Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AA actively trying to kill SFO-LAX?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
No, the proposed people mover will run landside and connect all terminals to the remote parking, rental car, and ground transportation facilities. The Eagle's Nest is connected to T4 and T5 airside by these shuttle buses; these buses will be the only way to get to and from the Nest as long as it's in operation.

Thanks. For some reason I thought part of the project was intra-terminal airside. (Apparently it needs to be. )
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
All my one and done has moved to WN OAK-BUR or OAK-LAX, not so much because of the busing overhead but for convenience and flexibility- even though my Mid-Wilshire destination is much closer to LAX than BUR, the latter is much faster for both security and driving approach (even when LAX TSA Pre is flowing well).

However, I am sympathetic to the issue; I've nearly missed connecting international flights because a 1:30 or 1:50 connection wasn't enough to account for delays (actually would have missed if not for a particularly helpful club agent getting me on a delayed earlier flight). When things are moving smoothly I don't really mind the buses, and normally don't have much of a wait- never experienced the big lines- only ones that added perhaps 10 min to the wait. But, I don't see how AA can possibly move all the SFO-LAX flights back to T4; do they have that much gate availability? I think there's around a dozen frequencies on weekdays.

Add: I also don't mind the larger Embraers; relatively comfortable.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc

shuttle is required to connect. It's the bottle neck we all hate when delayed leaving SFO or waiting on the field in LA for a gate. All too often I'm use to aiming for the 5:30 pm flight knowing full well that the 7 or 8:30 flight out of SFO will connect with my flight to Asia. I've convinced myself that it just allows me more time to enjoy Qantas FL that much longer if I'm on the 5:30 departure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius [img]images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/img]
Is it possible to walk to the Eagle’s Nest from T4/5, or do you have to take the shuttle bus?

Thanks
No, you have to take the bus. It is in a remote part of the airport and you can't walk to another gate or baggage claim/street level even if you wanted to.

Thank you both!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Is it possible to walk to the Eagle’s Nest from T4/5, or do you have to take the shuttle bus?

Thanks
Yes, you can. No, you may not.
(It is physically possible, but you are not permitted to.)
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
ugh the nest. The worst is when you have to remote stand at the Eagles nest. Then it is a bus to the nest followed by a bus to T4.

LA(t)WA : Los Angeles (third) World Airports.
Nah, the worst would be from a remote stand for mainline to a remote stand at the Eagle's Nest.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AA actually improved SFO-LAX in some ways.
1) Used E175s which have a better configuration than the 737s/MD80s that used to fly the route.
2) Increased the frequency: up to 12 flights compared to 5-6 a few years ago
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by no2chem
8:50am... Yeah, it's the worst I've seen it yet.
Lord......I have NEVER seen it like that!

Ugh.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Austin787
AA actually improved SFO-LAX in some ways.
1) Used E175s which have a better configuration than the 737s/MD80s that used to fly the route.
2) Increased the frequency: up to 12 flights compared to 5-6 a few years ago
Much improved today - 9 out of 12 are cancelled (or thereabouts). Plus two extra flights added in (larger planes presumably) that are running 3 hours delayed.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Much improved today - 9 out of 12 are cancelled (or thereabouts). Plus two extra flights added in (larger planes presumably) that are running 3 hours delayed.
We're experiencing the largest winter storm since 2011 in Northern California (Tahoe is getting 5 feet of snow) - SFO is a mess. Hard to really judge the entire operation based on really poor weather conditions and high winds today
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...475560323.html
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by no2chem
8:50am... Yeah, it's the worst I've seen it yet.
I have seen it like this twice. Once, I wrote off as a fluke - drivers sick, whatever. Fine. I get it.

But twice in two months?

No AA between SFO and LAX for me anymore.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by lds89
We're experiencing the largest winter storm since 2011 in Northern California (Tahoe is getting 5 feet of snow) - SFO is a mess. Hard to really judge the entire operation based on really poor weather conditions and high winds today
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...475560323.html
Another reason to fly WN out of OAK - SFO has delays anytime there's a cloud in the sky.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
No they are not trying to kill SFO-LAX, they just want you to go SFO-CLT-LAX to get to your LAX connection.
Zacnlinc, AANYC1981 and potus18 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:31 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
O/D traffic on SFO-LAX is very, very painful on AA. I've switched to WN and DL for it due to the LAX layout (SFO flights depart/arrive from the north side, almost always; WN and DL have short taxis compared to VX, UA and AA). I do really like the EMB-175 equipment, but DL have some flights operated by it (mostly 717 for the others). I strongly dislike WN in general - open seating and their change/standby policy isn't my favorite - but for short flights like this they make sense.

I would say, after running this flight weekly since January, that WN routinely has the worst on-time record. DL is generally pretty good, and so is AA (well with 2-hour block times, often early!). VX and UA decent too but they're my last choice, in that order.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
I will say that LAX-SFO (or LAX-SJC) is a much more pleasant. Maybe it's a couple of glasses of Bollinger right before the flight intl the FL, but heading to eagle from T4 usually takes about 10-15mins... I've found that leaving the FL 5 mins before boarding is usually fine.

And when you land at SFO/SJC, there will usually be a gate.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Just arrived at the AC here in SFO after CLEAR insist that I use security at T1 since there was a huge back up with CLEAR as well as PreCheck (I have both). Was told that since I'm departing from Gate 45, I shuld use that security checkpoint. So, I made the walk over there, 2-4 min walk, and I was the next one to walk in to CLEAR and then PreCheck. Amazing difference! Then I made the walk back to to T2 for AC as I'm about 1.5 hrs early for my flight. Oh well!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.