FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:56 pm
lds89

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by critterchick
2 for 2 this year, LAX-JFK on 2/15 and the return on the 2/15 (Monday).

Query: i got an email this morning that my return flight has been upgraded, but there’s no seat assignment, which hasn’t happened to me before. The two aisle seats that were available last night are gone, so I’m hoping that I was assigned one of them, even though in the reservation it says to select my seat. I”m thinking of leaving well enough alone for a few hours to see if an assignment shows up, since only windows are left from which to choose in J. Or should I call the EXP desk?
AA changed procedures during the upgrading a few months back. You likely have a seat preference in your online profile (mine is "aisle"). If at upgrade, there are no aisles available, they do not assign you (whereas before they would've assigned you into the window). Your upgrade certainly has gone through, there are just no available aisle seats. If there's any preference to a window seat; I'd grab the one you want and then just monitor to see if an aisle opens up. You can switch later. If you do not assign a seat, you'll get anything available at check-in