Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by ringingup
Got an email about catering in my LAX-JFK tomorrow.

It’s wording is a bit vague though. It’s unclear weather my flight would be catered or not.

it mentions vouchers but not nothing attached. How do they send the vouchers?
I just got mine for LAX-HKG. The first email was titled: "Catering on your upcoming flight from LAX" and was sent from [email protected]. A subsequent email was sent 2 hours later titled: "About your Recent Flight: A Message from American Airlines" sent from [email protected]. The link to the evoucher is at the very bottom of the second email.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
I just got mine for LAX-HKG. The first email was titled: "Catering on your upcoming flight from LAX" and was sent from [email protected]. A subsequent email was sent 2 hours later titled: "About your Recent Flight: A Message from American Airlines" sent from [email protected]. The link to the evoucher is at the very bottom of the second email.
I just got the second email. It says that delivery of the voucher will be by post. Maybe because I’m based in the UK? Not sure where they’ll get my address from.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I just got the second email. It says that delivery of the voucher will be by post. Maybe because I’m based in the UK? Not sure where they’ll get my address from.
Well, 30 minutes after receiving the email with the voucher I got another (third) email from Customer Relations apologizing for the food and beverage on the flight and stating I will receive a $200 voucher via email.

One thing that might affect you is the evouchers are only for flights originating in the US.

eVouchers are redeemable toward the purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and the American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA eVouchers are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner or AA* Codeshare flight. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
I’m currently on 2462 LAX-DFW (luckily a short flight so not that big of a deal). Catering (if you could call it that) is extremely limited. No glassware in first, just plastic cups. There was a choice of box lunches; a salad or turkey wrap but they ran out of salads by the time they got to me. It’s strange because I flew AA from LAX to OKC on the 11th of November and we had glassware plus proper setups for our breakfast and a fairly normal breakfast offering (this being a lot closer to when the Listeria problem first surfaced).

I also never received an email from AA informing me of a potential catering issue on my flight today (my brother took this same flight a week ago and got a warning email before the flight). No mileage or voucher compensation offers as of yet either.

I think the biggest let down of this flight is the crew. They brought their own food onboard and warmed it in the ovens causing the forward part of 1st to smell like a delicious fresh pizza but obviously none of us were able to enjoy it. It was also strange because the crew seemed basically clueless about why this was all going on and they were telling passengers around me that AA is switching caterers and it has only been like this for about 2 weeks. Not even a voluntary apology or explanation offered when the box lunch and plastic cups were presented. Perhaps some better internal communication to crew members would be ideal. People would probably not be as angry if they knew there was a health hazard at the catering facility and that’s why things are helter skelter right now. Also, even though it was not the crew’s fault, an initial apology to passengers would have gone far in my book.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Well I can confirm that we have received the same email about the vouchers being sent by post! Fat lot of good that is.

im unclear what the vouchers can be redeemed for... is it only OneWorld flights or can they be used to purchase goods on board?

@ringingup... see you tomorrow at LAX in the Qantas lounge!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Well I can confirm that we have received the same email about the vouchers being sent by post! Fat lot of good that is.

im unclear what the vouchers can be redeemed for... is it only OneWorld flights or can they be used to purchase goods on board?

@ringingup... see you tomorrow at LAX in the Qantas lounge!
I asked the Twitter team for clarifications on the voucher and how it could be sent by post if they don’t have my address! They said the gate agent will explain...

@oxtailsoup I hope I’ll make it to the Qantas lounge! With my SFO-LAX arriving at the American Eagles terminal and our LAX-JFK leaving from T5, it’s looking very tight!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
Reverse

So I’m flying back finally on my reverse International LAX flight LAX> AKL, AKL > LAX flight.. Even this flight was seriously lacking on the return 80% of the wine list was what was not stated. Menu had an Albariño and Malbec both were not available. Even champagne wasn’t really champagne watched her pour me prosecco. ( yes champagne was stated on the menu)

Nuts tasted stale and left over, guys sorry �� I was hoping the reverse flight would be decent. Make sure to at least stuff yourself at the lounge too. Good thing I did but NZ qantas lounge is terrible.

Last edited by PandaSoPink; Nov 27, 2017 at 9:37 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: AA PLT; DL Gold MDL
Took this this flight on Thanksgiving. Went to the One World Business lounge and ate a big meal. Honestly could have cared less about what was served as we just wanted to sleep. Happily accepted the $200 voucher. Having said that, dinner choices were the standard “chicken or pasta”. Breakfast was either fruit plate or ham and cheese panini.

Crew was very apologetic and top notch. Received PJs, mattress cover and kit.

Enjoy your flight!

Originally Posted by gdam22
Any update on LAX/SYD?

I'm 100% with those that are hoping for the JAL/Qantas catering! Certain upgrade.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: alaska
Thanks Mike.

So for the most part, seems like they still don't have it figured out nearly a month later...with no estimate on it being fixed...ouch.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I was on AA 4 in First LAX-JFK on Sunday. In spite of meal orders coming back last week online, we were not catered to FlAAgship F standards. The meal was effectively a domestic setup, although the Purser portioned it out. First course was a "salad" of fresh lettuce served in the traditional domestic F salad / dessert casserole dish. Second course was a choice of a cold chicken salad or a hot creamy chicken dish. F/A did not have catering sheets to describe further. Creamy chicken dish did not resemble any other domestic F meal I have ever seen, but was presented in the domestic F casserole and was similar in quantity to the Herbes de Provence chicken. Dessert was a slice of cheesecake. I was a bit confused because I was expecting full catering based on JonNYC's tweets. Got the email the night before and a separate voucher for $100 received prior to takeoff. No one in the club, the gate or even the F/A's on board really knew what was going to be served. Seemed a mystery to everyone (they were going through the ovens in the galleys during boarding to see what had been flown in on the inbound from JFK). No menus, F/A mentioned 2 red wines boarded and I saw a bottle of Lanson in the galley used for PDB's (in plastic).
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by daron4000
I was on AA 4 in First LAX-JFK on Sunday. In spite of meal orders coming back last week online, we were not catered to FlAAgship F standards. The meal was effectively a domestic setup, although the Purser portioned it out. First course was a "salad" of fresh lettuce served in the traditional domestic F salad / dessert casserole dish. Second course was a choice of a cold chicken salad or a hot creamy chicken dish. F/A did not have catering sheets to describe further. Creamy chicken dish did not resemble any other domestic F meal I have ever seen, but was presented in the domestic F casserole and was similar in quantity to the Herbes de Provence chicken. Dessert was a slice of cheesecake. I was a bit confused because I was expecting full catering based on JonNYC's tweets. Got the email the night before and a separate voucher for $100 received prior to takeoff. No one in the club, the gate or even the F/A's on board really knew what was going to be served. Seemed a mystery to everyone (they were going through the ovens in the galleys during boarding to see what had been flown in on the inbound from JFK). No menus, F/A mentioned 2 red wines boarded and I saw a bottle of Lanson in the galley used for PDB's (in plastic).
AA's internal memo as of 11/22 says flights to JFK will be two class catered only (until Dec 13 I believe): Premium and main cabin, so I believe F/J get the same catering until 12/13.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:57 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
AA's internal memo as of 11/22 says flights to JFK will be two class catered only (until Dec 13 I believe): Premium and main cabin, so I believe F/J get the same catering until 12/13.
The lack of knowledge regarding how these flights are being catered is appalling, considering this is now going on weeks. As they say, the fish rots from the head....
dll, smuDC-10, SFO777 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Currently in F on LAX-PHL AA 598. They have limited choices and mentioned that the passengers should’ve been notified beforehand. I didn’t get an email or anything with any notification or vouchers. Theres lasagna and greek salad though for first, but they ran out of the lasagna by row 3
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
The lack of knowledge regarding how these flights are being catered is appalling, considering this is now going on weeks. As they say, the fish rots from the head....
Meanwhile Delta used the same catering facility, had no impact to their LAX meals and also figured out a solution for their catering and customers ASAP. This is what we get when a garbage airline like US Airways takes over a premium airline like AA. We have the AA unions to thank as they got into bed with the devil aka Parker.

Delta effectively fended of a US Airways takeover.....remember the "Keep Delta, My Delta" campaign that employees rallied around?

So many major projects have been botched and/or mishandled by this management team: meal changes in 2014 (lite bites sure went away quickly), the uniform crisis (still ongoing), now this and who knows what else!

Sorry, rant over.
MAH4546, smuDC-10, SFO777 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Nov 28, 2017 at 7:55 pm
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Meanwhile Delta used the same catering facility, had no impact to their LAX meals and also figured out a solution for their catering and customers ASAP. This is what we get when a garbage airline like US Airways takes over a premium airline like AA. We have the AA unions to thank as they got into bed with the devil aka Parker.

Delta effectively fended of a US Airways takeover.....remember the "Keep Delta, My Delta" campaign that employees rallied around?

So many major projects have been botched and/or mishandled by this management team: meal changes in 2014 (lite bites sure went away quickly), the uniform crisis (still ongoing), now this and who knows what else!

Sorry, rant over.
People need to vote with their wallet and stop putting up with the garbage that is "the new American." I frequently purchased premium class tickets from LA to New York and Miami. That's done now and all my flying to NY/Miami is jetBlue Mint, and elsewhere (where I usually just pay for coach), it's Alaska. It's night and day how much better those products are. On my FLL-LAX flight the other day, the guy sitting in front me spent 5 minutes thanking the flight attendant for how amazing Mint is and trashing American Airlines' MIA-LAX product since the merger. And I bet we were not the only defectors on that plane.

Literally the only thing American Airlines has started to get right is lounges, so I've kept my Citi Exec card for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.