Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AA actively trying to kill SFO-LAX?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Update:

and yes, we’re currently delayed leaving SFO by 30 mins. Airflow issues into LAX on the SFO-LAX route
Capt. says we should still arrive on time though.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
I fly this route everyone week and sometimes twice. If SFO is your hub or frequent airport, you should know gate 45 is T1 and 5X gates are T2. Just go straight to T1 security. Is AC really necessary for domestic flights?

LAX remote terminal is a pain, but I agree with everyone that it has gotten better. I have made my last few flights going from rental car to gate under 20mins.

Also agree with people that like the E175. The single seat F is better than any 737. My upgrade rate is damn near 100% on this route. Good luck getting upgraded on UA and the 3-3 seatings in coach.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:49 am
JBD

Question re equipment changes please

Traveling with my 90 yr old dad, needing to go LAX-SFO at the end of March. I'm miles rich and cash poor and wanting to make this as painless on my dad as possible.

LAX's Eagles Nest logistics would be too much for him, but I've found there's one flight a day on a 738, Flight 2533 in both directions. I put on hold first class MileSAAver award tix, 30k roundtrip pp. A lot of miles for this short hop, but worth it to make my dad comfortable.

But what are the chances of the 738 being swapped for the E175?

I've been reading up on the 738 Oasis conversions, currently my res shows a 160 seats Version 1 - but a change between 738s wouldn't be a concern because we'd still leave LAX from the main terminal. (If I'm makng the wrong assumption, please someone correct me!)

If of interest to others: I also see one flight a day on a 319, Flight 2764 in both directions - but those times don't work for us.

TIA
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by JBD
Traveling with my 90 yr old dad, needing to go LAX-SFO at the end of March. I'm miles rich and cash poor and wanting to make this as painless on my dad as possible.

LAX's Eagles Nest logistics would be too much for him, but I've found there's one flight a day on a 738, Flight 2533 in both directions. I put on hold first class MileSAAver award tix, 30k roundtrip pp. A lot of miles for this short hop, but worth it to make my dad comfortable.

I've been reading up on the 738 Oasis conversions, currently my res shows a 160 seats Version 1 - but a change between 738s wouldn't be a concern because we'd still leave LAX from the main terminal. (If I'm makng the wrong assumption, please someone correct me!)

If of interest to others: I also see one flight a day on a 319, Flight 2764 in both directions - but those times don't work for us.

TIA
There is always a *chance*, but I don't think it would happen:
  • Schedules are loaded for 2019Q1, I doubt they will change equipment at this point. Perhaps a small adjustment to flight time.
  • That route is currently running with 738 on the flight you are interested in. Started on 12/19 from what I can tell. Has run every day since on 738 metal.
  • Tons of 738's that come through LAX, if your originally scheduled plane took a mechanical they would have another one available in short order.
  • Not very common occurrence for AA to move a mainline flight on to regional metal in a IRROPS situation.
You should be good!
JBD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Glad to see they're starting to run some mainline on this route again
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by lds89
Glad to see they're starting to run some mainline on this route again
There is scuttlebutt going around right now that SFO is trimming regional carrier flights from their portfolio as the congestion is becoming more and more of an issue. There have been announcements from AA and UA regarding service into regional airports like Santa Rosa and Stockton to assist in freeing up slots at SFO. And moving 2 regional flights into 1 mainline flight is another way to accomplish that as well.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Reminds me of when SJC-LAX went to only Eagle flights, after AA completely gave up on SJC-SNA
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JBD
If they do, it's a change of carrier and you can redeposit your miles w/o fees.
JBD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jtav559
There is scuttlebutt going around right now that SFO is trimming regional carrier flights from their portfolio as the congestion is becoming more and more of an issue. There have been announcements from AA and UA regarding service into regional airports like Santa Rosa and Stockton to assist in freeing up slots at SFO. And moving 2 regional flights into 1 mainline flight is another way to accomplish that as well.
This points up one of the left unsaid concerns about getting rid of smaller aircraft, e.g. CRJ's up to larger RJ's and RJ's to full-size single-aisle. Easiest way is to cut frequencies. That is fine for the leisure traveler. But, on short-haul and where time is money, the question becomes whether hanging around somewhere doing nothing or getting to work or home faster if not in less comfort, is better.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jtav559
  • That route is currently running with 738 on the flight you are interested in. Started on 12/19 from what I can tell. Has run every day since on 738 metal.
There has been at least one 738 running on LAX-SFO since the beginning of October – the flight number seems to have changed on 12/19, but the equipment has been doing it for a while.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Often1
This points up one of the left unsaid concerns about getting rid of smaller aircraft, e.g. CRJ's up to larger RJ's and RJ's to full-size single-aisle. Easiest way is to cut frequencies. That is fine for the leisure traveler. But, on short-haul and where time is money, the question becomes whether hanging around somewhere doing nothing or getting to work or home faster if not in less comfort, is better.
Agreed! I fly out of SFO (usually down to LAX or SAN) and the frequencies that AA has with the E175's work well for my needs, usually. Not to mention it is a nice plane for that hour long flight versus a mainline 738 sardine can.

The trimming down is certainly coming to a head - what was once hourly service is now every 90 mins or 2 hours.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
LAX-SFO may be the biggest market in the US in terms of frequency. IIRC there are well over 100 daily flights in the market - just between those two airports: AA, DL, UA, WN, and AS all have multiple frequencies.

Add to that at least 50 daily flights between SJC and LAX, 15 daily flights between OAK and LAX, and the dozens of flights from the various San Francisco airports and the various LA airports, there is a s**t-ton of traffic.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Some things to keep in mind before people rant about topics like AA giving up Bay Area -XYZ market. WN owns inter CA/west coast market, period. I have been a EXP for over 10 years yet I mostly fly WN for any destination west of rockies, the airport coverage and frequencies simply can't be touched by anybody. Recently I flew to DEN for few days from SJC from where there was an early flight that got me in time, on way back I got done early and there was an early flight back to SJC but that would have left me handling the traffic buzzsaw out of SJC to east bay, instead I ended up choosing the flight back to OAK from where my commute back home was only 30 mns, no airline can provide that kind of flexibility. The Biz Select fares on WN are designed for the purpose of getting occasional travelers like me with the flexibility to change whenever with no cost.

I am grateful for AA to build up in LAX, have flown on their flights to HKG/NRT/PVG recently and look forward to their EZE service next year where I fly 1-2 times a year, for these international flights I don't care the extra half hr it takes to connect, AA is trying to use their space the best. If you a O&D traveller between Bay Area and LAX, you got your choice of 200+ flights as earlier poster has mentioned. Out of SFO it would be great if AA can deploy better planes to PHL and CLT, otherwise their coverage is perfect, the upgrades to JFK is perhaps the single best thing I am thankful to AA for.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JBD

TIA
For this route, it’s WN or Alaska. AA to/from SFO/LAX is a giant chore for 50 mins. Most people take the route as part of connections or don’t realize the Nest/smaller plane part.
JBD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I am still missing QQ (Reno Air)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.