Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

“Your year in review” email from AA (21 Dec 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Your year in review” email from AA (21 Dec 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Great to know it's 3% between 187k and 193k EQM.
As I pointed out above, the number of times around the world is almost certainly not EQM based, but derived from actual flight miles. Which means that your % position does not relate to where you sit in the upgrade stakes at all - an EXP who bought F and J fares and earned 3* EQM would have lots of EQM and lots of EQDs, but be at a low percentage position amongst EXPs in relation to number of miles flown. In reverse someone who bought lots of cheap economy fares could have flown many, many more miles (and have a high ranking in % of EXPs by miles flown) but have a relatively low EQM and EQD score.

For example, @Stripe posted earlier about having only flown 2* round the world but being EXP since October. Twice around the world is only about 50000 miles, so to be EXP one must assume that either all his (or her) flying was in Business or First or a good share of it was on F and J tickets, or it was all on short flights and EXP was earned on segments. Given that (s)he also had 25 upgrades, I would guess (s)he is flying short flights mainly, which will add up in EQDs fairly quickly. So, Stripe is way down the list of EXPs in terms of miles flown (lucky him / her) but possibly way up there in EQD rankings.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Anyone out there that hasn't received it yet? I haven't. I feel slighted.
I haven't, but I've only flown one paid r/t on AA this year. Devals have consequences.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA CK 10+MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
1. 382 hours in the sky
2. 8.5x around the world
3. 26 destinations
4. London

Finished the year with 403,562 EQMs from over 200K air miles.

It is about 24k miles around the world, and about 478k miles round-trip to the moon.......fun to see how many of each from the totals too.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
As I pointed out above, the number of times around the world is almost certainly not EQM based, but derived from actual flight miles. Which means that your % position does not relate to where you sit in the upgrade stakes at all - an EXP who bought F and J fares and earned 3* EQM would have lots of EQM and lots of EQDs, but be at a low percentage position amongst EXPs in relation to number of miles flown. In reverse someone who bought lots of cheap economy fares could have flown many, many more miles (and have a high ranking in % of EXPs by miles flown) but have a relatively low EQM and EQD score.

For example, @Stripe posted earlier about having only flown 2* round the world but being EXP since October. Twice around the world is only about 50000 miles, so to be EXP one must assume that either all his (or her) flying was in Business or First or a good share of it was on F and J tickets, or it was all on short flights and EXP was earned on segments. Given that (s)he also had 25 upgrades, I would guess (s)he is flying short flights mainly, which will add up in EQDs fairly quickly. So, Stripe is way down the list of EXPs in terms of miles flown (lucky him / her) but possibly way up there in EQD rankings.
Interesting analysis but a bit off the mark. Yes, quite a bit of paid F and J. Hence just over 100K EQM from about 56K BIS. The relatively high bonus miles are also a clue to that. However, my EQD is still fairly low (~$13,500) and only 35 segments. Basically the year was a combo of two Europe flights, one paid F and one paid J, and domestic flights split between paid F and cheap Y fares. This was the least flying I have done to qualify for EXP in the 7 years I have earned that status.

Tougher upgrades, double EQM on premium fares, and the EQD requirement certainly got me to buy more F and J tickets. Ironically the more one does that the less useful the status becomes.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid

Yes I understand, which is why I just took the data as reference as I didn't know what their formula is.

Btw, the desktop version of this website is eating up so much system memory. Much better to use Mobile version at the moment. Too difficult to browse through the thread pages right now because it automatically goes to the next page if you scroll too far down.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
96 hours
2.5 times around the world
18 destinations (wrong)
Albuquerque (wrong, DFW, JFK or LHR)
EXP Nov 30
81559 bonus miles
62298 award miles
20+ upgrades
$100 checked bag savings (wrong, never check a bag)

Amusing yet inaccurate.

No percentage because I barely got by (Free agency fully embraced)
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Originally Posted by boerne
96 hours
2.5 times around the world
18 destinations (wrong)
Albuquerque (wrong, DFW, JFK or LHR)
EXP Nov 30
81559 bonus miles
62298 award miles
20+ upgrades
$100 checked bag savings (wrong, never check a bag)

Amusing yet inaccurate.

No percentage because I barely got by (Free agency fully embraced)
Curious to know how far off they were wrong by for destinations. I had 13 listed, which seemed low, and then I counted out endpoints (not connections) and only on oneworld airlines, and sure enough I was at 13.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 5:17 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Malchior
Agree that ran95k based on rolling EQD would have been nice
My Stats:
227 Hours in the sky
4 Times flown around the world
15 Destinations visited
September 11 Earned EXP
80,832 Bonus miles from elite status
95,238 Award miles earned without flying
70+ upgrades

No percentage given
Welcome to FlyerTalk, @Malchior!
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I never received the email, but my Gold wife did.

From the data posted here, it looks like I would be 9-10% EXP with 175K EQM / $22K EQD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.