Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AA actively trying to kill SFO-LAX?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Are people intentionally doing this route bc of or award travel or upgrades? This is a lot of work, stress, time, etc. vs just taking BA out of SFO or SJC direct to LHR, which is pretty easy to do logistically.
Got a great rate of 1,700 Euros in J and I think the seats on the 777-300 and hopefully also the food and service will be better than BA...
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Are people intentionally doing this route bc of or award travel or upgrades? This is a lot of work, stress, time, etc. vs just taking BA out of SFO or SJC direct to LHR, which is pretty easy to do logistically.
SWUs only work on AA metal and BA's CW is not good. Plus, with the closure of the sub-par BA lounge in the international terminal, even the AC in LAX is probably looking pretty good... Anyone been in the China Airlines lounge yet?
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I take connection flights through the remote terminal all the time. 30 minutes with a carry on is tight but workable. 57 minutes is a breeze.

but ....if I was making an international connection and hanging out in the Qantas F lounge or the Flagship Lounge, I'll definitely take the earlier connection.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ShortDog
Anyone been in the China Airlines lounge yet?
That's the Skyteam lounge in TBIT? It's not that good. Free alcohol, but lacks in food selections.

I was looking for flights in April and I saw that there were a couple of flights on mainline planes planes now, on a 738, 32B, and 319. A welcome change imo.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by chenalex
That's the Skyteam lounge in TBIT? It's not that good. Free alcohol, but lacks in food selections.

I was looking for flights in April and I saw that there were a couple of flights on mainline planes planes now, on a 738, 32B, and 319. A welcome change imo.
No, it's the BA lounge in the SFO international terminal that's closing, and they're redirecting people to the China Airlines lounge.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This is all great advice. I canceled my hold and put a hold on a much earlier SFO-LAX flight, a 3 hour connection, and the earlier LAX-LHR flight (AA 108) as well. That seems to give me a lot of options in case of issues.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to F (solo seat) in the E175. New product for me. Looking forward to flagship business on the 77W much, much, more
You will very much enjoy both seating options. There is a separate thread as you probably know for the opinions of FTers on the quality of specific rows and sections of J class on the 77W.
jtav559 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Looks like starting in May (and going through at least June), the last SFO-LAX departure is 6:15pm. If that’s a long-term schedule change, that could very well put me over the edge to move to UA.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by potus18
Looks like starting in May (and going through at least June), the last SFO-LAX departure is 6:15pm. If that’s a long-term schedule change, that could very well put me over the edge to move to UA.
Looks like it drops from 10-12 per day to 7-8 per day from May 3 to June 5, with none of the three evening flights running during those dates (at least in the current timetable, per Expert Flyer).

It does go back to 11-12 per day on June 6.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Looks like it drops from 10-12 per day to 7-8 per day from May 3 to June 5, with none of the three evening flights running during those dates (at least in the current timetable, per Expert Flyer).

Is there some runway issue going on - perhaps - planned for SFO?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid

Schedules have only been updated/finalized through June 5. If, in about 3-4 weeks, there are still 11-12 flights a day that's another story...
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
They might as well just do it... Just tried to change to an earlier flight from SFO-LAX and they wanted $600-ish for the change; ($200 change ticket fee). rest is the fare difference. Hell, my entire RT trip (SFO-HKG) cost $657!!! I'll wait to see if I can get on an earlier flight day of departure. Not going to risk it by buying a OW to LAX on earlier flight and just show up for my connection to HKG.

Shame... As the cost for a OW for my date of travel is as follows: Basic Y cost - $140; Main cabin - $170; F - $274
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
They might as well just do it... Just tried to change to an earlier flight from SFO-LAX and they wanted $600-ish for the change; ($200 change ticket fee). rest is the fare difference. Hell, my entire RT trip (SFO-HKG) cost $657!!! I'll wait to see if I can get on an earlier flight day of departure. Not going to risk it by buying a OW to LAX on earlier flight and just show up for my connection to HKG.

Shame... As the cost for a OW for my date of travel is as follows: Basic Y cost - $140; Main cabin - $170; F - $274
And just like that... I’m cleared into F at the T-100 mark. LOL
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I am looking to AS for better schedule that fits me (SFO-LAX-SFO).
AA cancelled AA6015 LAX-SFO 18:30-19:39, and re-booked me on AA6012 departure time 20:00. Frustrating!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
I am looking to AS for better schedule that fits me (SFO-LAX-SFO).
AA cancelled AA6015 LAX-SFO 18:30-19:39, and re-booked me on AA6012 departure time 20:00. Frustrating!
I'm right there with you... I'm returning to LAX from HKG at 5:30 PM. And the schedule will not allow me to select flight AA6015 since im returning from abroad and may not make the connection. So, I have to wait for AA 6020 at 11 PM as that's the next available flight. GREAT!! Will be spending the bulk of my time at Qantas FL and AA FL rather than over at the eagle's nest AC.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc

Every time I've gone on standby for an earlier SFO-LAX flight, I've been #1 and cleared the standby list. Unless you're flying on a busy Sunday (toughest day), then you will likely clear the earlier flight as an EP, based on my previous experience.
Zacnlinc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.