Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:01 am
Suspended

I have found AA and JL the best integrated in Asia though it is still far from perfect as they have different policies. I would call as on request can mean the award non revenue seats on tge flights you selected in the class you selected are awaiting the carrier to release them.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
I called and after being put on hold for almost an hour, the tickets are finally confirmed. The phone agent checked up on me every 15-20 minutes. She said she had to call her manager, who had to call some department, who had to call some liaison department.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bluegatorade
I called and after being put on hold for almost an hour, the tickets are finally confirmed. The phone agent checked up on me every 15-20 minutes. She said she had to call her manager, who had to call some department, who had to call some liaison department.
Thanks for reporting back. It was a pain, but you got an agent who stuck with the issue and that’s great. The Liaison is the person designated to solve these interairline issues, and is not infrequently the person who ultimately makes things happen (or occasionally not happen).
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:42 am
Suspended

Glad you got it sorted
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
Question: Does BA Silver get OW benefits on domestic basic economy?
Like 1st complimentary bag, Admirals Club access, and complimentary seat reservation on main cabin extra?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sch7458
Question: Does BA Silver get OW benefits on domestic basic economy?
Like 1st complimentary bag, Admirals Club access, and complimentary seat reservation on main cabin extra?
Please see AA basic economy fare with BA Silver.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks. So if I understand correctly: 1st bag comp and Admirals Club yes, but no main cabin extra, right?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
I'm looking to book a series of flights on AA/BA that originates in London. (LHR-ORD-SCL-ORD-SCL-FCO). I'm looking to book this in J. I'm also planning to get my wife a J-award for ORD-SCL-ORD on the same flight as me . Before I book I have two questions I'm hoping to answer. First, will I still have the 24 hour cancellation window even though the flight originates outside the U.S.? Second, would it likely matter which I book first, the award seat or the paid seat. I know that sometimes price/availability changes after the first ticket is booked. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by goldmarch
I'm looking to book a series of flights on AA/BA that originates in London. (LHR-ORD-SCL-ORD-SCL-FCO). I'm looking to book this in J. I'm also planning to get my wife a J-award for ORD-SCL-ORD on the same flight as me . Before I book I have two questions I'm hoping to answer. First, will I still have the 24 hour cancellation window even though the flight originates outside the U.S.? Second, would it likely matter which I book first, the award seat or the paid seat. I know that sometimes price/availability changes after the first ticket is booked. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Assuming that you're booking this through AA, then it doesn't matter AFAIK that your trip starts outside the US with regards to the 24 hr cancellation. If you're booking it through BA, you'll need to check their policy.

As to which to book first, by all means grab the award seat first. There's always a chance that the sale of one paid seat could cause the award inventory to go away. Of course when using AA miles you can always put the award flights on a free 5 day hold, then book the paid ticket, then go back and ticket the award flights.
JDiver, wrp96 and goldmarch like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Assuming that you're booking this through AA, then it doesn't matter AFAIK that your trip starts outside the US with regards to the 24 hr cancellation. If you're booking it through BA, you'll need to check their policy.

As to which to book first, by all means grab the award seat first. There's always a chance that the sale of one paid seat could cause the award inventory to go away. Of course when using AA miles you can always put the award flights on a free 5 day hold, then book the paid ticket, then go back and ticket the award flights.
24 hour hold applies to bookings outside US. Same applies to 5 days hold. All this is on AA website (either aa.com or american airlines.co.uk.) BA have very different rules and many more charges. Note that the extra fees that BA charge for all "free" awards will only apply to BA metal as AA have to collect those for BA as part of the JBA. Have fun. Santiago is an interesting city. If you get time, I recommend a trip out to the coast (Viña del Mar and Valparaiso).

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 3, 2018 at 3:18 am Reason: Correct spelling
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I'm going to be flying from RNO to LHR in around a year's time (16th September 2019) in Business class. I want to book reward flights via BA using Avios. Not too bothered about the route back but would prefer a single connection, not two and would prefer both sectors to be with AA.

I've been checking the AA site to look for availability.

At the moment I can see decent continental US availability from RNO to places like LAX and ORD but no AA availability for the TATL, it's usually returning BA flights.

Are AA TATL Award flights likely to become available? Is there any science to when? Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:25 pm

I've been designated travel coordinated for my girlfriend and her family. They have 3 traveling to Europe. They have acquired points through sign-up bonuses and plan to fly Economy there for 30k points (60k RT).

The question they/I have is can I change 1 of 3 to Business (57.5k points) after purchasing the economy for 30k?

I dont' want to get charged the $150 cancel/rebook fee but haven't found any info on a reward to reward upgrade

Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by marauders4
I've been designated travel coordinated for my girlfriend and her family. They have 3 traveling to Europe. They have acquired points through sign-up bonuses and plan to fly Economy there for 30k points (60k RT).

The question they/I have is can I change 1 of 3 to Business (57.5k points) after purchasing the economy for 30k?

I dont' want to get charged the $150 cancel/rebook fee but haven't found any info on a reward to reward upgrade

Thanks
Yep, there is no fee to change an existing award to a higher class of service.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by marauders4

Thanks
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yep, there is no fee to change an existing award to a higher class of service.
But you will have to get the one split off to a new PNR for the upgrade.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CloudGazer
I'm going to be flying from RNO to LHR in around a year's time (16th September 2019) in Business class. I want to book reward flights via BA using Avios. Not too bothered about the route back but would prefer a single connection, not two and would prefer both sectors to be with AA.

I've been checking the AA site to look for availability.

At the moment I can see decent continental US availability from RNO to places like LAX and ORD but no AA availability for the TATL, it's usually returning BA flights.

Are AA TATL Award flights likely to become available? Is there any science to when? Thanks!
If you want to know BA availability you should check with BA. AA and BA have a JBA however tgere are some non rev seats they do not pool for use by hugh level elites.

BA will also impose fees on all flights purchased with miles in addition to the UK departure tax and tge airport fees.

Since the JBA, AA has been pushing BA flughts though if you are determined some AA saver award do come up TATL.

There are many suggested reasons for this. One is that BA are still using their elderly fleet if 747’s to many US destinations along with A380’s to some key routes. This could result in excess capacity particularly in coach. Secondly, BA charge high fees for a fuel supplement which is payable when booked on BA or AA website however AA flights on AA website do not attract these fees. Thus the JBA makes more money if you are put onto a BA flight. Thirdly BA fly to mire US destinations such as Las Vegas, San Diego etc so they may have the shortest routing.in any case if you want to make a BA booking check with BA. Expertflyer will show you non rev seats if you take out a subscription.
CloudGazer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.