Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:49 am

2 for 2 this year, LAX-JFK on 2/15 and the return on the 2/15 (Monday).

Query: i got an email this morning that my return flight has been upgraded, but there’s no seat assignment, which hasn’t happened to me before. The two aisle seats that were available last night are gone, so I’m hoping that I was assigned one of them, even though in the reservation it says to select my seat. I”m thinking of leaving well enough alone for a few hours to see if an assignment shows up, since only windows are left from which to choose in J. Or should I call the EXP desk?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by critterchick

Query: i got an email this morning that my return flight has been upgraded, but there’s no seat assignment, which hasn’t happened to me before. The two aisle seats that were available last night are gone, so I’m hoping that I was assigned one of them, even though in the reservation it says to select my seat. I”m thinking of leaving well enough alone for a few hours to see if an assignment shows up, since only windows are left from which to choose in J. Or should I call the EXP desk?
Give them a call if you have a free moment. It can't hurt. IMO
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:16 pm

EXP with $21k in EQD.

So for this year 2 for 12 on upgradeable domestic flights

Cleared: ORD-PHX, ORD-LGA
Missed: ORD-LAX (4), DCA-ORD, ORD-LGA, LGA-ORD (2), ORD-BOS, BOS-ORD

Was #1 on list twice. 5 times have been greater than 10th on list. (19th on ORD-BOS)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/SPG 50P/ Hilton Diamond
BOS-DFW code Y/PHL-BOS code V

Flight departed at 6am, clear at 3 am.

flight from philly cleared at the gate. 1st on the list.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/SPG 50P/ Hilton Diamond
Phl-lax/dfw-phl

Last flight on Thursday evening, cleared 4 days before departure...
flight from DFW cleared one day before depature
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by critterchick

AA changed procedures during the upgrading a few months back. You likely have a seat preference in your online profile (mine is "aisle"). If at upgrade, there are no aisles available, they do not assign you (whereas before they would've assigned you into the window). Your upgrade certainly has gone through, there are just no available aisle seats. If there's any preference to a window seat; I'd grab the one you want and then just monitor to see if an aisle opens up. You can switch later. If you do not assign a seat, you'll get anything available at check-in
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lds89
AA changed procedures during the upgrading a few months back. You likely have a seat preference in your online profile (mine is "aisle"). If at upgrade, there are no aisles available, they do not assign you (whereas before they would've assigned you into the window). Your upgrade certainly has gone through, there are just no available aisle seats. If there's any preference to a window seat; I'd grab the one you want and then just monitor to see if an aisle opens up. You can switch later. If you do not assign a seat, you'll get anything available at check-in
Hmm...this is a welcome development, but it certainly isn't working perfectly, at least for me! Last week I cleared BOS-DFW just inside T-24 and got assigned 4C, despite the fact that my seat preference is set to window and that 3A (and possibly one other) was empty. Once I saw the upgrade come through I quickly logged on to change to 3A. This was on an A321, so it's not like 3A was a bulkhead and the computer automatically avoided it when assigning seats.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:30 am

Good to know - I do indeed have an aisle seat preference. They ended up upgrading a bunch of pax from J to F, and then from Y to J. If I had gotten to the gate 45 minutes before the flight I probably could have gotten an aisle seat, but the window was just fine. I'm agile/limber/strong enough to climb over my fully reclined seatmate without waking him or her. I would rather not, but it wasn't a big deal.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Mrs. boerne, PPro, has started to score upgrades DFW-AUS, like last week, except 5 of her flights were cancelled in 1 day, as they were for everyone else. So the sample size isn't adequate. However, Friday I was #2 on the list, and got a battlefield upgrade before the doors closed, DFW- AUS.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
AA changed procedures during the upgrading a few months back. You likely have a seat preference in your online profile (mine is "aisle"). If at upgrade, there are no aisles available, they do not assign you (whereas before they would've assigned you into the window). ...
What I find most interesting is that on every flight I've been upgraded on on an E175 or a CR7, etc., it always puts me in an F seat, instead of an A seat. My preference is window, and the A seats are clearly the best because they are both windows and aisles, but it seems that the AA system purposely doesn't assign me A seats because they are also aisles. As if it's coded to simply "not aisle."
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DMPHL
What I find most interesting is that on every flight I've been upgraded on on an E175 or a CR7, etc., it always puts me in an F seat, instead of an A seat. My preference is window, and the A seats are clearly the best because they are both windows and aisles, but it seems that the AA system purposely doesn't assign me A seats because they are also aisles. As if it's coded to simply "not aisle."
This is interesting that the seats on the E-17X-19X and CR7/9 on the left side are Window seats "A" so why would AA system not place you in them?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is interesting that the seats on the E-17X-19X and CR7/9 on the left side are Window seats "A" so why would AA system not place you in them?
I think DMPHL must be right that they are coded as something other than window or aisle, as I have aisle preference selected and never get upgraded to an A seat either when they are the only "aisle" seats left - usually no seat is assigned in those cases. I always assumed they must be windows, but it looks like not.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It may be that since it's ALSO an aisle, the system says to itself, "No, he doesn't like aisle seats." Or whatever the technical way of doing that is.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by WearyTravellerMSP
EXP with $21k in EQD.

So for this year 2 for 12 on upgradeable domestic flights

Cleared: ORD-PHX, ORD-LGA
Missed: ORD-LAX (4), DCA-ORD, ORD-LGA, LGA-ORD (2), ORD-BOS, BOS-ORD

Was #1 on list twice. 5 times have been greater than 10th on list. (19th on ORD-BOS)

are most of these flights at prime business time? Those are some pretty rough lists
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
First two flights of the year that were not international full fare J and I'm 0/2 on domestic upgrades as PPRO.

Side observation. While waiting for my plane to depart SAT I received an email that my upgrade had cleared. Excited I went to check and discovered it was for my flight out to LAX on Thursday. This falls under the 72 hour window for PPRO but the oddity was... I was already booked and paid for in First Class for that trip... So What exactly was upgraded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.