Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

My Colleague Was Bumped from Upgraded F Seat by a Celeb

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Colleague Was Bumped from Upgraded F Seat by a Celeb

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kb9522

Yeah... no. Maybe if you had a fully refundable fare? I don’t know the rules about it though.

You would definitely be entitled to a refund of the fare difference though.
If pax buys F and AA chooses to offer Y so someone else can fly F, pax should absolutely be allowed to cancel for refund. AA would argue they should compensate like $50 though.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by rjw242
If the celeb paid the walk-up F fare, he was entitled to the seat in every sense.
No - if the cabin was full, they should have said so and moved on. I've flown on full F plenty using AAirpass and would never suggest that booking into full F should guarantee availability.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9522
It is unambiguous. Seat assignments are not guaranteed. Operational is not in the definitions section and is not defined anywhere else in the document to my knowledge... the common definition does in fact give them carte blanche.
If they wanted carte blanche then they should have written "any reason". They didn't. Doubt it would hold up, if it came to that.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by 869
No - if the cabin was full, they should have said so and moved on.
The cabin was only full because someone had a free upgrade. Makes perfect business sense to rescind the freebie and accept the thousands of dollars from the customer willing to pay for it.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:01 pm

I just feel like this isn't an argument worth having after that statement.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by 869
If pax buys F and AA chooses to offer Y so someone else can fly F, pax should absolutely be allowed to cancel for refund.
But they’re not. Why is it that people think the terms and conditions they agreed to magically stop applying when it says something they don’t like?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
If you're interested in protecting your bottom line, leave PR to the professionals.
This is of course why they settled. It doesn’t however change the fact that UA was not wrong in a legal sense.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
If they wanted carte blanche then they should have written "any reason". They didn't. Doubt it would hold up, if it came to that.
Originally Posted by beachfan
There are plenty of people who would interpret "operational" not to give them carte blanche. The fact that there is widespread disagreement on what it means is proof that it's ambiguous.
So two things here.

1. I’ve gone slightly down the wrong path... It seems this was an oversales issue. There is even less ambiguity about it now.

2. Lacking a formal definition in the context of the document, the common meaning applies (as someone pointed out to me in another thread). Operational means anything pertaining to normal function and activity. I would argue that getting passengers from A to B is a normal function, so yes, they would essentially have carte blanche. But I agree it would be interesting to see a court decision about it.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
All this business of "he shouldn't be pissed losing a free seat" is nonsense. Frequent flyers fly a lot of miles and spend a lot of money to earn the benefit. Having said that - why hasn't this made it to the celebrity sightings thread?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El
All this business of "he shouldn't be pissed losing a free seat" is nonsense. Frequent flyers fly a lot of miles and spend a lot of money to earn the benefit. Having said that - why hasn't this made it to the celebrity sightings thread?
You think frequent flyer programs are to reward customers for their loyalty? That’s cute.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
If the celeb paid the walk-up F fare, he was entitled to the seat in every sense.
and in this case, we have absolutely no evidence that is what occurred.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
The cabin was only full because someone had a free upgrade. Makes perfect business sense to rescind the freebie and accept the thousands of dollars from the customer willing to pay for it.
The cabin was full. Period. The "celeb" wasn't any kind of celebrity--Tom Brady is a celebrity. If the vast majority of people wouldn't recognize you on the street--you're no celebrity. An aggrieved CK sent to coach is worth way more to the airline than an occasional pax willing to pay a walk-up F fare. A stupid decision by AA.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by grrizzli
The cabin was full. Period. The "celeb" wasn't any kind of celebrity--Tom Brady is a celebrity. If the vast majority of people wouldn't recognize you on the street--you're no celebrity.
Your personal definition couldn't be less relevant.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Your personal definition couldn't be less relevant.
Sorry, Mr. Sanders. You're still not famous enough to call yourself a celebrity.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JBauer
Neon Deion Sanders strolls in and takes that exact seat.
Am I the only one who has no idea who this is?
apeortdz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.