
Why wouldn't people pay for a flatbed?
definitely more willing to pay than between Colombo and Chennai in J (impoverished, 45 min flight)
where in addition to a flatbed, champagne and full bar is available, pdb is served, hot/cold towel and 3 course meal service.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Antarius

Perhaps they're not paying because they know they don't have to...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.