Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:30 pm
  #76  
Moderator: American AAdvantage
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,946
Exclamation

There is no need for "snarkastic" or unfriendly, unwelcoming posts. A number have been summarily deleted. Persistence is likely to earn some vacation from Flyertalk, in accordance with the Rules and disciplinary practices.

/Moderator
JDiver is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:13 am
  #77  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: AMS
Programs: KLM PLAT, Qatar PLAT, AA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 184
Can I trust the Hold?

Hey guys,

Funny thing happened to me yesterday. I had originally placed on hold 3 first class seats on the AUH-JFK route for early August timeframe. This was done via the Australian call center and therefore the hold fell off at midnight Australian time. I called back last night (after the hold was off) and asked them to create a new hold for me. Which they did. The funny thing is that the new hold has an expiration of Feb 17th!?!? I checked on my advantage account and it also shows Feb 17th. Can I trust this? Or should I rush to ticket sometime this week? To be honest it would be great if I could get such a long hold (to sort out the other legs I need to book separately).

What do you guys think?

BTW In the last 2 weeks I have been able to book 4 other tickets (ticketed) in first or biz all via the Australian call center without any problems. I just spent a lot of time on Etihad website looking for the open guest first seats in advance!
bison1847 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:19 am
  #78  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: AMS
Programs: KLM PLAT, Qatar PLAT, AA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 184
DUS to BOM routing on the a380

Hello,


One last question do you guys know if there is a DUS to BOM routing (on the a380 for the last leg) available on Etihad using AA miles? I can see the DUS to AUH and the AUH to BOM separately but when I search togather nothing comes back with a380 (the jetihad and 777 are the only ones showing). Al of the seats available are in Biz.

BTW I know there is only the 787 between Dus and AUH but I'm more interested in the AUH to DUS which is running the A380 this summer.

What do you think? Of course if I can get the a380 that is my preference (both for the nicer ride and as the schedule is better)
bison1847 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:16 am
  #79  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,568
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Not sure why the rush or worry over ticketing? If the travel date is far ahead it's NOT uncommon to wait up to a week to be ticketed.
Datapoint, all time EST.

12/29, afternoon, bought miles, they posted immediately.
12/29, evening - called Australia, booked August travel, two separate reservations (short haul + A380). Didn't want to nest as single PNR.
1/3, early morn - miles withdrawn from account.
1/4, early morn - ticketed, successfully selected seat assignments.

Now, the morn of 12/30 I booked another A380 flight, same travel date. With luck, it will ticket within the next 24 hours.
jamienbaker is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:09 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KYE
Posts: 4,156
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Datapoint, all time EST.

12/29, afternoon, bought miles, they posted immediately.
12/29, evening - called Australia, booked August travel, two separate reservations (short haul + A380). Didn't want to nest as single PNR.
1/3, early morn - miles withdrawn from account.
1/4, early morn - ticketed, successfully selected seat assignments.

Now, the morn of 12/30 I booked another A380 flight, same travel date. With luck, it will ticket within the next 24 hours.
Some of us have redeemed on EY since AA partnered up with them. I have ticketed in the dozens over the years, the longest I've waited was about 3 weeks (due to an agent messing up the calculation), the shortest on the spot over the phone. Never had a booking cancelled and that's calling just before it was due to expire.

Once it's gone into the ticketing queue it's there, it won't be cancelled.

Others have experienced a booking changed to other flights or adjusted out of the blue, while I don't disbelieve them, I find it hard to believe because AA send a notification email of any change asking the passenger to call back. If no action is taken within a set time, AA apply the best change.
edy4eva is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:50 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: YVR
Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Posts: 963
Originally Posted by lowside67
I put an itinerary on hold yesterday via Australia after US could not see it.

Today I called US to confirm/book and they were able to do so and take my credit card no problem.

It has not yet ticketed, though I called Etihad and manually had them add my seat requests.

Mark
Originally Posted by lowside67
I am in exactly the same boat... reserved on 12/29, paid and booked on 12/30, still showing "On Request" for March travel.

I believe that the danger zone for Etihad to drop the reso is during AA's 5-day hold which is before paying and booking.

I phoned Australia after 24 hours yesterday and they told me minimum 72 hours. I will be monitoring and calling back tomorrow.

Mark
To summarize:
12/29 Reserved EY routing via Australia Call Centre
12/30 Booked/Paid via US Call Centre
01/01 Called US Call Centre - told nobody was ticketing over the weekend, it would be done Monday
01/04 Automatically ticketed and email received - all good!

I am flying BOM-AUH (Jetihad), AUH-JFK (EY A380), JFK-YVR (CX 77W) all in First and my total cost was $66.20 AUD in taxes/fees and $25.00 USD for what I assume is the telephone booking fee.

Mark
lowside67 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:51 am
  #82  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: YVR
Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Posts: 963
Originally Posted by bison1847
Hey guys,

Funny thing happened to me yesterday. I had originally placed on hold 3 first class seats on the AUH-JFK route for early August timeframe. This was done via the Australian call center and therefore the hold fell off at midnight Australian time. I called back last night (after the hold was off) and asked them to create a new hold for me. Which they did. The funny thing is that the new hold has an expiration of Feb 17th!?!? I checked on my advantage account and it also shows Feb 17th. Can I trust this? Or should I rush to ticket sometime this week? To be honest it would be great if I could get such a long hold (to sort out the other legs I need to book separately).

What do you guys think?

BTW In the last 2 weeks I have been able to book 4 other tickets (ticketed) in first or biz all via the Australian call center without any problems. I just spent a lot of time on Etihad website looking for the open guest first seats in advance!
You should not trust this - AA's hold may expire on Feb 17th but it has been reported that Etihad does not honour even a 5 day hold and may release your seats as soon as 3 days after reserving, so I suspect it is unlikely they will hold them for 6+ weeks.

Mark
lowside67 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:00 am
  #83  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,361
Booked: 12/30
Miles deducted: 12/31
Ticketed: 1/4

AUH-JFK-MIA-DEN in F with AUH-JFK on the A380. Hoping a better connection opens up through CLT or ORD closer in.

My first hold was for a different date and I was actually able to hold AUH-JFK-LAX-DEN with JFK-LAX on FlAAgship, a little surprised that was a permissible routing, but EY's fare on AUH-DEN has a rather generous MPM.

Last edited by txflyer77; Jan 4, 2016 at 9:53 am
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:51 am
  #84  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: CVG or DAY
Posts: 159
Possibly a simple question:

OK, so my preferred route would be Etihad IST-AUH-HKG business class. However, AA does not allow that stop in AUH on an Etihad award (unless I am misreading the award rules). Options? Can I book as 2 awards IST-AUH, then AUH-HKG, 30K points each (as opposed to 52.5K from Europe to Asia 2) in business and have them tied together somehow so my bags will check to final destination, or will that not be allowed to happen and I will have to retrieve and re-check bags (and maybe I have to do that anyway, never been to AUH). I still see Qatar availability but I much prefer the times of the Etihad flights. And as usual, the BA flights are there. I see no flights with first class available and Etihad business also seems the best business class option.
niehaubs is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:22 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: UA
Posts: 312
Originally Posted by niehaubs
Possibly a simple question:

OK, so my preferred route would be Etihad IST-AUH-HKG business class. However, AA does not allow that stop in AUH on an Etihad award (unless I am misreading the award rules). Options? Can I book as 2 awards IST-AUH, then AUH-HKG, 30K points each (as opposed to 52.5K from Europe to Asia 2) in business and have them tied together somehow so my bags will check to final destination, or will that not be allowed to happen and I will have to retrieve and re-check bags (and maybe I have to do that anyway, never been to AUH). I still see Qatar availability but I much prefer the times of the Etihad flights. And as usual, the BA flights are there. I see no flights with first class available and Etihad business also seems the best business class option.
You can book this trip as a single itinerary. It just may cost you the price of the 2 awards.
pbartp is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:34 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,633
Originally Posted by lowside67
You should not trust this - AA's hold may expire on Feb 17th but it has been reported that Etihad does not honour even a 5 day hold and may release your seats as soon as 3 days after reserving, so I suspect it is unlikely they will hold them for 6+ weeks.

Mark
You have confused two different things. See, e.g. post 1122 in the other thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25955559-post1122.html
SeeBuyFly is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:45 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 6,026
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Booked: 12/30
Miles deducted: 12/31
Ticketed: 12/4

...
Impressive... you got it ticketed weeks before you booked it!
Global321 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:46 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: YVR
Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Posts: 963
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
You have confused two different things. See, e.g. post 1122 in the other thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25955559-post1122.html
I am aware that once they are booked then they will not be returned to inventory even if it took 2 weeks to ticket.

Howeve, he said in his post he has held the 3 seats, after which they expired, so re-held them again. Since he has not booked them, only put them on hold, I do not believe they will stay out of inventory permanently until ticketing.

Mark
lowside67 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:54 am
  #89  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,361
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Impressive... you got it ticketed weeks before you booked it!
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:03 am
  #90  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,568
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Datapoint, all time EST.

12/29, afternoon, bought miles, they posted immediately.
12/29, evening - called Australia, booked August travel, two separate reservations (short haul + A380). Didn't want to nest as single PNR.
1/3, early morn - miles withdrawn from account.
1/4, early morn - ticketed, successfully selected seat assignments.

Now, the morn of 12/30 I booked another A380 flight, same travel date. With luck, it will ticket within the next 24 hours.
Another datapoint: I just called about the second res booked on 12/29, which hasn't ticketed. While reserved in my son's name, the AU agent somehow populated the PNR with my KTN and FF #s, so it ended up getting stuck in the queue. I called the US, had them update the KTN and re-populate with my son's FF number. (I also had them cross-reference with my PNR since son is a minor and sometimes partner reservations kick back what appears to be unaccompanied minors).

After updating with the US, flight still shows as F6 which would indicate we're the first three Apartment bookings. I've set up an Expertflyer alert, if it ever goes above F6 then I know we'll have a big problem.
jamienbaker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.