Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'm Gold and got the email.

Since the free drinks had been previously announced, the main piece of new info was the loss of the Gold discount, and that only affects us Golds. And since EXPs got the free drink already, y'all are least affected by the news.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:49 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MarkY123
I'm surprised AA felt the need to reduce Gold elites' benefits.
I can't say I'm too surprised because it seems, in general these days, anything that one of the US-3 offers that is more generous than the other two ends up on the chopping block.

Both UA and DL only allow access to the extra legroom section for their 25k flyers 24 hours in advance, and do not offer a discount on purchasing it outright, so it was only a matter of time before AA aligned with them. (Where there is still a discrepancy... is that UA allows 50k flyers to pick EconPlus at booking, whereas DL only allows those flyers access to Comfort+ within 72 hours of departure.)
MarkY123 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold & Marriott Gold
My wife and I have been Gold for a decade. The most valuable perk to us was the 50% MCE discount. This is a big blow for someone who always books months in advance and wants to confirm MCE at booking time.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
no e-mail here
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dinger
My wife and I have been Gold for a decade. The most valuable perk to us was the 50% MCE discount. This is a big blow for someone who always books months in advance and wants to confirm MCE at booking time.
You and me both. I get most of the same/other perks with AAdvantage-affiliated credit card but the MCA at 50% was very important to me. I am really pissed. A free drink does not remotely make up for this in any way.
dinger likes this.

Last edited by monvoyage; Jun 5, 2018 at 2:54 pm
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:39 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Will the E190 single row of "MCE" (i.e. exit row) be entitled to these new "enhancements"?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:29 pm

Doesn't apply just curious, but those that can't pick a seat when making the reservation, and have to get it assigned at check in, are they going to be excluded from the MCE seats? These are the tickets at the low end of the price range typically, so giving away MCE because they need a seat doesn't sit well with the rest that can pick a seat, but can't get MCE until T-24, the same time the cheap tickets can check in and get a seat. Haven't seen anything about this, but traveling this week, the center seats in 2 rows both sides in MCE were filled with folks likely in group 8 or 9, they were the last few on the plane. The FA was guarding the bins though, kept 2 of them closed through boarding until someone reached the row and started looking for bin space, then voila, bins open and completely empty.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Hard to get very excited about this enhancement when it applies to a fleet of which half has MCE only in exit rows and bulkheads. And don't get me started on how a bulkhead somehow qualifies as "additional legroom." Hint: It doesn't.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
And if you’re disabled, like me, then you are really limited in your MCE choices.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
So I'm currently on a MSY-LAX flight, in MCE, and thought I'd see how they roll this out. Especially since it's an almost 4 hour flight, I was curious if they'd roll the drink cart out twice, let MCE folks order more than once, etc. I'm not a drinker, so I had to observe, versus test it myself. First person around me that ordered a drink, i saw her take payment from customer, it looked like there was some conversation about that, but I thought she was telling him that he wasn't original passenger of that seat. Fast forward to a few min ago when FA comes by to pick up some trash, and I decide to ask her about the change.

Me: So how are you guys handling the new free drinks policy in these seats? Is it just 1 drink? Are you verifying that the person was assigned to the seat?

FA: I actually have not heard of any change. I don't know what your referring no. I'll have to look into it.

Me: They just sent an email earlier, that it started today. So they didn't tell you guys?

FA: No. I'll have to check my email. Sorry if it did change, but I don't know about it. (Last part was said as if she meant sorry that I can't give you a free drink, because she was not aware of new policy.)

Me: I'm not a drinker, so it doesn't affect me. I was just curious.

FA: Ya, I'll have to check my email. I haven't checked it in awhile.

Wow. I don't know why, but I'm still amazed at the lack of communication when a policy like this changes, generally to a customer's benefit, at this airline.

I also now believe that the convo she had with that customer about paying, was actually about the drink supposed to be being free, but that she was just not aware of it. When I was questioning her, it seemed like I was not the only one who brought it up to her.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
no e-mail here
As an EXP not impacted by this policy not getting an email about it matters because....

Regards
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
As an EXP not impacted by this policy not getting an email about it matters because....

Regards
"cause we're kind of special, duh!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
i don’t care either way just reporting a fact
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by genotonda
What a sh** show. I can't believe there's not some system in place for FA's (and other work groups as applicable) to electronically acknowledge receipt and understanding of operational changes such a this so that management can ensure the employees have received the information and follow up on those who have not acknowledged.

I had a similar situation (kind of) -- I was in F recently and the FA was taking orders, had his manifest, and looked at me and said "Pro (I think is what he said) ... hmmm I've never seen that before. That must mean you're extra special". I just played dumb as I didn't think it was my place to train the FA on the new elite level that his company introduced about a year prior. He must also not read his email very often

Does anyone have any insight on this?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by genotonda
Ha! This reminds me of when they started serving Ranger IPA on board. I asked for one in MCE a couple weeks after they started carrying it. It was about a 1 minute conversation of consternation with the FA until I literally showed her on the seat-back menu, then pointed to it in the drawer in the cart she was pushing.

"Oh. Wow. Didn't realize we had that."

To the FA's credit, though... there have been SO many changes in the past 2 years. I'm sure this creates some level of increased apathy to paying attention. Especially when the changes will require more work from the FA's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.