Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I have an AA-plated/AS-operated flight coming up and I'm trying to associate the flight with my Advantage account. When I login to my AAdvantage account and lookup the flight via record locator I get an error where the system is unable to locate flight details (Travel Information -> My Trips -> ...). When I put the (AA) record locator into aa.com via continue as a guest it shows up correctly.

Called in and the phone agent was similarly as confused as I am -- tried switching FF# from MileagePlan to AAdvantage and back, and it didn't seem to work for me while logged in.

Hypothetically speaking: to which IT deity should I sacrifice a goat in order to get the flight to show in the AAdvantage system?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:30 am

Just want to be sure I can't do this--I have AUS-PRG coming up same PNR/reservation number. I've got it coming back in J and I am in Y on the direct PHL-PRG flight which gets in the morning. In the absence of that becoming available there is J on United miles outbound with a morning arrival.

It isn't possible to cancel just the outbound leg on an AA award booked as one ticket, right?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Just want to be sure I can't do this--I have AUS-PRG coming up same PNR/reservation number. I've got it coming back in J and I am in Y on the direct PHL-PRG flight which gets in the morning. In the absence of that becoming available there is J on United miles outbound with a morning arrival.

It isn't possible to cancel just the outbound leg on an AA award booked as one ticket, right?
All AA awards are technically one-way, so you can definitely cancel the outbound portion of an award without affecting the return part (you'll have to pay the $150 fee though if not EXP).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:39 am

Really?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JDiver
Did you pay for interim status? Have you managed to convince someone at AA CS to give you Gold status for crossing that threshold? (It’s not Community n to have it granted, particularly now that interim status has been monetized.)

If you paid for the Platinum Challenge alone, you don’t have any status until after you cross your EQD and EQM thresholds, so until then EQM earned don’t count toward 500mile upgrades.
I didn't pay for status up front, just the challenge.
Here is my dashboard today... seems the 500 milers just posted fine from clearing the 25k EQM mark. (I had 0 EQM before the challenge)

EQMs: 27348
  • EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades 11,326
  • 500-mile upgrade balance 4
Last flight was 2 days ago. It seems the EQM to next upgrades counter lags behind the EQM counter by a few days, as well as the upgrades posting.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I didn't pay for status up front, just the challenge.
Here is my dashboard today... seems the 500 milers just posted fine from clearing the 25k EQM mark. (I had 0 EQM before the challenge)

EQMs: 27348
  • EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades 11,326
  • 500-mile upgrade balance 4
Last flight was 2 days ago. It seems the EQM to next upgrades counter lags behind the EQM counter by a few days, as well as the upgrades posting.
Cool! It looks like the e-upgrade odometer started running at 25,000 EQM when if you had been doing this without a Challenge you’d be Gold. That’s what in NOLA they call a “lagniappe” (strangely enough, from the Runasimi / Kechwa language of the Kechwa and Incas).

Dos your account show you as Gold as well?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Considering signing up to AA

Hey guys,

Just putting some feelers out here...

I typically travel long-haul on cheap J class tickets for work.

I have platinum status with AFKL

Senator with LH

Elite Plus with TK (This I will not continue and will let it disappear probably).

I can typically find most the flights I want using *A and ST airlines. However, sometimes OW are just cheaper and more convenient. More importantly, Etihad can sometimes do some good deals too! Being a typical FT nerd I cannot stand the thought of "losing miles" but not crediting it to a scheme I use.

So here I am thinking of signing up to AA, I have both a UK and German address if that helps. I have thought about BA but the fact that you can't credit Etihad flights to them does put a bit of a downer on them. Additionally...this will be my 3rd (or even 4th!) scheme i'll collect in and I want it to really be as much as catch all as possible but with still simple earn / burn rates.

So...someone give me some assistance on this? any concerns I should be wary of?

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Dos your account show you as Gold as well?
Account shows as Platinum since I had completed the challenge.
My impression all along was that I would get full credit for EQMs/EQDs during the challenge as per whatever earned status I have at the time (Member, Gold...). Once I met the challenge, I would gain Platinum and all the benefits of that level as if I had earned it the hard way. So when crossing 25k EQM I would get the eUpgrades and that is how it has turned out it appears. The counters were confusing me because they appeared out of sync which indeed they can be at times.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:38 am

I don't fly American very often, but just used orphan miles to fly back from Paris.

I was admonished getting ready to land by flight attendent, "sir you have to turn off your ipad...didn't you hear the announcement"... (no I didn't)

So, my question is does American really not allow tablets to be used from boarding to deboarding? (like Delta does)
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Live4Miles
I don't fly American very often, but just used orphan miles to fly back from Paris.

I was admonished getting ready to land by flight attendent, "sir you have to turn off your ipad...didn't you hear the announcement"... (no I didn't)

So, my question is does American really not allow tablets to be used from boarding to deboarding? (like Delta does)
“Getting ready to land” is not the same as “boarding or deboarding”. I’m confused by your question.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:29 am

“Getting ready to land” is not the same as “boarding or deboarding”. I’m confused by your question.
On Delta you can use your handheld devices (not laptops) from the time you walk on the plane to the time you walk off it.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:49 am

Is there anyway to figure out the AA seating system for the economy section?

I booked an econ flight a month out.
  • At booking there was 2 middle seats open at the back of the plane along with the preferred and MCE seats.
  • At check in I was assigned a middle seat in the preferred section. The only other option on the app was a middle seat in the exit row, literally just one seat open.
  • At the gate I asked for an aisle seat and the GA said there was one available in the back row since she had just assigned the other available ones.
  • I boarded and no one was next to me, same with a few other rows.

How is it that the App, the GA, and the actual seating map are all so different? Is this straight IT issues, seats not updating quickly enough or AA trying to game everyone into paying for MCE? Or a combination of both?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Is there anyway to figure out the AA seating system for the economy section?

I booked an econ flight a month out.
  • At booking there was 2 middle seats open at the back of the plane along with the preferred and MCE seats.
  • At check in I was assigned a middle seat in the preferred section. The only other option on the app was a middle seat in the exit row, literally just one seat open.
  • At the gate I asked for an aisle seat and the GA said there was one available in the back row since she had just assigned the other available ones.
  • I boarded and no one was next to me, same with a few other rows.

How is it that the App, the GA, and the actual seating map are all so different? Is this straight IT issues, seats not updating quickly enough or AA trying to game everyone into paying for MCE? Or a combination of both?
What AAdvantage status do you have?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:32 am

What AAdvantage status do you have?
Nothing, just bought a ticket.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Nothing, just bought a ticket.
Ah. AFAIK, AA has unfortunately monetized most seats with any desirability at all. But as I understand it, many seats will become available D-24,and others might become available as / if upgrades become available to those seeking to upgrade. (I’d book the best available to you now, unless you want to buy your way to improved seating, and look at seat availability at _D-24 or 23.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.