Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Compensation?
Daughter was booked, ticketed and check in on line for this morning’s AA flight MAD – JFK.

This was the return leg of an AA itinerary with ticket purchased (money, not miles, not Avios, not points) via Finnair.

She was re-booked on tomorrow’s flight and told she could not be assigned a seat or issued a boarding pass until she arrives at the MAD airport tomorrow. She was not offered compensation or hotel.

I believe that under EU regulations she is in fact entitled to compensation, but how much,and how to get it?
Was the MAD-JFK flight cancelled? Or what was the reason for this?

Depending on the reason and situation you might certainly have a case for some compensation, I'd look at the below thread depending on what happened as more details are needed.

GUIDE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 “EU” complaints, compensation and AA
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Compensation?
Daughter was booked, ticketed and check in on line for this morning’s AA flight MAD – JFK.

This was the return leg of an AA itinerary with ticket purchased (money, not miles, not Avios, not points) via Finnair.

She was re-booked on tomorrow’s flight and told she could not be assigned a seat or issued a boarding pass until she arrives at the MAD airport tomorrow. She was not offered compensation or hotel.

I believe that under EU regulations she is in fact entitled to compensation, but how much,and how to get it?
Since it seems that the flight was cancelled, it would appear that the reason for the cancellation will determine whether your daughter is entitled to "compensation." But apart from compensation, I think that carriers departing from the E.U. also owe their passengers a "duty of care" (to include meals and lodging) when a flight is cancelled or significantly delayed -- even for reasons that would not trigger "compensation." I'd suggest investigating the "duty of care" angle.

Was the airline ticket charged to a credit card that offers "trip delay" coverage?

Edited to add: see here for duty-of-care rights:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Res...cancellations/

Had your daughter requested a same-day rerouting on another carrier?

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 4, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:36 am

Question Paid Upgrade to First after paid main cabin seat selections

I have a flight res next week, all four legs of which I selected paid seats (MCE & pref). I've seen that upgrade pricing to 1st on this trip is now being offered for not much more than the sum of my seat selections.

If I decided to pay to upgrade to 1st before or on the day of travel, does AA credit the cost for my seat selections since I obviously won't be occupying those?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by sddjd
I have a flight res next week, all four legs of which I selected paid seats (MCE & pref). I've seen that upgrade pricing to 1st on this trip is now being offered for not much more than the sum of my seat selections.

If I decided to pay to upgrade to 1st before or on the day of travel, does AA credit the cost for my seat selections since I obviously won't be occupying those?
Yes, by upgrading to First or business AA will automatically refund your seat fees. I think they will still charge the difference and give you a refund separately though.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:02 pm

Thanks MathMusic!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: IC Amb, Marriott Silver, KF Silver, MPC Silver
Can I just say that I was about to post about lounge access but when I reviewed the FAQs helpfully created, I had no more doubt in my mind about my lounge access queries. Many thanks guys. Keep up the amazing work.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:04 am

I am hoping the experts here can help with this question Looking at booking first class for Hawaii from CMH next October. When I look at the award calendar, I see business/first and first. Business/first is 67.5K miles each way. I see this statement under business/first: Valid for Business/First on flights with two classes of service where applicable and Business class on all other flights.

Flight from CMH to DFW is on a 738 with first class and main cabin. DFW to HNL is on a 772 with first, premium economy and main cabin. So the newbie question. What is business? If I booked this (67.5K miles labeled business/first), what would I get in terms of seats? Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Stephplum
I am hoping the experts here can help with this question Looking at booking first class for Hawaii from CMH next October. When I look at the award calendar, I see business/first and first. Business/first is 67.5K miles each way. I see this statement under business/first: Valid for Business/First on flights with two classes of service where applicable and Business class on all other flights.

Flight from CMH to DFW is on a 738 with first class and main cabin. DFW to HNL is on a 772 with first, premium economy and main cabin. So the newbie question. What is business? If I booked this (67.5K miles labeled business/first), what would I get in terms of seats? Thanks.
Welcome to FT. A business/first award to Hawaii will put you in first class on both flights for CMH-DFW-HNL. The 738 on CMH-DFW will be typical domestic first class recliner seats in a 2x2 config, while the 772 on DFW-HNL will have full lie-flat, all aisle access seats in a 1x2x1 config. Same seats you would get if you were flying to Europe or Asia on a 772.

The "first" class award is for flights that operate a 3-class config with true First, Business, and Coach. So if you were flying say JFK-LAX-HNL and had to be in First class for JFK-LAX, you'd have to book a "first" class award (not business/first).

Keep in mind that the 67.5k business/first award to Hawaii is AAnytime, so I wouldn't be in an hurry to book that unless one of the flights is almost sold out.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:14 pm

Red face

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Welcome to FT. A business/first award to Hawaii will put you in first class on both flights for CMH-DFW-HNL. The 738 on CMH-DFW will be typical domestic first class recliner seats in a 2x2 config, while the 772 on DFW-HNL will have full lie-flat, all aisle access seats in a 1x2x1 config. Same seats you would get if you were flying to Europe or Asia on a 772.

The "first" class award is for flights that operate a 3-class config with true First, Business, and Coach. So if you were flying say JFK-LAX-HNL and had to be in First class for JFK-LAX, you'd have to book a "first" class award (not business/first).

Keep in mind that the 67.5k business/first award to Hawaii is AAnytime, so I wouldn't be in an hurry to book that unless one of the flights is almost sold out.
Thanks for the quick and NICE response. I was so glad to find this no flames thread for newbies! Been a lurker on here for years but this is my first post and the first flight leaving the continental states I have been looking at.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Stephplum
Thanks for the quick and NICE response. I was so glad to find this no flames thread for newbies! Been a lurker on here for years but this is my first post and the first flight leaving the continental states I have been looking at.
Welcome down from lurkerspace.

AA used to sell two class First as F, A, but recently related dimestic two class First as J, D, I, C. And of course, what AA sells as dimestic two class First automagically becomes Business Internationally. That all makes it a touch more confusing, but you’ll be up front, including in the 772.

There’s a thread that has a Wikipost with the fare codes, etc. Interpreting AA Fare Basis Codes (merged threads)
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:48 pm

I have never understood why US carriers do not call their standard, two class domestic premium cabin “business class” as that would be more in keeping with international airline standards. The term First Class, in my opinion, should refer only to a true three class F product on aircraft also offering business class, such as the three class 777 routes and the premium, three class transcontinental service.

Since many companies have a “no first class” travel policy, one would think business class would be the correct way to brand it.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 6, 2018 at 5:40 pm
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Quick question that I couldn't find a thread on after a brief search. If two people book a Y ticket on partner Iberia and one has AAdvantage Platinum Pro the other Gold will both share the top status for the journey? Does it make sense to book separately in any scenario to increase likelihood of one being given better treatment?

My hunch is they do share and it isn't worth separate reservations.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BLazarus22
Quick question that I couldn't find a thread on after a brief search. If two people book a Y ticket on partner Iberia and one has AAdvantage Platinum Pro the other Gold will both share the top status for the journey? Does it make sense to book separately in any scenario to increase likelihood of one being given better treatment?

The only status “sharing” would be what oneworld allows and those perks (guesting into lounges, priority boarding, etc.) don’t at all rely on sharing a single PNR. The single PNR would be useful in case of OSO / IROPS reaccommodation, but I think that’s all.
BLazarus22 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Originally Posted by BLazarus22

The only status “sharing” would be what oneworld allows and those perks (guesting into lounges, priority boarding, etc.) don’t at all rely on sharing a single PNR. The single PNR would be useful in case of OSO / IROPS reaccommodation, but I think that’s all.
Oneworld Status benefits here:---> https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-oneworld-tier-status
AA Plat Pro = OW Sapphire
AA gold = OW Ruby
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/ruby-privileges

Most useful OW Sapphire benefit is lounge access:---> https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access#tier
Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
OWRuby gets next to nothing, so no benefit to book separately.
JDiver and BLazarus22 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:26 pm

Got a schedule change on a DSM>PHL>PUJ and the reverse for October. Connection in PHL went down to 48 minutes, and the PUJ>PHL>DSM got switched to PUJ>CLT>DSM.

Im concerned about the connection in PHL, will 48 minutes be a safe amount of time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.