Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

My Colleague Was Bumped from Upgraded F Seat by a Celeb

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador

Mods, feel free to move this as it’s a downgrade story, but a particularly funny one...
Flight is LAX to DFW. My co worker and I are both CK key and fly this route often. Our upgrade percentage is about 50%. Rarely do we get upgraded ahead of time. Last week my colleague is upgraded 24 hours ahead of time. He has a boarding pass and everything. We get to the flight. We are greeted by CK gate staff. We board. He takes his seat. Just when the plane is nearly full a FA or GA- not sure - comes up and says: “I’m sorry, I have some bad news.” First off, I would have thought my house burned down or something- poorly phrased, though, yes indeed, not good news.

He proceeds to say there has been a “mix up” and someone has this same seat. My colleague, who is not like me and is fairly laid back, aquieces and agrees to take the economy exit row seat. They shuttle him away.

Then who walks onto the plane? Neon Deion Sanders strolls in and takes that exact seat.

I would have been furious, but I’m a complainer. My colleague took it in stride and sent a polite complaint to AA.

They gave him 7500 miles, which seems low for kicking you out of a seat that you had a BP for?

I told him he should have gotten his confirmed BP signed by Deion and sent that to AA.
50ae likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:34 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Downgrading a CK member after being seated would indicate there were no other lesser statuses and the cabin was full of paid F tickets. Otherwise, might the GA have gone to the lowest elite on the totem pole? I guess not totally out of the question on heavy routes, and it wouldn't be the first story of a complimentary upgrade being rescinded.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I would have been pissed. I would have told Mr Sanders to vacate his seat although that would promptly put this thread into bad omni territory.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by JBauer
Mods, feel free to move this as it’s a downgrade story, but a particularly funny one...
Flight is LAX to DFW. My co worker and I are both CK key and fly this route often. Our upgrade percentage is about 50%. Rarely do we get upgraded ahead of time. Last week my colleague is upgraded 24 hours ahead of time. He has a boarding pass and everything. We get to the flight. We are greeted by CK gate staff. We board. He takes his seat. Just when the plane is nearly full a FA or GA- not sure - comes up and says: “I’m sorry, I have some bad news.” First off, I would have thought my house burned down or something- poorly phrased, though, yes indeed, not good news.

He proceeds to say there has been a “mix up” and someone has this same seat. My colleague, who is not like me and is fairly laid back, aquieces and agrees to take the economy exit row seat. They shuttle him away.

Then who walks onto the plane? Neon Deion Sanders strolls in and takes that exact seat.

I would have been furious, but I’m a complainer. My colleague took it in stride and sent a polite complaint to AA.

They gave him 7500 miles, which seems low for kicking you out of a seat that you had a BP for?

I told him he should have gotten his confirmed BP signed by Deion and sent that to AA.
I’m glad your colleague was reasonable about it. I’m not sure why you would be “furious” about not flying in a seat you didn’t pay for and instead flying in the seat you did.
Calchas likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:01 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kb9522

I’m glad your colleague was reasonable about it. I’m not sure why you would be “furious” about not flying in a seat you didn’t pay for and instead flying in the seat you did.
Doesn't this fall into the Dr. Dao UA incident category? CK has a bp issued 24 hours earlier (I assume he checked in at T-24) for a FC seat, the GA must have scanned his bp and let pax board the plane, he is now seated in the seat listed on his bp. It would be interesting to see how the scenario would have played out if the pax refused to vacate HIS seat?--being dragged off the plane AND a few million $ richer.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by JBauer

I can understand your colleague's disappointment but in the end, he was on a free upgrade. My guess is that the celebrity was on a paid F ticket.
Calchas likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
It would be interesting to see how the scenario would have played out if the pax refused to vacate HIS seat?--being dragged off the plane AND a few million $ richer.
A video of a passenger being dragged off the plane by Deion Sanders would be priceless!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
Doesn't this fall into the Dr. Dao UA incident category? CK has a bp issued 24 hours earlier (I assume he checked in at T-24) for a FC seat, the GA must have scanned his bp and let pax board the plane, he is now seated in the seat listed on his bp. It would be interesting to see how the scenario would have played out if the pax refused to vacate HIS seat?--being dragged off the plane AND a few million $ richer.
It’s not his seat. It’s AAs. They expressly reserve the right to change seats per the CoC.

OP’s colleague paid for a Y seat, and that’s precisely what he flew in. So even beyond the legalese, OPs colleague (or OP) would have had no grounds to even be remotely annoyed about this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
It’s not his seat. It’s AAs. They expressly reserve the right to change seats
So using that logic Dao’s seat was UA’s to begin with. Why did he protest vacating it
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Looks like your pal got No time from Primetime.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:31 pm

Deon Sanders is a celebrity? Yea, I would have been upset. Now if had been a real celebrity, like Giannis Antetokounmpo, I would have been ok with it.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:53 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

It’s not his seat. It’s AAs. They expressly reserve the right to change seats per the CoC.

OP’s colleague paid for a Y seat, and that’s precisely what he flew in. So even beyond the legalese, OPs colleague (or OP) would have had no grounds to even be remotely annoyed about this.
Once AA allowed him to board the plane and sit in the seat noted on his bp (just like UA did with Dr. Dao) it's not clear how AA should handle that issue--apparently UA invoked THE rules AND "lost" monetarily as well as publicity-wise.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian

So using that logic Dao’s seat was UA’s to begin with. Why did he protest vacating it
They weren't asking Dao to change seats. They were telling him to leave the plane entirely. And to delay his flight overnight.
Different kettle of fish.
And as someone suggested, I would have asked Sanders to sign my BP. Worth at least a couple of drinks at a sports bar.
Pasqualle7 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian

Correct. UA should have fought it in court. They would have won.

Originally Posted by nrr
Once AA allowed him to board the plane and sit in the seat noted on his bp (just like UA did with Dr. Dao) it's not clear how AA should handle that issue--apparently UA invoked THE rules AND "lost" monetarily as well as publicity-wise.
It’s actually very clear in the CoC. The CoC doesn’t magically go away once you cross the threshold onto the plane.

It’s a shame the public cares more about protecting their absurd sense of entitlement than they do about the actual rules.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Deon Sanders is a celebrity? Yea, I would have been upset. Now if had been a real celebrity, like Giannis Antetokounmpo, I would have been ok with it.
No one so far has asked "who's that?" about Neon. I bet the GF would have received quite a few.

I doubt there was a mix-up, just Deion showing up at the last minute and paying $$$$ for a paid F seat, so the last upgrade was bumped. It happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.