Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive Platinum Average EQD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bse118
(and if those folks with the higher EQD totals are primarily buying first and/or business class tickets or are earning a large chunk of their EQDs by flying partner carriers – then they are largely irrelevant as far as upgrade priority competition is concerned)
Huh? EQDs are earned differently on flights marketed by other partners (based on flight distance/fare class, rather than ticket price), but those EQDs still count toward AA upgrade priority. They certainly aren't "largely irrelevant."

Some have suggested that non-AA spend may provide less priority for CK consideration (I'm not sure I've seen that confirmed anywhere, but it's been mentioned in the CK thread).

However, EQDs are EQDs, regardless of whether they come from AA flights, partner flights, or credit card spend -- all methods contribute to elite upgrade priority.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by msv777
Done flying for the year. Mostly trans cons and int’l J. Will start back up again 1/2/18...<br /><br />EQD $18.4k<br />EQM 105k<br />EQS 34<br /><br />Cheers.
I think we will see many in your category getting EXP - mostly long haul in premium cabin - making the EQD by spend but the EQM with the double EQM that goes with J. So actual BIS for 100K EQM is really only 50K in J. So this group is not really in the upgrade pool for shorter and midcon flights

.So someone with $64K spend and 320K EQM - has likely really only flown 160K BIS miles. Once you reach the 100K EQM - additional EQM only provide more eVIPs at 50K increments. In the end - it all comes down to EQD for miles earned and upgrade priority.

Last edited by cova; Dec 2, 2017 at 10:45 am
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AA CK; UA GS; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond; AMEX Centurion
My assumption is AA conducted significant proprietary research prior to arriving at the $12k EQD; 100k EQM; 120 EQS EXP threshold... therefore, there would be a normal distribution of EXP flyers where the minima is $12k USD and upper limits approximately $65k, at which point we enter CK territory.

Based upon seeing colleagues’ travel and spend - 120-150k EQM with $14-18k spend is typical for a “garden variety” EXP.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:32 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by bse118
(and if those folks with the higher EQD totals are primarily buying first and/or business class tickets or are earning a large chunk of their EQDs by flying partner carriers – then they are largely irrelevant as far as upgrade priority competition is concerned)
Over $10,000 of my $13,000 EQDs were earned flying BA metal in PE.

That doesn't affect anything in regards to my domestic upgrades when I do fly AA.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MIAPharmaGuy
My assumption is AA conducted significant proprietary research prior to arriving at the $12k EQD; 100k EQM; 120 EQS EXP threshold... therefore, there would be a normal distribution of EXP flyers where the minima is $12k USD and upper limits approximately $65k, at which point we enter CK territory.

Based upon seeing colleagues’ travel and spend - 120-150k EQM with $14-18k spend is typical for a “garden variety” EXP.
I am sure AA did that analysis. But being competitive with the same levels that UA and DL have is probably part of it too. AA was the last to the table (except AS which isn't there yet).
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by infinite97
That's disgusting, actually more like physically revolting. ... do you do that necessitates so much travel? Posted from DFW-C club
Hasnt been too bad, really. Without going into details, I'm leading two projects that are 12 time zones apart.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:07 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
EQD: $17K
EQM: 108K
EQS: 58

Upgrades have been 100% YTD...but in fairness I manage my buying by looking at available seats for sale in Expertflyer in F - now J prior to purchase. I also tend to travel midcons. I have had a couple of Unlimited upgrades clear JFK-SFO-JFK and all my SWU/BXP1 requests have cleared either at booking or at least more than 4 days prior to the flight.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:42 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
This whole game:
  1. Feel inferior to those who spend more of OPM than you spend
  2. Feel superior to those who do not spend as much OPM as you spend
... is fairly hard to manage, because it's Self-Reporting. We measure's everyone's worth as a human by how much OPM they PURPORT to spend. How can we know if people tell the truth? After all, the bigger the whopper, the more respect the liar earns.

So ... I proposes an easier game.​​​​​​
  1. At the airport, look around for people who are physically smaller than you are.
  2. When you find someone smaller than you, beat the living tar out of him/her
Benefits of measuring one's worth by a physical attribute rather than an intangible one:
  • Easier to know if someone's telling the truth
  • Less damaging to the economy (in terms of corporate profits)
  • Instant gratification. Instead of waiting to trump someone on the upgrade list, you get to whup their butt immediately.
  • Small people have a huge advantage when occupying cramped main-cabin seats, so it's only fair that we invent a game which puts them at a disadvantage.
Having said all that, I probably spend more on airfare than most people, which makes me a better person, right?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I sure hope there is some selection bias in the responses in this thread, because my 13,8xx EQDs is looking pretty puny. 104K EQMs.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MIAPharmaGuy

No. Delta did a lot of proprietary research to arrive at their EQD requirements. UA and AA simply copied them.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Having said all that, I probably spend more on airfare than most people, which makes me a better person, right?
It's funny how quickly it all changed. Before the new upgrade priority went into effect, FT posters used to brag about how little they spent to achieve EXP (or any given status level). Now, it's all about high EQDs and upgrade priority.

Interesting how quickly the game was turned on its head... Parker & Co. must be loving this.

To any newbies, I'd advise not worrying too much about EQDs. In most cases, it will be much easier and cost-effective just to buy J/F than worrying about adding more EQDs for upgrade priority or even status itself, particularly if the main reason for achieving status is upgrade priority (which, granted, isn't the case for everyone).
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by phazedowt
$12,023! Squeaked in by a hair and will below all the rest of you for upgrade priority next year.
Now that's impressive. I finished at $12,033 although my real spend was a lot less.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:46 pm

EQD: $43k
EQM: 173k
Segments: 44

Have one more DFW-CDG-DFW in paid J to go this year.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
EQD = $17,250 so far. I think that puts me higher on the UPG list than this thread suggests, based on recent flights.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, SPG/Marriott Platinum
Based out of SFO. Always clear my SFO-JFK flights but rarely get anything from SFO-DFW (going out on Tuesday morning this week and not Monday, so maybe?) . Recently cleared 1/41 ORD-SFO and 1/43 MSP-ORD at the gate.

$1k EQD about 7500 EQM planned in Dec but here's where I am:

EQD: 13,206
EQM: 121,591
EDS: 92

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.