Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Premium Economy & Best PE Seat, Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA has 20 Boeing 777-323ER / 77W aircraft in the fleet.

The final configuration includes:

8 First Class seats
52 Business Class
28 Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats
. . . . (The 77W has received the same Premium Economy Seat as is in the 787-9 and other refitted widebodies.)
28 Main Cabin Extra (in 10 across configuration, all bulkheads or exit rows)
188 Main Cabin / Economy / Coach

All Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration, offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. The front (bulkhead) seats offer foot rest bars that deploy from the seat; other seats have footpegs under the seat in front of you.

Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

See post #1 for seat chart and illustration
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Premium Economy & Best PE Seat, Service

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
I looked up the seat map for today's (May 14th, 2018) flight 78 from DFW-LHR and it is switched to the 9 across MCE configuration from the 8 across PE configuration. Is the Monday DFW-LHR flight 78 always 9 across MCE or is it luck of the draw? How far out do they switch the aircraft so that I can scramble if our seats get moved? One of our 4 seats is a G seat which doesn't exist in MCE. We've put in for 4 mileage and co-pay upgrades to J, any idea as to the odds of getting that? Retrofit schedule for the last two aircraft?
There are only 2 non-PE equipped 77W's left. Looks like your flight is on one of them tonight (N717AN).

Within a month, there will be no non-PE 77W's left (likely sooner). I would imagine N717AN or N734AR will go to PAE this week sometime, followed by the one that doesn't go this week to go late next week or early the week thereafter.

RE: odds of upgrade for 4... it's a Monday flight at 7pm... going to be decent odds you'll clear at least some of them if you have status.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by econometrics
There are only 2 non-PE equipped 77W's left. Looks like your flight is on one of them tonight (N717AN).

Within a month, there will be no non-PE 77W's left (likely sooner). I would imagine N717AN or N734AR will go to PAE this week sometime, followed by the one that doesn't go this week to go late next week or early the week thereafter.

RE: odds of upgrade for 4... it's a Monday flight at 7pm... going to be decent odds you'll clear at least some of them if you have status.
We're flying next Monday, just looked up today's flight to see what was up. If I've put in for 4 upgrades, is it all or nothing? Do they wait until inside 72 hrs so that ExPlat's get upgraded before miles/co-pay upgrades? Shows 15 J seats currently open but 0 C availability.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
We're flying next Monday, just looked up today's flight to see what was up. If I've put in for 4 upgrades, is it all or nothing? Do they wait until inside 72 hrs so that ExPlat's get upgraded before miles/co-pay upgrades? Shows 15 J seats currently open but 0 C availability.
For long haul international flights like DFW-LHR there are no comp/500-mi upgrades, so there is no 100/72/48 hr upgrade windows, etc. AA can release C space at any time between now and the flight.

If all 4 of you are on the same PNR then yes, they will only clear you if 4 C seats open up at the same time. On a busy-ish route like DFW-LHR, with only 15 seats left in J, it will be standard AA protocol to not release any C space until around 48-24 hrs before the flight.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:53 am

Check expert flyer for actual number of open J seats. Just because it doesn't have a body in it on the seat map doesn't mean its available. As soon as you see 1 C level award you can call in and request the upgrade 1 seat at a time. You should beware that AA has had issues with 4 upgrades clearing all at once. Check out this usefull TPG article. https://thepointsguy.com/2018/02/avo...-upgrade-list/
Old May 14, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by sgan317
Check expert flyer for actual number of open J seats. Just because it doesn't have a body in it on the seat map doesn't mean its available. As soon as you see 1 C level award you can call in and request the upgrade 1 seat at a time. You should beware that AA has had issues with 4 upgrades clearing all at once. Check out this usefull TPG article. https://thepointsguy.com/2018/02/avo...-upgrade-list/
All flights between now and next Monday show 0 C availability. Expert flyer shows 15 J seats open which matches the AA seat map as well.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If all 4 of you are on the same PNR then yes, they will only clear you if 4 C seats open up at the same time.
Not entirely accurate. I've been #1 on the list a couple of times with others in my PNR waitlisted and the AAgent asked if I still wanted the upgrade or not (because there was only 1 J seat available).

Now that at least 1 pax will inherit the OP's status, it's possible that those 2 are upgraded and the others are not. This all assumes it goes to gate control to process the PALL list.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:10 am

Not entirely accurate. I've been #1 on the list a couple of times with others in my PNR waitlisted and the AAgent asked if I still wanted the upgrade or not (because there was only 1 J seat available).

Now that at least 1 pax will inherit the OP's status, it's possible that those 2 are upgraded and the others are not. This all assumes it goes to gate control to process the PALL list.
Two PNR's, 2+2. Have Expertflyer alert set for 1+ C availability. Based on 0 C on all flights DFW-LHR between now and Monday, will probably all end up on airport upgrade list?
Old May 14, 2018, 11:12 am

I think it would be more fitting to continue this convo here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...thread-65.html
Old May 14, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
All flights between now and next Monday show 0 C availability. Expert flyer shows 15 J seats open which matches the AA seat map as well.
Just for clarification, what it shows is 15 unassigned seats which is doesn't necessarily correspond to available inventory in J. There are possibly some pax that have purchased J seats, but failed to request a specific seating assignment thus showing those seat choices available for choosing.
econometrics likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
For long haul international flights like DFW-LHR there are no comp/500-mi upgrades, so there is no 100/72/48 hr upgrade windows, etc. AA can release C space at any time between now and the flight.

If all 4 of you are on the same PNR then yes, they will only clear you if 4 C seats open up at the same time. On a busy-ish route like DFW-LHR, with only 15 seats left in J, it will be standard AA protocol to not release any C space until around 48-24 hrs before the flight.
Good to know. If I could snag a couple 48 hrs in advance, 2 at airport would be a lot more likely. I've had 3 C clear DFW-LHR at airport before, but not 4. No C have opened from the time I purchased the tickets. Only one flight the following week has 7 C from 26 J available. So seems kind of tight.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:18 am

I think it would be more fitting to continue this convo here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...thread-65.html
This is a miles/co-pay upgrade. Don't have any SWU's.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:07 am

Looks like N717AN must be going to get retrofit. Starting today and also tomorrow, flight 78 DFW-LHR is using N735AT which has PE seats. So if we don't get C upgrades, we'll hopefully have the PE seats next week on our flight.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:22 pm

N717AN set to fly to PAE at 06:00 Central tomorrow (16 May) as AA9650.

This leaves N734AR as the sole 77W without PE.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:53 am

In case others are searching for C. In my case, one C DFW-LHR opened up 5 days before departure at 9am. Snagged it, 3 to go.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
My companion and I are flying LAX-LHR-LAX mid-June. We booked row 18 both ways as MCE. Looks like there's a good chance we will be in the new PE cabins?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.