Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Not sure why the rush or worry over ticketing? If the travel date is far ahead it's NOT uncommon to wait up to a week to be ticketed.
People seem to be conflating 5 day holds being released early with ticketing taking a few days.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
They used to be available, but US to AUH in J hasn't been available in advance (at the normal 11-month mark) for the last couple of months. I don't think anyone knows why. It kind of makes "how to book" discussions pointless for US residents flying J...there is no way to book an outbound if the awards aren't released. However, awards for the return are available.
Thanks. Hopefully they open things up over the next few months, but I agree, it does make it difficult to discuss how to book them if they're not bookable at all!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Have 2 questions which I can't seem to find the answers to that would be greatly appreciated if someone knew the answer!

- on an AUH-JFK award, is connecting onto an AA partner (TAM) to YYZ allowed on the same award? Connecting on AA is, but I was told not TAM.
- is there some form of arrivals lounge option on the EY F ticket into JFK? It's a long while to pass the time in the JFK terminal.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by thechosenuno
When I originally ticketed an AUH-JFK F award, there was an issue with my being charged in AUD which prevented the ticket from being issued. It took a few calls, but a good agent finally called the rate desk, found out how much it would be in USD, and pushed it through. I changed the date, and it again wouldn't ticket. I got another good agent who called the rate desk, got the right amount to charge me, and it went through. If you are having the issue, I'd suggest asking them to call the rate desk and see if there's an issue with it beign priced in AUD and not USD.
I'm a little confused by your post. If you call the Australian AA office, they ticket in AUD. I just got my credit card statement, and the charge is in AUD and converted to USD. If it's ticketed by US AA it will be in USD.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
- on an AUH-JFK award, is connecting onto an AA partner (TAM) to YYZ allowed on the same award? Connecting on AA is, but I was told not TAM.
I had a lot of problems pairing a BA award leg JFK-LHR with a EY LHR-AUH leg. The reason is because EY is only an AA partner, not a member of OneWorld.

In the end the agent could do it manually (I had to HUACA a couple of times and find an agent knowledgeable enough), but I realized that any checked luggage would not be checked through (EY does not partner with BA), so I scrapped the itinerary (ended up finding JFK-AUH A380 space instead!).
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
I'm a little confused by your post. If you call the Australian AA office, they ticket in AUD. I just got my credit card statement, and the charge is in AUD and converted to USD. If it's ticketed by US AA it will be in USD.
I used the Australian AA desk to change my J seats to F, and the refund and re-deduction of taxes were both in USD, and I didn't specify currency. Maybe you should specify currency just in case if it's a new ticket though?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:13 pm

Was your original ticket before the change ticketed in the US? Then the refund in USD makes senSe, and the difficulty of the Australian ticket desk also makes sense. I don't believe you can specify the currency for ticketing, it will be based on the location where the ticket is issued
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by frisbfreek
I had a lot of problems pairing a BA award leg JFK-LHR with a EY LHR-AUH leg. The reason is because EY is only an AA partner, not a member of OneWorld.

In the end the agent could do it manually (I had to HUACA a couple of times and find an agent knowledgeable enough), but I realized that any checked luggage would not be checked through (EY does not partner with BA), so I scrapped the itinerary (ended up finding JFK-AUH A380 space instead!).
EY and BA have an interline agreement so checking bags through on that itinerary shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Really?? Are you claiming that Etihad doesn't have a baggage interline agreement with BA? It would seem pretty surprising that two major IATA airlines wouldn't interline bags for an itinerary on one ticket (I know some carriers won't when two tickets are involved, but that's a different story).

Edit: txflyer77 beat me to it by seconds! lol
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
For those of you with the Citi AA card, are you all getting the 10% discount in miles for award redemptions on EY?
Yes
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Really?? Are you claiming that Etihad doesn't have a baggage interline agreement with BA? It would seem pretty surprising that two major IATA airlines wouldn't interline bags for an itinerary on one ticket (I know some carriers won't when two tickets are involved, but that's a different story).

Edit: txflyer77 beat me to it by seconds! lol
Hmm wasn't aware of the interline agreement, and the AA agent said it wouldn't connect as well (which I guess was wrong information). Scratch what I said then!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Was your original ticket before the change ticketed in the US? Then the refund in USD makes senSe, and the difficulty of the Australian ticket desk also makes sense. I don't believe you can specify the currency for ticketing, it will be based on the location where the ticket is issued
Yes, the original J ticket was ticketed by a US agent.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:30 pm

That's not true. If on a single ticket BA will accept and check through baggage onto EY.

Also no amount of HUACA will achieve what the OP is asking as EY don't have an AUH-YYZ fare which permits JFK-YYZ routing on JJ.

/VIA THE ATLANTIC/
DOM ROUTE VALIDATION APPLIES WITHIN ORIG/DEST COUNTRIES
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. AUH-9W/EY-YTO
2. AUH-BRU/DUB-EY-YTO
3. AUH-CHI/NYC-AA/EY-YTO
4. AUH-DXB-AUH-9W/EY-YTO
5. AUH-DXB-AUH-BRU/DUB-EY-YTO
6. AUH-DXB-AUH-CHI/NYC-AA/EY-YTO
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Also no amount of HUACA will achieve what the OP is asking as EY don't have an AUH-YYZ fare which permits JFK-YYZ routing on JJ.
I know that the rule is that the "major carrier" must publish a fare between the two cities, but is the requirement also that any ticketed routing follow the routing on that fare? (I'm not necessarily claiming that this isn't also true - it just is more restrictive than I've ever seen mentioned before in any of the blogs).

(Also - thanks for letting me know this if it is indeed true. I have ticketed AUH - JFK / LGA - YYZ, and was going to keep checking for the JFK-YYZ TAM to show availability, but if I now know that it's not a valid routing I won't bother trying. (And the JFK-YYZ AA flight NEVER seems to have points availability!!))
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
I know that the rule is that the "major carrier" must publish a fare between the two cities, but is the requirement also that any ticketed routing follow the routing on that fare? (I'm not necessarily claiming that this isn't also true - it just is more restrictive than I've ever seen mentioned before in any of the blogs).

(Also - thanks for letting me know this if it is indeed true. I have ticketed AUH - JFK / LGA - YYZ, and was going to keep checking for the JFK-YYZ TAM to show availability, but if I now know that it's not a valid routing I won't bother trying. (And the JFK-YYZ AA flight NEVER seems to have points availability!!))
The issue with most bloggers is that they tend to oversell to the rookies but fall short on the details. This thread alone has far more information than any blog thanks to the collective knowledge and experience shared.

If you prefer JJ, I'd keep trying checking but use Avios as a separate redemption. EY will check through onto JJ from AUH even on separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.