Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by elperro
I think it's more likely that they are "walking it back" because the person who came up with it never flies coach (like some director or VP in the marketing department) and doesn't understand the logistics of doing it. It's the kind of thing that seems like a good idea then you try to implement it and it's a disaster.
Strange it would be so difficult for AA but not Delta. An occasional complaint regarding getting booted out of Comfort+ but no real problems to speak of.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
It is not that hard - they have the system to id CK, EXP, non-rev, etc, just add MCE paid.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:42 pm

There were claims in this thread that MCE free drinks would begin April 1st. Has anyone here ordered a drink in MCE this week?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by cova
It is not that hard - they have the system to id CK, EXP, non-rev, etc, just add MCE paid.
Did I miss something, my thought was if you were in MCE, there was no check, didn't realize they were going to try to identify paid vs not paid MCE...
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I don't recall any press release, rather per the 1st post of this thread, it was an internal memo, but no actual copy was provided.. Not saying it's not going to happen, the marked MCE bins did, but I guess we'll just have to wait.
Sorry my memory was foggy, but it was covered on a popular travel blog and spoken about at an AA Media event, and I recall seeing specific screenshots of official AA material explaining it. Definitely not a press release, I sent that in a hurry, but I've definitely had two AA Flight Attendants confirm it's coming at some point, but I've had more AA FAs have absolutely no clue, so who knows....
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BrianV
Did I miss something, my thought was if you were in MCE, there was no check, didn't realize they were going to try to identify paid vs not paid MCE...
I don't think that they would check MCE paid either, but rather MCE assigned seats for that flight. It would be easy enough to see if someone had claimed a seat in MCE that wasn't assigned to them and ask to see their boarding pass.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I don't think that they would check MCE paid either, but rather MCE assigned seats for that flight. It would be easy enough to see if someone had claimed a seat in MCE that wasn't assigned to them and ask to see their boarding pass.
I suspect they’d want to avoid manually checking. I bet they may do a sweep at the beginning of the flight to ensure people aren’t in unsold MCE seats and loosely enforce that throughout flight then just not bother with any checking during drink service. That’s how I’d design it to not slow down service.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

I suspect they’d want to avoid manually checking. I bet they may do a sweep at the beginning of the flight to ensure people aren’t in unsold MCE seats and loosely enforce that throughout flight then just not bother with any checking during drink service. That’s how I’d design it to not slow down service.
I guess I should of been clearer. If they look at their tablet and see someone sitting in a seat that is supposed to be empty, they might ask to see if there was a last minute "UG" from the gate to explain the pax in that seat.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:04 am

The original article(s) about this said coming “this spring.” So that could be any time up to the start of summer.

I don’t recall any specific date officially attached, just speculation.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:37 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by AAdamE
https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/aa-...-enhancements/

Here is the actual memo, plus TPG claims they spoke with an AA rep who confirmed these changes.
This all stems from an internal memo at the beginning of the year, but still not a single word from AA Marketing or a formal PR. I do see the placards in the bins. As of Friday 3/31, the F/A I spoke to - as he happily swiped my card for my drink - had absolutely no idea about the supposed changes afoot, so I don't think 4/1 is official at all. My guess is that the handheld units have to be updated so that they show whether or not someone gets comp'd drinks (as it shows for ExP's now). If someone decides to move into MCE after the door closes, the handheld device would show they didn't initially have the seat which may lead to an awkward conversation.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
The only reason I think this is going to happen at some point is the change they made to the 321 seat maps, changing the "unlimited legroom" seats (10F, 23A, 23F) from MCE to preferred. That doesn't make any sense unless they are worried about having a mixed row.

However, my opinion is the free drinks (IF they dont change their minds) will not start until much later this spring. A leaked memo / 3rd party blog article saying the changes will happen this spring does not hold much weight
kar don likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Don't if it only applies to paid MCE, but they could include both Paid (non-elite) and Elite (get it for free). Just color code on the hand hand seat map. Those in MCE (by aircraft being full) but otherwise not being eligible can be coded to not receive free drink. They would just get the normal green box in the seat map.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I asked my FAs on my flight last night and they haven't heard anything about it but one of them told me "you guys know about these things before we do, I only work here! I'll give it to you anyway, what can I get you?".
Doesn't hurt to ask I guess. But it certainly does not look official yet.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:38 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
More anecdotal evidence.... On a mainline LUS A319 flight today, no placards and the F/A's were a little vague about the new "upcoming" changes. One said they got an email about something happening in May, but wouldn't go into more detail. So, for now it appears to be a YMMV situation.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
This week I flew SFO<>ORD and the FA confirmed the free drinks hadn't yet gone into effect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.