Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Premium Economy & Best PE Seat, Service

Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA has 20 Boeing 777-323ER / 77W aircraft in the fleet.

The final configuration includes:

8 First Class seats
52 Business Class
28 Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats
. . . . (The 77W has received the same Premium Economy Seat as is in the 787-9 and other refitted widebodies.)
28 Main Cabin Extra (in 10 across configuration, all bulkheads or exit rows)
188 Main Cabin / Economy / Coach

All Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration, offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. The front (bulkhead) seats offer foot rest bars that deploy from the seat; other seats have footpegs under the seat in front of you.

Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

See post #1 for seat chart and illustration
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

For most AA900 in a couple of weeks (I checked December 28th through the 31st), the 77W listed doesn't have MCE. Jumps from row 15 to 20. It used to show as having MCE (I had a seat in row 17). I lost my MCE seat assignment and got moved to row 30-something. Called the EXP desk and they told me this plane doesn't have MCE. Any idea what's going on?

Seat photo c/o charliehotel
Attached Images  
JetJetty likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 29, 2018 at 12:34 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
PEY retrofits are now ongoing, rows 16-19... one aircraft is complete so far. You may be scheduled to fly on that one. The seatmap may be broken if it isn't showing that section.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Any idea which rows are MCE on the retrofitted 77W? That way I can at least pick that until the seatmap is fixed.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
For most AA900 in a couple of weeks (I checked December 28th through the 31st), the 77W listed doesn't have MCE. Jumps from row 15 to 20. It used to show as having MCE (I had a seat in row 17). I lost my MCE seat assignment and got moved to row 30-something. Called the EXP desk and they told me this plane doesn't have MCE. Any idea what's going on?
phone agents that tell you that excuse just scream incompetence.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:27 pm

Any idea which rows are MCE on the retrofitted 77W? That way I can at least pick that until the seatmap is fixed.
nothing solid is out there, as we don't have reports from anyone who has been on this bus yet. the seatmap online shows some orange (presumably MCE) seats in the center block of seats at the front of the rear Y section.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Seems like none American Airlines Changes What Main Cabin Extra Means on Their 777-300ERs - View from the Wing
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:34 pm

American Airlines Changes What Main Cabin Extra Means on Their 777-300ERs - View from the Wing

American Airlines Changes What Main Cabin Extra Means on Their 777-300ERs
by Gary Leff on December 19, 2017

With the Boeing 777-300ER reconfiguration it appears theyve gone US Airways style. The former Main Cabin Extra rows are now the new premium economy cabin. And its just the bulkhead seats behind premium economy in that section that is Main Cabin Extra. There is no more section at the front of coach with extra legroom. Instead the exit rows are naturally sold as Main Cabin Extra and they sell a block of extra legroom middle seats at the back of the plane as Main Cabin Extra.

American is eliminating the idea of a section of extra legroom seats at the front of coach from their 777-300ERs. Presumably this is about squeezing more seats into the plane, but has the added benefit of making sure Main Cabin Extra isnt good enough for those who might buy up to Premium Economy. And thats all on top of changing the Main Cabin Extra section in their 777-300s from 9-abreast seating to 10-abreast, taking away shoulder width. With this reconfiguration the plane goes from Americans best long haul plane for elites flying coach to arguably their worst long haul plane for elites flying coach.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:37 pm

Now for my own personal commentary. **** these ****ers and their tireless race to the bottom.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

wow, that is effed up. If this is indeed the case, hopefully I can score one of the PEY seats as they are not being sold as PEY. But in the future, having no real MCE Is going to suck.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:47 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
But in the future, having no real MCE Is going to suck.
"real MCE" on AA is just an extra legroom seat, which the 77Ws will continue to have. It sucks that MCE is going 10-across, but that was to be expected with the retrofit.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
"real MCE" on AA is just an extra legroom seat, which the 77Ws will continue to have. It sucks that MCE is going 10-across, but that was to be expected with the retrofit.
Not just 10-across, but now it will only be bulkheads (non movable arm rests) or exit row seats (no mobility-impaired or travelling with children).
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Sort-of. Theyll continue to have a very small number of them, and theyre awkwardly placed in the center section towards the back of coach. Compare that with the Real MCE on the renovated 772s and youll see the real difference.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
How much legroom do these center section seats in the rear of the 77W have? TBH, I've never sat in anything other than F, J, or MCE on this aircraft after my 15 or so flights on it.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
How much legroom do these center section seats in the rear of the 77W have? TBH, I've never sat in anything other than F, J, or MCE on this aircraft after my 15 or so flights on it.
no one knows. no one has flown a revenue flight with this config yet.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
For what it's worth, I don't think I'd miss the old MCE cabin that much.
The lack of padding, limited recline (was in 17L on 192 yesterday and the recline was bad for E+) and shockingly shallow seat pan makes this design a real pain after 4-5 hours. A domestic seat at best.

Last edited by Enhancements; Dec 19, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.