Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Is there a way to tell the difference for one's specific flight, say based on the seat chart?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
The only way to know for sure is to look at the tail number, and for a flight leaving a hub city that can change up to the last minute.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by akcae
Is there a way to tell the difference for one's specific flight, say based on the seat chart?
There used to be but all 738's have the same seat map starting at row 7 in main cabin.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:54 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
And there is no "retrofit".

There are 3 "types" of AA 738s:

1) Non-Boeing Signature Interior, Non-IFE
2) Boeing Signature Interior, Non-IFE
3) Boeing Signature Interior, IFE

Neither BSI or IFE will be added to planes that are "types" 1 or 2.

Greg
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Has anyone else noticed they redid the seat covers in main cabin too? Gone are the cloth seats and they're all leather (or pleather) dark blue?

All 738s at least have drop down TV screens with movies and shorter flights NBC Universal. I actually got hooked on JLOs new show "Shades of Blue" from the drop down TVs.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by asf-07
The only way to know for sure is to look at the tail number, and for a flight leaving a hub city that can change up to the last minute.
Correct.

Easiest way is to take the incoming tail number off of the app or website and cross reference it with the AA fleet Google doc if you want to know what that particular aircraft features.

But, as you say, that's always subject to change.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by GregL
And there is no "retrofit".

There are 3 "types" of AA 738s:

1) Non-Boeing Signature Interior, Non-IFE
2) Boeing Signature Interior, Non-IFE
3) Boeing Signature Interior, IFE

Neither BSI or IFE will be added to planes that are "types" 1 or 2.

Greg
Just for the sake of accuracy. All 737s have IFE, but types 1 and 2 have overhead drop-down screen, as opposed to in seat IFE/PTVs/AVOD.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Has anyone else noticed they redid the seat covers in main cabin too? Gone are the cloth seats and they're all leather (or pleather) dark blue?
Yep, I've noticed several 738s with the updated pleather covers. It's good for the consistent look and looks good too, but it'll probably be less comfortable.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
757 domestic "angled lie flat seats"

As a United regular, I hope I can ask for some help! Planning a family trip to Orlando next April, I looked at Google flights and stumbled on decent fares that seem to include lie-flat seats most of the way according to Google flights. I'm finding it very hard to confirm this using AA's seatmap but my research in seatguru seems to confirm that the planes we would be on are some kind of international configuration. Below is the list of flights. Any help appreciated, including best method of figuring this out. Is my list below correct?

4/12 SFO-DFW AA 2298 8:08 am lie flat
4/12 DFW-MCO AA 2288 3:00 pm regular first seat
4/18 MCO-DFW AA 1218 1:56 pm lie flat
4/18 DFW-SFO AA 2252 4:30 pm lie flat
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sfolawyer
As a United regular, I hope I can ask for some help! Planning a family trip to Orlando next April, I looked at Google flights and stumbled on decent fares that seem to include lie-flat seats most of the way according to Google flights. I'm finding it very hard to confirm this using AA's seatmap but my research in seatguru seems to confirm that the planes we would be on are some kind of international configuration. Below is the list of flights. Any help appreciated, including best method of figuring this out. Is my list below correct?

4/12 SFO-DFW AA 2298 8:08 am lie flat
4/12 DFW-MCO AA 2288 3:00 pm regular first seat
4/18 MCO-DFW AA 1218 1:56 pm lie flat
4/18 DFW-SFO AA 2252 4:30 pm lie flat
So yes, as of right now that list is accurate. Flights 2298, 1218, and 2252 are all international 757 aircraft while 2288 is a domestic 737. That's pretty solid equipment (with the exception of the 737) for SFO-MCO-SFO via DFW. Much better than most of the domestic stuff you'll find out there.

The only issue though, is being that your flight is so far away, I'd be concerned about equipment changes occurring before you actually fly. Some of those 757s could get switched for 737s or even worse, A321s before you ever actually fly.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Thank you! I'm going to hedge my bets and take the UA nonstop outbound using my UA miles (which I really should burn to be prudent) and the AA flights on the return. The AA times are the most convenient, and the price is the lowest among other carriers for first, so the flat seats will be a (huge) bonus if they materialize.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sfolawyer
Thank you! I'm going to hedge my bets and take the UA nonstop outbound using my UA miles (which I really should burn to be prudent) and the AA flights on the return. The AA times are the most convenient, and the price is the lowest among other carriers for first, so the flat seats will be a (huge) bonus if they materialize.
Makes sense. You should be able to get the UA 787 from SFO on the outbound if you wanted to go via IAH. Keep in mind that these AA 757 seats are actually angle-flat, not full flat. At least not yet.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I'll echo previous warnings that it's highly likely that a schedule change will happen between now and April that could see this entire trip jumbled and jostled.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Keep in mind that these AA 757 seats are actually angle-flat, not full flat. At least not yet.
Erg, well, they are fully flat, but not parallel to the floor... but I think everyone gets the idea. I don't want to hijack this thread with this discussion, just wanted to point out that point so sfolawyer knows exactly what to expect.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Makes sense. You should be able to get the UA 787 from SFO on the outbound if you wanted to go via IAH. Keep in mind that these AA 757 seats are actually angle-flat, not full flat. At least not yet.
Unless you're subbed to N183AN. But that's very doubtful.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...usiness-class/

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N183AN
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:26 pm

AA62 MIA -> CDG: Which plane is it?

I often have an issue where I can lookup the flight on seatguru, and it is clear what model of plane it is, but there are often several 'sub-models'. On AA62, looking at seatguru it seems to be the 'V3' (https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am..._777-200_C.php) based on a comment someone left. (If someone knows otherwise let me know)

I would guess this is a common problem people deal with. I read something about this on a wiki (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...gage-faqs.html) that suggests that the best way to determine the submodel is to begin the purchase process up to the seat selection page- any quicker methods?

Thanks

EDIT:
I'd also be curious about which plane Air France uses for its MIA -> CDG (AF99). Hoping it's this one
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ai...r_Class_V2.php
though the angle-flat seats probably aren't that bad (never flown one) so it probably doesn't matter much.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Seatguru is a horrible way of determining configurations.

Just look up the flight's seatmap here, then compare the configuration you see there with the configurations on Seatguru.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.