Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules

Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolcoil
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2018)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
    • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
      • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
        • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.

Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)
=================end mod note===================

The kduarte Lounge Access tool page is unavailable

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America inc,Using destinations other than MEX or the Caribbean. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PlatPro or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

More changes:

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."
Important Note: Though this announcement excluded Northern South America and Central America, those travelling to or from those destinations in J/F or whom hold OWE or OWS, including AA elites, do indeed have access to the Flagship Lounge. See the link below for Flagship Lounge access rules for details.

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on Americans 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● Last year's thread:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules

Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Platinum
FL access before TATL connection?

I just booked a one-way AA award ticket from ORD to MAD. Routing is ORD-LGA in F, then a 4 hour layover connecting to JFK-MAD in J.

I'm pretty sure I will get FL access in JFK. Will I also get FL access in ORD?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
AFAIK, no lounge access in either airport, unfortunately. TN isn’t one world, and TN often denies access to their contract lounge if you’re on an AA or QF marketed flight. Try at LAX, but with low expectations.
Does the fact that @bdmarc is on TN invalidate an "international" itinerary?

I would have thought a Sapphire flying a QF codeshare on AA metal on such an itinerary whould get lounge access at MIA (including F/L).

It seems strange PAX in Business class on QF/AA*TN would not access to the lounge TN uses at LAX purely on a class of service basis. (Not that the "International Lounge" is much 'chop'.)

Last edited by serfty; Oct 14, 2018 at 8:37 pm
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, as an AA PLT (OWS) you always have lounge access on eligible international itineraries regardless of your class of service.

At LAX, you can use either the AA Flagship Lounge in T4 or the oneworld Business lounge in TBIT. At HND, I see no reason to stay from the JL business lounge.
Follow up question. Is this for just the PLT or PLT + guest (who is GLD flying on the same itinerary)?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by thedeeg

Follow up question. Is this for just the PLT or PLT + guest (who is GLD flying on the same itinerary)?
Per the oneworld lounge locator and access tool linked to in the Wikipost:

Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:19 pm

Per the oneworld lounge locator and access tool linked to in the Wikipost:
Thank you.

i thought id Read that, and then looking again, couldnt find it.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by johnslater
I just booked a one-way AA award ticket from ORD to MAD. Routing is ORD-LGA in F, then a 4 hour layover connecting to JFK-MAD in J.

I'm pretty sure I will get FL access in JFK. Will I also get FL access in ORD?
Yes to both.
JDiver and johnslater like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by serfty

I would have thought a Sapphire flying a QF codeshare on AA metal on such an itinerary whould get lounge access at MIA (including F/L).

It seems strange PAX in Business class on QF/AA*TN would not access to the lounge TN uses at LAX purely on a class of service basis. (Not that the "International Lounge" is much 'chop'.)
Yep, TN isn't oneworld so the oneworld lounge access rules don't apply (i.e no access at MIA). That would be like me flying say RDU-JFK on AA, connecting to DL JFK-LHR, and trying to use the AC at RDU because I'm flying 'international', ain't gonna happen .
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:45 am

It doesn’t generally work that way. The qualifying flight must be marketed and operated by a oneworld airline, so that excludes Air Tahiti Nui. And TN are very tight about lounge access, even acting quite haughty when denying access. Not to say that one might possibly get a TN employee with a better attitude - TN employees hand out favors and benefits like exit row seats, etc. to their friends all the time. Maybe a “Ia ora na, maita’i oe?” (Hello, how are you? pronounced eeyah-ohrahna, maitai - like the drink - oheh) and a smile will loosen someone up, because some will react positively automatically at such a politeness. Or, not.

I’ve personally flown AA codeshare on TN in Business and my Access was 1) as an Admirals Club member, to the Admirals Club, and 2) as a Priority Pass cardholder, to the Priority Pass Lounge. In PPT, that includes the TN International lounge:

Papeete Airport at Faa’a, Terminal 1, Airside, International Boarding Area, Upper Level. It does accept Priority Pass, though I’ve been told by TN personnel at checkin that it does not and I was ineligible because I was flying an AA marketed flight. I went in with my PP and used the shower. But, the lounge only opens 150 minutes prior to TN flight departure, and doesn’t open for LA or HA flights.

I hope someone with customer orientation will some day reverse this poor TN lounge access policy. Perhaps the OP will return to let us know that with the introduction of the Dreamliner TN has changed direction on this issue.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 15, 2018 at 7:17 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It doesnt generally work that way. The qualifying flight must be marketed and operated by a oneworld airline, so that excludes Air Tahiti Nui. ...
OK, it's an AAdvantage thing, other oneworld elites would have no issue (at least at MIA).

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp

Interestingly, that page does not list international flights to Pacific Islands. It's a bit moot as AA does not fly to any.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:11 pm

OK, it's an AAdvantage thing, other oneworld elites would have no issue (at least at MIA).

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp

Interestingly, that page does not list international flights to Pacific Islands. It's a bit moot as AA does not fly to any.
The member is one world Sapphire, derived from his lifetime AA AAdvantage Platinum status. Therefore, no MIA Access.

From the page you linked to:

Includes customers traveling in First or Business on a qualifying international or transcontinental flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline.*
MIA-LAX is not qualifying.

AA operated by TN is not qualifying.

The oneworld lounge access page stipulates

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
Air Tahiti Nui is not a oneworld member airline.

And yes, you are correct as the the oneworld lounge access page further stipulates about the member’s AAdvantage derived Sapphire status:

The following exceptions apply:

American Airlines and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.

American Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 15, 2018 at 7:20 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
MIA-LAX is not qualifying.
Now I'm curious, do you know when MIA-LAX stopped qualifying for AC/Flagship access? I remember it previously doing so, and a Wayback Machine archive from June 2017 indicates the same, but at some point AA seems to have made the change.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170616...rstandbusiness

Last edited by Beltway2A; Oct 15, 2018 at 7:26 pm Reason: I misspelled change
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Now I'm curious, do you know when MIA-LAX stopped qualifying for AC/Flagship access? I remember it previously doing so, and a Wayback Machine archive from June 2017 indicates the same, but at some point AA seems to have made the chance.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170616...rstandbusiness
The difference is at one time recently AA operated three class aircraft between MIA and LAX. Iirc, lounge access was withdrawn soon after the sector returned to two class service.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
The difference is at one time recently AA operated three class aircraft between MIA and LAX. Iirc, lounge access was withdrawn soon after the sector returned to two class service.
That would do it, thanks. I actually hadn't realized AA ended three class service on the route, which just shows how often I'm in MIA. I appreciate the insight.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I am flying into ORD in Iberia Business (presume T5) and then flying out later that day in American First to LAX from Terminal 3. Will I be able to access Admirals Club in T3 with the Iberia business class boarding pass? The tickets were booked separately and the Iberia flight booked directly through Iberia. I do not have status.

I have a long 8 hour laylower. If Admirals Club is not possible, can I use the T5 BA lounge on arrival/connecting?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Enigma368
I am flying into ORD in Iberia Business (presume T5) and then flying out later that day in American First to LAX from Terminal 3. Will I be able to access Admirals Club in T3 with the Iberia business class boarding pass? The tickets were booked separately and the Iberia flight booked directly through Iberia. I do not have status.

I have a long 8 hour laylower. If Admirals Club is not possible, can I use the T5 BA lounge on arrival/connecting?
If the ORD-LAX is under five hours (presuming it is) then it falls within the one world connecting lounge access rules. Youll have access to any available oneworld lounge at the connecting point. Separate tickets shouldnt be an issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.