Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

“Your year in review” email from AA (21 Dec 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Your year in review” email from AA (21 Dec 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
I just got mine and I love it

It didn't show my percentage, but I'm at the bottom, they probably only show top 20%. That is smart.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Fake news. My numbers are all wrong, there’s no “percentage of” indication either, or status mention other than by the FFN.

But tell me how I can be EXP, just one flight set books in at 40 hours in the air yet it says I have 41 hours. And it gives SFO as my most frequent destination - but SFO was my most frequent origin.

Interesting and cute first attempt. And IMO, this should really be generated very early in the new year, as its incomplete if anyone’s flying in what’s left of the year. Not bad, but needs improvement.
deeruck likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 21, 2017 at 9:17 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I saw Marriott do this in the past. I think this is a good thing for them to generate. Sure, some of the calculations are smoothed over, but that is okay. I believe the upgrade count is successful upgrades of whatever kind. It looks like there was a threshold for showing a percentage rank within an elite category, makes sense. CVS does something similar with its frequent shoppers ranking in its targeted mailings.

I agree with others that this is one way to evaluate your AA relationship. There is no better time to consider your options than as the new year starts since the airlines still like to use the calendar system for qualifications.

Rasheed

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Odd. I'm at 193 hours and 3x around the world. But it doesn't give me my %.

The other question is the calculation of "hours in the sky". Based upon flight time blocked or actual in the air, based upon takeoff/landing. I assume #1 , but then it's not true hours in the sky.
Same. Hours and times around the world and other stats, but no %.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
My love affair with "The New American" is coming to an end.2017Your year in reviewThey say the greatest gift you can give someone is your time. And we're grateful you've chosen to spend so much of yours with us in the skies.

Here's a 30,000-foot view of our time together this year:49Hours in the sky1.5Times flown around the world*
12Destinations visited*PhoenixMost visited destination*October 02Earned Platinum status23,785Bonus miles from elite status40,335Award miles earned without flying150,000Award miles redeemed for flights and upgrades15+Upgrades received$350Checked-bag savings
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
I love this email as well. I think it was Virgin Australia that I had seen done it earlier in the year and I was hopeful yet not optimistic AA would do the same. 241 hours in the air for me, top 12% among EXP and sneaked through to EXP by $109. Wasn't sure I'd requalify for EXP this year with EQDs but I found a way to do it
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
My email had a top % and a note that it was "based on miles flown", so that could explain how some of the smaller EQD folks got it as well.

Overall, I liked it. Fun/interesting email.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK

No percentage for me, but I did make CK
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Got it just now. Very interesting for me who fly CX mostly and AA for work (and grounded mostly this year).

Hours flown did not include CX/BA/IB flights credited to AA..So I flew 90 hours with AA but 4+X around the globe.

Most visited destination is 100% wrong for me (I know it's HKG...)
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Got it just now. Very interesting for me who fly CX mostly and AA for work (and grounded mostly this year).

Hours flown did not include CX/BA/IB flights credited to AA..So I flew 90 hours with AA but 4+X around the globe.

Most visited destination is 100% wrong for me (I know it's HKG...)
Thanks for posting this; it partly explains my hours count - no airline but AA. Nonetheless, it’s still very inaccurate for me, about a third (or less) of hours flown on AA this year.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
36 hours in air, 6 times around the world, 9 destinations and top 3% of ExP.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks for posting this; it partly explains my hours count - no airline but AA. Nonetheless, it’s still very inaccurate for me, about a third (or less) of hours flown on AA this year.
My hours with AA is very close. I went back to my log spreadsheet and did a quick addition, it was very close at the 90 hours range. (For some I need to change from operating airline to AA as I had an AA flight number)

For other metrics, to be fair, they include a footnote : "*These numbers include travel with American Airlines, oneworld® airlines and partner airlines. " And that's why my most visit location and number of destination visited were not correct (AA alone may be correct).

I love these kind of stats - if only they could be more accurate overall.One small step a day I guess.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Dec 21, 2017 at 10:03 am
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec Plat), United, Delta
I thought this was pretty cool at first, but my numbers seem off as well. For one, it probably doesn't include MH coach miles that earned nothing. But really weird: It says my most visited destination in 2017 was MIA? Could not be more wrong -- I landed there a grand total of one time the entire year, and it was an open-jaw itinerary that had me departing from FLL.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
61 hours in the sky
2+ upgrades (would love to know when the '+' was)
$25 saved in bag fees

Clearly mce is the only tangible benefit for my case as a Plat.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Mine says:
- 77 hours in the sky
- 4.5 times around the world
- 12 destinations visited
- Barcelona is my most visited destination
- Top 23% of EXP members based on miles flown
- 70+k bonus miles from elite status
- $755 checked-bag savings (I rarely fly domestic)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.